• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible plans for Edinburgh Waverley station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Mind boggles as to why they have to build a set of a coffee shop in a station for a movie. There must be hundreds if not thousands of ready-made ones to choose from.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Glenmutchkin

I noticed today that the east End concourse was closed for a movie, with sets being built (a Cafe Nero style shop) and many vehicles in nearby streets. Does any one know who is filming?

I think that your answer is in this piece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...land-in-edinburgh-for-infinity-war-film-shoot

Filming is under way in Edinburgh for the latest Avengers movie.
Rumours are flying over which members of the franchise's A-list cast are in the city.
The shoot, for the third Avengers outing Infinity War, is thought to be the biggest filming project ever to hit Scotland.
A central street is being blocked off to the public for night shoots, and a giant special effects "green screen" has been installed in Waverley station.

fgwrich

Established Member

marks87

Established Member
Mind boggles as to why they have to build a set of a coffee shop in a station for a movie. There must be hundreds if not thousands of ready-made ones to choose from.

Well, presumably they don't want to use a real brand.

Or rather, a real brand didn't stump up enough cash to have their name in the movie.

asylumxl

Established Member
The street closed off for filming by the way is the nearby Cockburn Street - Closed for a month of Filming, which has included having the shop fronts changed to a more vintage style. All the shop owners have apparently been compensated before anyone complains about that!
That sounds great for the owners but **** for the consumer.

fgwrich

Established Member
Well, presumably they don't want to use a real brand.

Or rather, a real brand didn't stump up enough cash to have their name in the movie.

There is that, but it will also include a huge variety of factors - Space & Camera Locations, Practicality with inside the shop and what they're planning to do to it. I know Sommerfield were impressively onbard with the producers of Hot Fuzz when they let parts of the film being filmed inside their wells shop, but what if the producers of the Avengers want to film similar, or even an explosion? In these scenarios, it's probably better to re-create the inside of a coffee shop to damage or blow up than compensate the owners of a real one.

Mordac

Established Member
The street closed off for filming by the way is the nearby Cockburn Street - Closed for a month of Filming, which has included having the shop fronts changed to a more vintage style. All the shop owners have apparently been compensated before anyone complains about that!

How on earth is someone expected to get from the Southside down to Waverly then, especially since no buses from that way stop at Waverly steps now?!

Zoidberg

Established Member
How on earth is someone expected to get from the Southside down to Waverly then, especially since no buses from that way stop at Waverly steps now?!

As observed above, the Scotsman steps, or down the High Street and left along Jeffrey Street to arrive opposite the Market St entrance.

Although I do think it's a bit of a cheek closing a street for the benefit of film makers.

route:oxford

Established Member
As observed above, the Scotsman steps, or down the High Street and left along Jeffrey Street to arrive opposite the Market St entrance.

Although I do think it's a bit of a cheek closing a street for the benefit of film makers.

You don't have to go down as far as Jeffrey Street, there are two closes that you can go through before then. The one right behind the Hilton, and the that goes through the Jury's Inn arch - I prefer the latter.

Zoidberg

Established Member
You don't have to go down as far as Jeffrey Street, there are two closes that you can go through before then. The one right behind the Hilton, and the that goes through the Jury's Inn arch - I prefer the latter.

Yes, of course. I was thinking of an obvious step-free route as an alternative to Cockburn Street.

Chrism20

Established Member

One word explains that - money

Glasgow made £16m from filmmaking last year apparently, its a big money maker for the city by the look of it and if you throw enough of it about you can probably get away with disrupting everything for a few days.

The Glasgow Film Office generated £16.38 million for the city’s economy last year.

That figure - which includes film, broadcast and advertising productions in the city - marks a sizeable increase from 2015’s £10.22m.

http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/filming-glasgow-generated-16m-city-12596410

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
One word explains that - money

Glasgow made £16m from filmmaking last year apparently, its a big money maker for the city by the look of it...
It's not just the immediate cash flow either. Tourism receipts usually get a boost as well, and that effect can post a last for years.

och aye

It's not just the immediate cash flow either. Tourism receipts usually get a boost as well, and that effect can post a last for years.

