• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pricing of out of court settlements and costs involved in persuing fare evasion cases

Camsus

If it is an out of court setlement surely they can charge whatever they think people will pay though there might be redress on grounds of abuse of process if the amount were truly absurd. It seems most settlements are way below what it would cost to go to court in any case as the costs then would be more and the fine etc on top. The punitve element in most settlements is asking for the full fare not the difference between whatever you paid and the correct fare (I believe courts have held the difference to be the correct amount in at least some cases).
Some ToC's don't charge the full fare and instead seek to recover the difference between what was paid and the correct fares. An example I saw today was someone who stated that GTR offered them a settlement of £702, consisting of the difference in fares plus £200 costs. That was for 23 dates apparently. Whilst £702 isn't a insignificant sum, it seems to me to be a pretty reasonable and fair solution for both parties

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Some ToC's don't charge the full fare and instead seek to recover the difference between what was paid and the correct fares. An example I saw today was someone who stated that GTR offered them a settlement of £702, consisting of the difference in fares plus £200 costs. That was for 23 dates apparently. Whilst £702 isn't a insignificant sum, it seems to me to be a pretty reasonable and fair solution for both parties
That may have been because the poster was very cooperative and honest in highlighting previous instances of evasion.

Camsus

That may have been because the poster was very cooperative and honest in highlighting previous instances of evasion.
True. Although my friend was caught dodging fares last year and paid a settlement consisting of the difference in fares plus costs. I saw the calculations he was sent (via his solicitor) and was surprised to see off-peak and super off-peak fares had been used on some dates. Even the peak fares were returns. That was GTR as well.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
True. Although my friend was caught dodging fares last year and paid a settlement consisting of the difference in fares plus costs. I saw the calculations he was sent (via his solicitor) and was surprised to see off-peak and super off-peak fares had been used on some dates. Even the peak fares were returns. That was GTR as well.
GTR are one of the more pragmatic companies and do often use off peak ticket prices. My advice is always to say that train companies usually use the Anytime fare because that's what many do. Also it's better for people seeking our advice to be told the 'worst' price and get a settlement offer a bit cheaper rather than the other way round.