• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible electrification of routes as bolt-ons to the Integrated Rail Plan (IRP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn1969

Established Member
My hope is that more electrification happens at least on the following as bolt ons to the IRP

Leeds-Bradford-Halifax
Rochdale-Manchester
Mirfield-Brighouse-Rochdale
Copy Pit line to Preston for E Lancs towns
Wakefield-Sheffield (both routes)
Sheffield-Doncaster-Hull
Leeds-Hull
Middlesbrough area
Newcastle-Carlisle
Lancaster-Barrow
Doncaster-Cleethorpes
Sheffield-Manchester
Sheffield-Lincoln

If they are serious about net zero ALL these lines minimum need to be wired and upgraded by 2050. But are they/will they do it or will the ultimate winner be the Treasury ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

underbank

Established Member
Lancaster-Barrow

Yes, along with the Windermere line to reduce the need for diesels between Manchester and Cumbria.

I'd also love (I know it won't happen) to see the Carnforth to Skipton (Bentham) line electrified to enable an increased and/or faster service as an alternative/relief to the Preston<>Manchester<>Leeds route from the WCML to Leeds and onwards to Bradford etc.

21C101

Established Member

My hope is that more electrification happens at least on the following as bolt ons to the IRP

<snip>
Sheffield-Lincoln

If they are serious about net zero ALL these lines minimum need to be wired and upgraded by 2050. But are they/will they do it or will the ultimate winner be the Treasury ?
If as is implied the Newark Gridiron is going to get grade separated then Nottingham to Lincoln electrification would make more sense than Sheffield Lincoln as it would enable hourly London or Birmingham - Nottingham - Lincoln HS2 services enabling a regular hourly service as fast as the occasional Lincoln to KX services and freeing up paths on the ECML. Journey time would be as fast as KX to Lincoln (assuming calls at Collingham and Newark), even without any upgrades east of Nottingham

iansergeant

If as is implied the Newark Gridiron is going to get grade separated then Nottingham to Lincoln electrification would make more sense than Sheffield Lincoln as it would enable hourly London or Birmingham - Nottingham - Lincoln HS2 services enabling a regular hourly service as fast as the occasional Lincoln to KX services and freeing up paths on the ECML. Journey time would be as fast as KX to Lincoln (assuming calls at Collingham and Newark), even without any upgrades east of Nottingham
That works even without electrification with a bi-mode train, but can this be done without impacting local services without substantial four-tracking? Is it indeed necessary to take at least one of the STP trains to Lincoln because of lack of terminus capacity at Nottingham?

21C101

Established Member
That works even without electrification with a bi-mode train, but can this be done without impacting local services without substantial four-tracking? Is it indeed necessary to take at least one of the STP trains to Lincoln because of lack of terminus capacity at Nottingham?
The latter point had occurred to me but has Lincoln any more capability to accomodate HS2 trains.

As to Bi Mode HS2 trains, I wonder how long it will be before something along those lines is actually suggested officially....

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Leeds-Bradford-Halifax
Rochdale-Manchester
Sheffield-Doncaster-Hull
Leeds-Hull
Middlesbrough area
Newcastle-Carlisle
Lancaster-Barrow
Doncaster-Cleethorpes
Sheffield-Manchester
Sheffield-Lincoln

IIRC Leeds Hull is in the IRP plan, but the rest is a long way off. Albeit if electrification is required by 2050, there’s at least 20 years before any decisions need to b made...

javelin

Leeds-York, not to Hull.

The plan states that schemes additional to the IPR core like Hull need to be looked at in terms of the ability to deliver in the IPR timeframe. For things not even mentioned in the IPR, I wonder how much scope there's going to be for anything but the smallest infill electrification.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

Leeds-Bradford-Halifax
Rochdale-Manchester
Sheffield-Doncaster-Hull
Leeds-Hull
Middlesbrough area
Newcastle-Carlisle
Lancaster-Barrow
Doncaster-Cleethorpes
Sheffield-Manchester
Sheffield-Lincoln

Few issues:

Leeds - Bradford Interchange already included
Not bothered about Brighouse/Sowerby Bridge to Halifax?
Leeds - Micklefield already included so its only onwards from there to Hull you're after
What would be the point in Wakefield Kirkgate to Sheffield without Wakefield Kirkgate to Leeds direct and via Castleford?

Glenn1969

Established Member
Few issues:

Leeds - Bradford Interchange already included
Not bothered about Brighouse/Sowerby Bridge to Halifax?
Leeds - Micklefield already included so its only onwards from there to Hull you're after
What would be the point in Wakefield Kirkgate to Sheffield without Wakefield Kirkgate to Leeds direct and via Castleford?
My issue with Halifax-Brighouse/Sowerby Bridge is the deep cutting at Salterhebble- not sure how easy that would be to wire

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Leeds Hull I agree with. I think get the Leeds to Selby signed off and underway then announce rolling programme all the way to Hull. That makes most sense.

Micklefield to Selby has a grand total of 5 over bridges, onwards to Hull I think its 26, more than half of which are post war, many of those built in the last 20 years. Of course one of those bridges is the Humber Bridge, and I think we're OK with that one!

AM9

Veteran Member
My issue with Halifax-Brighouse/Sowerby Bridge is the deep cutting at Salterhebble- not sure how easy that would be to wire
I can't see on Google Maps any cutting that looks like a problem. The section of the Chat Moss line through Olive Mount was wired easily enough.

ohgoditsjames

Sheffield to Doncaster/Wakefield Westgate absolutely needs to happen otherwise the electrification of the MML won’t remove any diesels besides the ones to London.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
As far as South Yorkshire is concerned, I think the following is the lowest route miles for maximum service conversion:

South Kirkby Junction to Sheffield
Rotherham Loop
Swinton to Doncaster

That gives the Northern Leeds to Sheffield via Bolton on Dearne, the Sheffield to Adwick stopper and the Sheffield to Doncaster stopper (when/if its reinstated). Additionally this, in the context of IRP gives at least all of both of the XC routes north of Derby under the wires.

Draws you logically on to Doncaster to Hull via Goole and Selby linking up with Leeds to Hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.