Indeed. The Trainspotting tour takes people to site of the former Leith Central Station. :)

Murph

Sometimes much longer, many decades, if they get lucky and produce something iconic. E.g. Bullitt was released in 1968, but 50 years later people are still hiring Ford Mustangs in San Francisco, and driving just a little bit fast over those famous hills to feel the +/- G (not suggesting it's a good idea to make it fly as in the movie, but even just an enthusiastic 30-ish mph in the right spots lets you understand/feel how he really did make it fly without any special stunt aids).

It's possibly less common these days, but I believe some still visit Waverley and the Forth Bridge for The Thirty-Nine Steps.

Last edited:

och aye

Or look for John Menzies on Princes Street.

They'll be spending a while looking for that place. :lol:

Since this was mentioned a few posts back:

Avengers blockbuster will inject £10m into Edinburgh's economy

http://www.insider.co.uk/news/avengers-blockbuster-inject-10m-edinburghs-10108057

It may have taken more than a year to negotiate, but The Avengers' visit to Edinburgh will leave the city's economy £10m better off.

That already dwarfs the total for last year, when the filming of Trainspotting 2 helped boost the value of productions in the city to a record high of £7m.

Filming of the new Avengers: Infinity War blockbuster is said to be the biggest and most complex cinema operation ever to be staged in the heart of the city.

Edinburgh's film commission has revealed the first details of the six-week production schedule, which was drawn up after more than a year's negotiations.

Stars including Robert Downey Jr, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Paul Bettany, Anthony Mackie, Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olson are expected to shoot scenes in the city next month.

The directors of the film, brothers Joe and Anthony Russo, have revealed they "jumped at the chance" to use the city as a backdrop for the film.

Joe Russo said: “When Edinburgh came up as a location option we jumped at the chance.

"The city is such a unique and iconic location, but one never seen as the backdrop for a big action film, which is incredibly exciting.”

Anthony Russo added: "“The support from all local agencies, such as Film Edinburgh, has been invaluable in helping to coordinate this complicated shoot.

“We appreciate the entire city’s help and are excited to have such a beautiful and historic city in the film.”

Cockburn Street and Waverley Station will be deployed as key backdrops in the film, which is expected to go on location elsewhere in the Lothians and into the Borders.

It is understod that Edinburgh will feature in the film as part of the plot rather than 'doubling' for another location, which is likely to increase tourism.

Rosie Ellison, manager of the Film Edinburgh commission, said: "This is the biggest production to ever film in the region.

"But crucially, it also clearly demonstrates Edinburgh has the infrastructure and process in place to accommodate major filming of this scale.

"Film Edinburgh and the Council have worked closely with the filmmakers for over a year to coordinate the smooth running of the location shoot in the region. The production team have been a pleasure to work with and have been considerate of the impact of filming on local business, visitors and residents.”

Gavin Barrie, economic development leader at the city council, said: “Our cobbled streets, historic properties and stunning green spaces could set the scene for some of cinema’s greatest superheroes and it is fantastic to secure such an A-list production.

"We know 40 per cent of visitors to the UK are attracted to places they have seen on screen and the Marvel franchise offers a huge opportunity to promote Edinburgh all over the world. This is fantastic news for the city and our film industry.

"The council will do all it can to support Film Edinburgh and the producers and keep the city moving throughout the shoot.”

Also some images from inside the station via this post:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=139140016&postcount=157

KwIPoab.jpg

lIMJJIt.jpg

0TXbpaC.jpg

Chrism20

Established Member
Am I imagining it or is WH Smith shut at the moment?

Was on the 0652 VWC this morning and was running late so went straight over the bridge to P8 when I come down the escalators. I'm sure it was in darkness with a notice on the shutter and there was a what looked like a wooden door where one of the shutters is.

TheEscapist_

Was on the 0652 VWC this morning and was running late so went straight over the bridge to P8 when I come down the escalators. I'm sure it was in darkness with a notice on the shutter and there was a what looked like a wooden door where one of the shutters is.

