• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Potential New South Ayr Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

clc

Established Member
The Scottish Govt is looking at this for STPR2 and it has passed the initial appraisal stage:-

Page 134: https://www.transport.gov.scot/medi...hange-south-west-scotland-transport-study.pdf
The provision of a new station south of Ayr has the potential to increase the resilience of the strategic rail network, as the provision of an additional station would provide an alternative option for those wishing to access the rail network (e.g. such as during the recent closure of Ayr Station in 2018). This option would improve connectivity (TPO5) to a key destination, while journey quality would also be improved (TPO4) for users of the hospital wishing to travel by public transport.

Implementability Commentary: The option is considered to be publicly acceptable, and would likely be supported by hospital staff, patients and visitors. Given the proximity of the hospital to the railway, the option is considered to be feasible, although further assessment work, including work related to affordability and funding would be required.

Recommendation: Option recommended to proceed to option packaging.
I’ve recently moved to the area and wonder how good the business case would be? In addition to the hospital staff and patients there is a decent size population in Alloway, Doonfoot and Seafield who could be tempted to park and ride (me being one). There is also lots of land for residential development. I assume it would be dependent on electrification to Girvan and extension of at least 2tph Glasgow-Ayr services.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clayton

On Moderation
Hurrah! A lot of the population of Ayr is actually on the south side, around Alloway- which is the posh end of town. I’m sure it would do well with commuters and people going for a day to Glasgow

Veteran Member
Thanks for the link. I have (petrolhead) relatives in the Ayr South area so was interested!
The report runs to 150pp, and as far as I can see lists Ayr South along with Dunragit and Pinwherry as options to be pursued - given that Pinwherry is in the middle of nowhere, this suggests they haven't even done an initial sift. Scarcely anything to say why any of these might be worth doing.

Last edited:

clc

Established Member
A long list of options was sifted:
As presented in Chapter 7, an extensive list of options was generated throughout the study and a process of option sifting has been undertaken. Examples of the types of options that were removed from the initial long options list as a result of the options sifting processes described in Chapter 7 is presented in the table below, alongside the most common reasons that options have been removed from further consideration at this stage

Last edited by a moderator:

Veteran Member

Altnabreac

Established Member
I suspect it would have a good incremental business case.

It really needs a 2tph service and direct trains to Glasgow. That means electrification which is £££. But if you were electrifying to Girvan anyway then the additional cost of the station at Ayr hospital would be minimal compared to the benefits.

To be honest I think the area could also support another station around Belmont as well.

d9009alycidon

I suspect it would have a good incremental business case.

It really needs a 2tph service and direct trains to Glasgow. That means electrification which is £££. But if you were electrifying to Girvan anyway then the additional cost of the station at Ayr hospital would be minimal compared to the benefits.

To be honest I think the area could also support another station around Belmont as well.
Totally agree with the idea of two stations, a station close enough for walking distance to Ayr Hospital would be too remote for other residents of the area so a second one at Belmont would be a very sensible idea.

alangla

I’ve said this before but opening Ayr South Parkway, electrification to Girvan and, whisper it, closure south of there appears sensible.

InOban

Established Member
And relocating the stabling sidings to South Parkway at the same time.

I'm from the area, and it's an interesting idea.

The biggest issue is the demand at the southern end of the line. Between Glasgow and Ayr, you've got a busy suburban route with stops every couple of miles (or closer). Even the rural bit in the middle of the line has stations that close together, most of which are skipped by the Ayr trains.

Once you get south of Ayr, the line gets very rural very quickly - on a par with the southern end of the Borders Railway - which is mostly unelecfrified single track with an hourly service - and the New Cumnock line - which is unelectrified double track with very few services running the full length of the line.

There are some decent settlements south of Ayr that would have made useful stops, but the line manages to miss all of them and runs through the middle of nowhere.

My verdict? Close the line between Girvan and Stranraer. Now the ferry terminal has moved from Stranraer to Cairnryan, the line is a bit pointless. Build new stations at Belmont and Ayr Hospital, and extend one of the Glasgow - Ayr trains per hour to Ayr Hospital. Create a new 1tph DMU service from Girvan to Kilmarnock through the Barassie chord, creating a much better link between Ayr and Kilmarnock.

Altnabreac

Established Member
My proposal would be:

New station at Belmont.

2-3tph terminating at a 4 platform Ayr South thus incorporating stabling capacity.

