• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston area timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
ISTR seeing that TPE services used to call at more stations between Preston and Manchester (Leyland and Chorley etc.); does anyone have any timetable scans/pictures showing the service pattern of these? Also, does anyone know what the general service pattern would have been on services in the Preston area in say, 2000? Much different to nowadays?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Main changes since 2008 (mainly introduced in Dec 2008):

Bolton corrdor was different in 2000, with roughly...
-1tph Blackpool N-Manchester Airport (FNW, became TPE), running roughly as per current pattern with a couple of extra stops (e.g. Lostock)
-1tph Blackpool N-Buxton (FNW, became Northern), calling most stations
-1tph Windermere/Barrow (roughly alternating-Manchester Airport (FNW, became TPE), calling Chorley, Bolton only
-Occasional Virgin XC South Coast-Birmingham-Manchester-Bolton-Preston-Scptland services. Semi-regular during 2000, ramped up to two-hourly in 2002's Operation Princess

WCML Long Distance was also quite different - probably generally hourlyish from Euston-Preston, but extensions through to Lancaster, Carlisle and Glasgow much less frequent (less than hourly during the day). Virgin XC 'direct' from Brum (and South Coast/South West) perhaps every 1-2 hours as well (some VT services also going to/from Blackpool)

driver9000

Established Member
TPE have called at Leyland in the past but not for the last couple of years and it was only ever a couple of trains. Going back to 2000 TPE didn't exist, the services were part of First North Western. In those days Transpennine was a brand of Northern Spirit using a maroon livery and Leyland, Chorley etc wasn't part of the network for Northern Spirit/Arriva Train Northern.

I have the Winter 1999/2000 timetables in my collection so I'll dig them out when I get a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.