Yeah it's currently closed, think it's where Pret will be. Not sure if WH Smith will be staying. Would be useful to have one of the wee stalls they have like at Haymarket tho in the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrism20

Established Member
Yeah it's currently closed, think it's where Pret will be. Not sure if WH Smith will be staying. Would be useful to have one of the wee stalls they have like at Haymarket tho in the station.

Thanks, good to know I'm not going completely crazy.

FS-2-11

I peeked through the shutter the other day - it's completely gutted inside and the floor is strewn with broken-up tiles. Whatever is being done, it's a big job.

gsnedders

Established Member

Sign on the door saying it's closed for a refit when I came through at midday.

och aye

I initially misread shut and thought u was and i :oops::lol:

Moving swiftly on.... The campaign for taxi's inside the station rumbles on:

Campaigners meet Minister over Waverley taxi access

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-minister-over-waverley-taxi-access-1-4404480

CAMPAIGNERS hope a meeting with Transport Minister Humza Yousaf at Waverley station has brought taxi access for disabled people a step closer.

The taxi rank at Waverley was removed and vehicles banned from the station in 2014. And older and disabled people say Waverley has gone from being one of the easiest stations in the country to access to one of the most difficult.

But after the meeting with Mr Yousaf and officials from ScotRail and Network Rail, campaigner Hilary Davies, of the Edinburgh Access Panel, who is registered blind, said she was “very encouraged”. She said: “It seemed to me we were being listened to. For me the big push is to get taxis for disabled people with blue badges to be allowed to come into the station to drop-off and pick up by arrangement. If we can achieve that I will be very happy.”

Lothian Conservative MSP Miles Briggs, who has backed the campaigners, said he hoped the north ramp from Waverley Bridge could be used by taxis taking disabled travellers to and from the station.

Established Member
Well the filming at least is doing something with that useless space by P2. It may even be sparing us the even more useless 'Friday Market' there. Scotland's been looking for a national film studio for a while, maybe they've found it. [emoji38]

Yes, Smith's says it's shut for a refit.

Zoidberg

Established Member
I initially misread shut and thought u was and i :oops::lol:

Moving swiftly on.... The campaign for taxi's inside the station rumbles on:

Campaigners meet Minister over Waverley taxi access

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...-minister-over-waverley-taxi-access-1-4404480

I'm not sure that I understand the comment "... the big push is to get taxis for disabled people with blue badges to be allowed to come into the station to drop-off ...". What if someone who has mobility and other challenges, just as disabled as a Blue Badge holder, doesn't have, hasn't needed to apply for, a Blue Badge?

In any case, access for vehicles was prohibited on security grounds. Surely any self-respecting terrorist would be able to subvert, to their own ends, any arrangements put in place to allow taxis into the station.

So, either taxis for everyone or taxis for no-one. The station has step-free access to the existing taxi point.

Last edited:

TheEscapist_

I'm not sure that I understand the comment "... the big push is to get taxis for disabled people with blue badges to be allowed to come into the station to drop-off ...". What if someone who has mobility and other challenges, just as disabled as a Blue Badge holder, doesn't have, hasn't needed to apply for, a Blue Badge?

In any case, access for vehicles was prohibited on security grounds. Surely any self-respecting terrorist would be able to subvert, to their own ends, any arrangements put in place to allow taxis into the station.

So, either taxis for everyone or taxis for no-one. The station has step-free access to the existing taxi point.

The current taxi drop off and rank is a disaster. No organisation what so ever. A lot could be done to improve it. But I don't think putting the rank down in new street car park is a good idea. Only one very small lift connects it with the station footbridge, not really an improvement to the current one.

Zoidberg

Established Member
The current taxi drop off and rank is a disaster. No organisation what so ever. A lot could be done to improve it. But I don't think putting the rank down in new street car park is a good idea. Only one very small lift connects it with the station footbridge, not really an improvement to the current one.

I agree that the current situation is not ideal, but I do think that setting up a rank in the New St car park would be better. There is more space, it's off the public highway and so removes the problem of congestion at the Market St entrance.

It also enjoys step-free access, which could be improved with additional lift capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.