• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston Station damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not sure if it is worth it’s own thread but just how bad is the storm damage to Preston station?

I've not seen it, but you seem to get a few panes fall out of it every time there's a storm of any significance, so I suspect they just need to remove/replace those safely and it'll be back in use again. This isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. In the 1990s I recall them using the Res island as a "platform 7" while they fixed it once.

skyhigh

Established Member
I've not seen it, but you seem to get a few panes fall out of it every time there's a storm of any significance, so I suspect they just need to remove/replace those safely and it'll be back in use again.
It's the corrugated metal sheeting that's come loose this time.

There's a video of the damage attached to this tweet:
⛔️STATION CLOSED⛔️

Trains can’t stop at Preston #StormEunice has loosened metal roofing panels - this video shows them moving in the 80mph gales

We’ll work overnight to get the panels secured

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
BBC local news reported on the story just now (extremely briefly!) showing the view from the overbridge at Preston, looking down the taped off stairs to a deserted platform 5 and 6, as well as across to an equally deserted platform 4.

ITV local news showed an empty taxi rank at the front of the station, a departures board with just about everything displayed as "cancelled", and a number of rail replacement coaches waiting at the side of the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Playing around with the Worldline TIGER site which should be showing what the station PIS is, and it appears to look a bit more positive now, with the next Euston train showing as altered to 5, so I guess they must have sorted it at least temporarily?

Edit: RTT appears to confirm it presently being at 5.

Flying Claret

Was somewhat surreal crawling through platform 1 on a Blackpool North train yesterday. It was completely deserted apart from a stack of Avanti pendilinos and a few TPE novas...

randyrippley

Established Member
News reports say it's reopened, but we've had a heck of a third bad storm today and all the rivers are in spate. Don't be surprised if there are track problems tomorrow at places like Oubeck and Brock between Preston and Lancaster. Wouldn't surprise me if the Bentham line floods again. Flood warnings as well for north Morecambe Bay so the Barrow line could be at risk in places.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Platforms 1 & 2 at Preston were taken back out of use again earlier this evening and appear to still be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.