• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Preston to Derby Routing query

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHESHIRECAT

Am pretty sure I'm correct but Preston Derby off peak return is valid via Manchester or Crewe so by default would be ok for break of journey at Manchester Airport on return?
Friend just been told not valid and had to buy ticket from Airport back to Preston!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
Am pretty sure I'm correct but Preston Derby off peak return is valid via Manchester or Crewe so by default would be ok for break of journey at Manchester Airport on return?
Friend just been told not valid and had to buy ticket from Airport back to Preston!
This is fine (sort of). There are many mapped routes that include the Wilmslow to Manchester link (which is what is required to travel via Manchester Airport), when looking at a Preston to Derby journey.

The "sort of" refers to how you get there; to stay with the mapped route you would most likely want to go Derby - Crewe; then Crewe - Manchester Airport; then Manchester Airport to Manchester Piccadilly (and on to Preston). In other words, via both Crewe and Manchester in this case. You could also go via Cheadle Hulme / Stockport, then via Wilmslow (I haven't checked if the double back between Cheadle Hulme and Stockport is permitted in this case)

As you say, you can go via Crewe or Manchester; you can also go via Tamworth or via Sheffield.

Page 1561 (!) of the Yellow Pages lists the valid map combinations: http://iblocks-rg-publication.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/yellow_pages.pdf

The routeing maps enable you to visualise these: https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps

I can't see any relevant easements.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, it's valid via Manchester Airport. The fact that it's valid via Manchester or Crewe doesn't inherently mean it's valid via Manchester Airport, but in this case it is, under Routeing Guide map combinations CU+EM (for travel via Uttoxeter) and KN (for travel via Tamworth).

Your friend should complain to the TOC that charged them (TPE, if this happened at the Manchester Airport barriers) and claim back the cost of the wrongly charged fare.

I haven't checked if the double back between Cheadle Hulme and Stockport is permitted in this case
Yes; easement 700074 refers:
Customers may double back from Stockport when travelling to or through Cheadle Hulme. This doubleback easement, will not override local journey rules on shortest route from/to the Cheadle Hulme routeing point. It will apply in both directions.

CHESHIRECAT

Great.. she's going to claim the £8.55 back!

TBF it's an unusual one ; had I been there I would have pursued but she is a rail novice!

Status
Not open for further replies.