• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston - Carlisle 1997-2002 Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjjack

Does anybody have a copy if a timetable for preston - carlisle when Virgin Trains were running loco hauled services. The NRM archive service is not available and I just want a scour for a game. Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Is it not possible to search web arhivce , im sure someone posted that before.

StephenHunter

Established Member
I have the 2000 Summer National Rail Timetable. Bit of a whopper of course and Table 65, which covers the WCML, is a full 97 pages, as it was also covering summer engineering work.

You were looking at 1 hour 20 journey time for Preston to Carlisle on Virgin Trains, with stops at Lancaster, Oxenholme and Penrith.

pieguyrob

If I remember correctly, my friend and I, if travelling to Glasgow, would catch the first service north which was a Cross Country service to Edinburgh behind an 86. We would then change at Carlisle then catch the first West Coast service to Glasgow. Usually whilst waiting at Carlisle an MGR would go through, whilst also getting the stabled TPO stock.

One occasion we did that, the 87 failed outside Motherwell. The rescue loco was 60057 Adam Smith. Pretty certain that was December 1999. Can't remember the exact date, and my notebooks from that era are long since gone.

TurboFintan

Veteran Member
Sorry I don't but there is a VT timetable from that period here: https://dpsimulation.org.uk/virgin-trains-timetables.html
Plus one for TransPennine Express: https://dpsimulation.org.uk/transpennine-express-timetables.html
There doesn't appear to be one for Northern Rail, even on Wayback Machine for the route mentioned.
The handful of Northern services south of Lancaster would have appeared on the Barrow timetable IIRC. Can't offhand remember if they operated Windermere that year!

Status
Not open for further replies.