Electrify to Girvan and run an hourly electric service to there.

2 hourly DMU service from Girvan to Stranraer. Extend the western platform at Girvan to allow same platform interchange with signalling / infrastructure changes to allow 2 trains in the extended platform.

Operate south of Girvan as One Engine in Steam with simplified signalling.

Clayton

On Moderation
I'm from the area, and it's an interesting idea.

The biggest issue is the demand at the southern end of the line. Between Glasgow and Ayr, you've got a busy suburban route with stops every couple of miles (or closer). Even the rural bit in the middle of the line has stations that close together, most of which are skipped by the Ayr trains.

Once you get south of Ayr, the line gets very rural very quickly - on a par with the southern end of the Borders Railway - which is mostly unelecfrified single track with an hourly service - and the New Cumnock line - which is unelectrified double track with very few services running the full length of the line.

There are some decent settlements south of Ayr that would have made useful stops, but the line manages to miss all of them and runs through the middle of nowhere.

My verdict? Close the line between Girvan and Stranraer. Now the ferry terminal has moved from Stranraer to Cairnryan, the line is a bit pointless. Build new stations at Belmont and Ayr Hospital, and extend one of the Glasgow - Ayr trains per hour to Ayr Hospital. Create a new 1tph DMU service from Girvan to Kilmarnock through the Barassie chord, creating a much better link between Ayr and Kilmarnock.
I don’t think it would be politically acceptable to close the Stranraer line, it would leave too big a hole on the map with no rail service, even if there are nae folk there.

d9009alycidon

My proposal would be:

New station at Belmont.

2-3tph terminating at a 4 platform Ayr South thus incorporating stabling capacity.

Electrify to Girvan and run an hourly electric service to there.

2 hourly DMU service from Girvan to Stranraer. Extend the western platform at Girvan to allow same platform interchange with signalling / infrastructure changes to allow 2 trains in the extended platform.

Operate south of Girvan as One Engine in Steam with simplified signalling.
Agree with that, except I think you could get away with just a 2 platform station at Ayr Hospital and keep the stabling capacity in Ayr. Probably not enough space and much more convenient for Drivers to sign on. South of Girvan is crying out for a Whitby style heritage operation, main drawback is the disconnection and lifting of Stranraer Town, would have made a good base for the heritage operation.

InOban

Established Member
Not enough space? Between the A77 and the hospital is open fields. As for the convenience of the traincrew, it would be good to know where they live, Ayr south might be just as easy.
The route of the railway round Girvan would make an excellent and much needed bypass. Trucks must make the town centre a nightmare.

Veteran Member
South of Girvan is crying out for a Whitby style heritage operation, main drawback is the disconnection and lifting of Stranraer Town, would have made a good base for the heritage operation.
Sorry, but Whitby works because it is a very popular tourist destination (with a massive traffic problem as well) - Stranraer isn't, sadly.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
The suggested site of Alloway I would have the station named as Robert Burns Parkway, as that was where the bard was born.

On a serious point, Kincaidston (for Ailsa Hospital) would be ideal as it can act as a park and ride station.

The service pattern could be along the likes of:

1) Glasgow Central - Ayr South every 30 minutes calling Paisley Gilmour Street, Kilwinning, Irvine, Troon, both Prestwick stations, Ayr Town, and Ayr South (Barassie and Newton-on-Ayr can be served every 30 minutes by the Garnock Valley local every 30 minutes terminating at Ayr Town)

2) Kilmarnock - Girvan every 60 minutes calling Troon, maybe one or both Prestwick stations, Ayr Town, Ayr South, Maybole, and Girvan. One train extends every 2 hours to Stranraer calling Barrhill.

3) New Ayrshire Coast local Largs (or any of the Ardrossan stations) - Ayr South every 60 minutes calling Fairlie, West Kilbride, Ardrossan South Beach, Saltcoats, Stevenson, Irvine, Barassie, Troon, both Prestwick stations, Newton-on-Ayr, Ayr Town, and Ayr South. This would require the track between Ardrossan South Beach and Largs to be doubled, and passengers who require Kilwinning and stations towards Paisley/Glasgow change at either South Beach, Saltcoats, or Stevenson onto the Harbour or Town - Glasgow that would ideally be immediately behind.

The above suggestion would provide 4tph between Troon and Ayr South, and 2tph between Glasgow and Ayr South.

EDIT: With me having had a go to see what the timetable may look like should Ayr South is opened near the A77, I have revised my original suggestion above.

