• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Progress on Avanti West Coast's 805/807s Hitachi AT300 sets

Sorcerer

“Manufacturer has tilt if DFT has coin”

They could have had tilt if they were willing to fund an entirely bespoke design. Given the plans for HS2 when ordered it didn’t make any sense to spend a huge amount on what would be legacy trains on the WCML. Now it looks like a bit of a mistake given how much HS2 has been scaled back.

The 390 replacement project will be interesting.
Avanti wasn't going to buy a large fleet of 50+ trains like the Pendolinos, so the unit price would make it unviable for both supplier and TOC.
HS2, on the other hand...
Now route upgrades north of Handsacre/Crewe are out, I think some on the railway are regretting not pursuing a tilt option.
Alstom and others are still building tilting trains elsewhere.
Even though HS2 has been scaled back I still don't expect any 390 replacements to be tilting trains. As I understand it that would mean Alstom would need to rewrite TASS, and any other manufacturer would need to adopt it or create their own form of tilt signalling. Plus tilting trains are heavier and it seems a lot of operators don't think of them as a worthy investment even without phase 1 of HS2 removing some of the curves. This includes the present 805s which could possibly be approved for 125mph running without tilt.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nwales58

They could have had tilt if they were willing to fund an entirely bespoke design. Given the plans for HS2 when ordered it didn’t make any sense to spend a huge amount on what would be legacy trains on the WCML. Now it looks like a bit of a mistake given how much HS2 has been scaled back.
There is one off-the-shelf 360 km/h (passive) tilt train with a current production line. As it has end rather than distributed power, slimming the coaches for our loading gauge might not be too hard. OTOH its floor height would be a challenge for the UK. Talgo. OK, their deliveries range from late to very very late, but WCML could be desperate and DfT is mug enough to fall for another 'innovative', flexible solution.

superalbs

Established Member
863xxx carriage. Green lights at every seat!
I went on one today that was rotating between blue, green, yellow and red, on all the reservation screens, for the entire journey.

Quality.

The 805s are certainly very heavy on the automated announcements.
Tie that with a very keen guard, and you end up with 6 minutes solid of talking on departure.

Established Member
I went on one today that was rotating between blue, green, yellow and red, on all the reservation screens, for the entire journey.

Quality.

Tie that with a very keen guard, and you end up with 6 minutes solid of talking on departure.
What’s the blue light for?

345 050

I was ignoring the second because of location but I forgot all about the Birmingham to Holyhead, though Railperf seems to suggest the 805s are being held to a 110mph ceiling even where they could currently exceed that.
That holds with what I saw this afternoon, didn't get beyond 110.

More critically though, the service I got from HHD was supposed to be a double 805, but in the end ran as a 5-car due to 'the two units not playing nicely with each other' according to staff on board. Not exactly reassuring, and meant that the service departed 30 down, losing more time due to severe overcrowding - a lot of local journeys, not sure if another ATW service was cancelled as well this afternoon.

Jack Hay

That holds with what I saw this afternoon, didn't get beyond 110.

More critically though, the service I got from HHD was supposed to be a double 805, but in the end ran as a 5-car due to 'the two units not playing nicely with each other' according to staff on board. Not exactly reassuring, and meant that the service departed 30 down, losing more time due to severe overcrowding - a lot of local journeys, not sure if another ATW service was cancelled as well this afternoon.
It's a feature of the WCML timetable (inc. N.Wales) that some long distance trains have to carry local passengers too. There isn't a policy of separating them, presumably because it's cheaper not to. My particular bugbear is Crewe-Warrington-Wigan which is served only by Avanti (the only part of the WCML where this is the case) so the Pendos carry quite a lot of a short-hop local passengers. This includes even the London-Glasgow trains which you might think should not have to do this.

Railperf

Established Member
It's a feature of the WCML timetable (inc. N.Wales) that some long distance trains have to carry local passengers too. There isn't a policy of separating them, presumably because it's cheaper not to. My particular bugbear is Crewe-Warrington-Wigan which is served only by Avanti (the only part of the WCML where this is the case) so the Pendos carry quite a lot of a short-hop local passengers. This includes even the London-Glasgow trains which you might think should not have to do this.
It has been mentioned before that we could do with a stopping service from Crewe to Wigan and Preston. So it seems the power supply issue north of Crewe is probably preventing additional services being offered.
And it isn't clear whether Crewe has the capacity to be a terminus for trains to/ from the North in terms of platform capacity and pathing.
In the meantime, analysis by the Railway Performance Society has revealed quite a high percentage of 805's running in diesel mode between Crewe and Holyhead were already running with an engine out in the first fortnight of operation with a slight improvement in the situation during the second fortnight. Frustratingly this is disappointing for brand new trains which have had several years to have had the systems tweaked and improved! It was reported that a set was even running on a single engine!

