• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Presented old ticket and invlaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie2020

Ok, I know I am completely in the wrong here, I am posting to see if anyone knows what the likely outcome will be.

This morning traveling on the c2C from Benfleet to London, I was late for a meeting I had to make. I went through the open barrier at Benfleet and when I arrived at London I panicked at the barrier, started to look through my wallet as if to pretend I had lost my ticket when I saw an old expired season ticket in my wallet and presented that hoping they wouldn't check (it expired in 2018). Obviously they saw took it off me and asked for my photocard, they took them both away photocopied them and told me I would get a letter from their prosecution team.

I know being late is no excuse, showing them (trying to fool them) with an expired ticket was stupid but what is the likely outcome?

This is my first offence, they did not take a statement or any other form of identification.

When can I expect some correspondence?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Ok, I know I am completely in the wrong here, I am posting to see if anyone knows what the likely outcome will be.

This morning traveling on the c2C from Benfleet to London, I was late for a meeting I had to make. I went through the open barrier at Benfleet and when I arrived at London I panicked at the barrier, started to look through my wallet as if to pretend I had lost my ticket when I saw an old expired season ticket in my wallet and presented that hoping they wouldn't check (it expired in 2018). Obviously they saw took it off me and asked for my photocard, they took them both away photocopied them and told me I would get a letter from their prosecution team.

I know being late is no excuse, showing them (trying to fool them) with an expired ticket was stupid but what is the likely outcome?

This is my first offence, they did not take a statement or any other form of identification.

When can I expect some correspondence?
Was it a monthly or longer period season ticket?

newbie2020

It was an old annual season ticket but it expired in 2018, I have had a season ticket since then, I don’t know why it was in my wallet but in a moment of madness I presented it rather than explain I didn’t have a ticket. I know I know.

I wasn’t asked for any statement or to sign anything they just took my rail photo ID and the old season ticket.

does it make a difference that it’s an old monthly vs old annual?

Fare-Cop

It was an old annual season ticket but it expired in 2018, I have had a season ticket since then, I don’t know why it was in my wallet but in a moment of madness I presented it rather than explain I didn’t have a ticket. I know I know.

I wasn’t asked for any statement or to sign anything they just took my rail photo ID and the old season ticket.

does it make a difference that it’s an old monthly vs old annual?

A few things can help to assess what is most likely to happen now

Have you changed address since that 2018 season ticket expired?

You are likely to get a letter as advised by the Revenue Protection staff and this can take from 2 to 6 weeks to arrive depending how busy their administration is.

newbie2020

Ah that’s such a long time to wait!

no the season ticket is addressed to an old address. The rail photo card has been updated to my new address though.

will C2C hand this straight over?

newbie2020

Also does it matter that they didn’t take a statement or ask me to sign anything? They asked for a driving license which I didn’t have on me, they seemed fine with that

Veteran Member
Could you just clarify: do you have a current season ticket which you had left at home?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
It was an old annual season ticket but it expired in 2018, I have had a season ticket since then, I don’t know why it was in my wallet
If you don’t have a current season ticket then I would expect any investigator to speculate why you might have had an out of date season ticket (and not the most recent one moreover) together with your photo card in your wallet. It’s an odd combination.

And any conclusion they come to, if at odds with your story, may influence how they respond to any explanation given. You might want to consider what evidence you have of tickets purchased since your last season expired, or whether there is another reason why you chose not to renew to convince them that it was indeed a moment of madness, assuming that to be the case of course.

newbie2020

If you don’t have a current season ticket then I would expect any investigator to speculate why you might have had an out of date season ticket (and not the most recent one moreover) together with your photo card in your wallet. It’s an odd combination.

And any conclusion they come to, if at odds with your story, may influence how they respond to any explanation given. You might want to consider what evidence you have of tickets purchased since your last season expired, or whether there is another reason why you chose not to renew to convince them that it was indeed a moment of madness, assuming that to be the case of course.
Thanks. I do have proof that I have bought tickets on a daily and weekly basis since my last season ticket expired. I have started to work from home a lot more so there was no value in renewing my season ticket.

Fare-Cop

Completely agree, additionally, it may well be that an investigator will wonder why the address for your photocard was updated if that is the case and why is it different to that on record for your expired season. Had you had a replacement photocard since 2018 ?

Either way, it seems that they will be able to contact you fairly easily, so wait for the letter, which is likely to come from their prosecution department. giving opportunity for your explanation before any further action.

newbie2020

Hi, still not received anything. I assume they are busy at the moment and working with a reduced service.

if I handed over my photo railcard and a ticket and the 2 had different addresses. Which would they tend to send the penalty notice/follow up to?

as I say they didn’t take my address or a statement at the time.

thanks in advanced

SlimJim1694

Its also entirely possible that they just took the old ticket /photocard and binned them and you'll hear no more about it.

newbie2020

I saw him go to the office and photocopy them, but I don’t believe he was from the revenue loss team, he was in the office by the gate at fenchurch street.

here’s to wishful thinking though.

Fare-Cop

Hi, still not received anything. I assume they are busy at the moment and working with a reduced service.

if I handed over my photo railcard and a ticket and the 2 had different addresses. Which would they tend to send the penalty notice/follow up to?

as I say they didn’t take my address or a statement at the time.

thanks in advanced

It is very likely that current circumstances mean that the department may be working with skeleton staff and changed operational resources generally. Given that your first post was 11th March, that's only 21 days ago so although maybe not the best situation, but you may well not receive anything for several weeks yet.

As a matter of interest, when I was running this sort of operation we would probably have written to both the addresses on record if we could not be certain which the traveller resides at when checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.