1) Owing to having around a very long layover at Ayr South, I have extended all 4 of the Glasgow trains to run there.

2) Done with no foreseeable difficulties timetable wise. Also, I ended up having Kilmarnock - Ayr Town shuttle every 60 minutes, which together with the Girvan/Stranraer would provide a frequency of every 30 minutes between Kilmarnock and Ayr Town (see 3) below)

3) I did attempt this, but the train would have ended up 15 minutes ahead of the ex Glasgow between Ardrossan South Beach and Largs, rather than the desired 30 minutes. My starting point was to timetable it in the opposite half hour of the Kilmarnock. Southbound from Largs, I had the same problem with it being around 15 minutes ahead of the Glasgow departure rather than the desired 30 minutes. This explains the Kilmarnock - Ayr Town, and also I have increased the Glasgow - Largs frequency to every 30 minutes, with a portion for Ardrossan Town and Harbour uncoupling/coupling at South Beach. The disused platforms at South Beach and West Kilbride need to be reinstated, plus the right hand track from South Beach to Hunterston Junction needs to be brought back into use for passenger trains.

I have attached the spreadsheet below.

Attachments

• Ayr South.xlsx
    10.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The suggested site of Alloway I would have the station named as Robert Burns Parkway, as that was where the bard was born.

On a serious point, Kincaidston (for Ailsa Hospital) would be ideal as it can act as a park and ride station.

The service pattern could be along the likes of:

1) Glasgow Central - Ayr South every 30 minutes calling Paisley Gilmour Street, Kilwinning, Irvine, Troon, both Prestwick stations, Ayr Town, and Ayr South (Barassie and Newton-on-Ayr can be served every 30 minutes by the Garnock Valley local every 30 minutes terminating at Ayr Town)

2) Kilmarnock - Girvan every 60 minutes calling Troon, maybe one or both Prestwick stations, Ayr Town, Ayr South, Maybole, and Girvan. One train extends every 2 hours to Stranraer calling Barrhill.

3) New Ayrshire Coast local Largs (or any of the Ardrossan stations) - Ayr South every 60 minutes calling Fairlie, West Kilbride, Ardrossan South Beach, Saltcoats, Stevenson, Irvine, Barassie, Troon, both Prestwick stations, Newton-on-Ayr, Ayr Town, and Ayr South. This would require the track between Ardrossan South Beach and Largs to be doubled, and passengers who require Kilwinning and stations towards Paisley/Glasgow change at either South Beach, Saltcoats, or Stevenson onto the Harbour or Town - Glasgow that would ideally be immediately behind.

The above suggestion would provide 4tph between Troon and Ayr South, and 2tph between Glasgow and Ayr South.

EDIT: With me having had a go to see what the timetable may look like should Ayr South is opened near the A77, I have revised my original suggestion above.

1) Owing to having around a very long layover at Ayr South, I have extended all 4 of the Glasgow trains to run there.

2) Done with no foreseeable difficulties timetable wise. Also, I ended up having Kilmarnock - Ayr Town shuttle every 60 minutes, which together with the Girvan/Stranraer would provide a frequency of every 30 minutes between Kilmarnock and Ayr Town (see 3) below)

3) I did attempt this, but the train would have ended up 15 minutes ahead of the ex Glasgow between Ardrossan South Beach and Largs, rather than the desired 30 minutes. My starting point was to timetable it in the opposite half hour of the Kilmarnock. Southbound from Largs, I had the same problem with it being around 15 minutes ahead of the Glasgow departure rather than the desired 30 minutes. This explains the Kilmarnock - Ayr Town, and also I have increased the Glasgow - Largs frequency to every 30 minutes, with a portion for Ardrossan Town and Harbour uncoupling/coupling at South Beach. The disused platforms at South Beach and West Kilbride need to be reinstated, plus the right hand track from South Beach to Hunterston Junction needs to be brought back into use for passenger trains.

I have attached the spreadsheet below.

I’d keep the Dalry stop on the Ardrossan Harbour and the Glengarnock stop on the Largs. Bringing those two down to 2tph wouldn’t go down well.

Also you can comfortably get rid of the Paisley stop on the fast Ayr, two trains to Ayr within 4 minutes isn’t great at all, I don’t think it works at all. If that 00/30 is delayed you have the risk of it causing delay to the XX:04/34

Status
Not open for further replies.