Last edited:

Established Member
It has been mentioned before that we could do with a stopping service from Crewe to Wigan and Preston. So it seems the power supply issue north of Crewe is probably preventing additional services being offered.
And it isn't clear whether Crewe has the capacity to be a terminus for trains to/ from the North in terms of platform capacity and pathing.
In the meantime, analysis by the Railway Performance Society has revealed quite a high percentage of 805's running in diesel mode between Crewe and Holyhead were already running with an engine out in the first fortnight of operation with a slight improvement in the situation during the second fortnight. Frustratingly this is disappointing for brand new trains which have had several years to have had the systems tweaked and improved! It was reported that a set was even running on a single engine!
If it was running on a single engine, then failures of the others happened while in service. (Not that it makes it any better).
As it would not be allowed off a depot with only 1 engine operational.

Last edited:

Railperf

Established Member
No- one is claiming any set entered a diagram on one engine, but it certainly ended the day that way and IIRC was terminated before the end of the diagram.

AndrewE

Established Member
I think the 309s were considered for this, but I understand that something like the absence of central door locking stopped it. A second hourly Birmingham to Preston train would be a godsend. Not a "stopping service" as such, just duplicating the class 9s - although I guess they could call additionally at Newton-le-Willows or Earlestown. Maybe Hartford (and Leyland?) too if the unit's acceleration was good enough..?

I do remember a talk back in APT days in which it was said that Warrington to Wigan (Standish) was the critical pinch point for WCML capacity, which is why the Whelley line was being safeguarded. MGR Freight has gone now, so maybe finding paths wouldn't be such a problem.

Established Member
No- one is claiming any set entered a diagram on one engine, but it certainly ended the day that way and IIRC was terminated before the end of the diagram.
And I never said it did, did I?
Mearly stating a fact, and not disputing at all that it was on one engine!

Railperf

Established Member
I think the 309s were considered for this, but I understand that something like the absence of central door locking stopped it. A second hourly Birmingham to Preston train would be a godsend. Not a "stopping service" as such, just duplicating the class 9s - although I guess they could call additionally at Newton-le-Willows or Earlestown. Maybe Hartford (and Leyland?) too if the unit's acceleration was good enough..?

I do remember a talk back in APT days in which it was said that Warrington to Wigan (Standish) was the critical pinch point for WCML capacity, which is why the Whelley line was being safeguarded. MGR Freight has gone now, so maybe finding paths wouldn't be such a problem.
If there isn't enough electrical power to support Avanti's proposed 2nd Liverpool service, then that clearly limits any additional electric services you might wish to run. As it is veering slightly OT is this worth separating into a new topic?

Established Member
If there isn't enough electrical power to support Avanti's proposed 2nd Liverpool service, then that clearly limits any additional electric services you might wish to run. As it is veering slightly OT is this worth separating into a new topic?
All depends how much power 730s utilise versus Avanti 807? Maybe sufficient for 730s

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Another variation for 1D80 today (0530 Birmingham-Holyhead, double 805 ECS from Oxley, then forming 0853 Holyhead-Euston).
Often it is cancelled throughout, sometimes it reaches Crewe before being cancelled westwards.
Today it was ECS Oxley to Stafford to pick up its diagram there at 0604.
This might be the first time a service 805 has run via the Stafford Road curve at Wolverhampton - they normally are booked to reverse in Wolverhampton station.
So presumably the train is in reverse formation.
At least it has delivered a service west of Crewe today.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I took my first ride on one of these today from Rugby up to Birmingham New Street.

Generally, a significant improvement on the voyagers. Window alignment is very good, the acceleration is excellent (yet very smooth starts from stations) and a generally more pleasant ambience than the voyagers.

That said, the barrage of automated announcements is certainly rather unpleasant. Why did they decide to make them so loud? The ceiling is noticeably vibrating due to the excessive volume. They also seem much longer than necessary. This was particularly noticeable on the approach into Birmingham International where we received a detailed account of where to go for the NEC and the Airport. Quite why the TM decided to repeat the entire announcement manually I have no idea.

Turn down and tone down the announcements and I have very little to complain about.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Facilities on the 14:48 Holyhead to London Euston due 18:35.
Will be formed of 7 coaches instead of 10 between Holyhead and Chester

First 807 in traffic?

Established Member
Facilities on the 14:48 Holyhead to London Euston due 18:35.
Will be formed of 7 coaches instead of 10 between Holyhead and Chester

First 807 in traffic?
As others have said an 807 is all electric, and none have been accepted by Avanti.

All built 807s are currently at the Hitachi factory.

DaveyJones

Another variation for 1D80 today (0530 Birmingham-Holyhead, double 805 ECS from Oxley, then forming 0853 Holyhead-Euston).
Often it is cancelled throughout, sometimes it reaches Crewe before being cancelled westwards.
Today it was ECS Oxley to Stafford to pick up its diagram there at 0604.
This might be the first time a service 805 has run via the Stafford Road curve at Wolverhampton - they normally are booked to reverse in Wolverhampton station.
So presumably the train is in reverse formation.
At least it has delivered a service west of Crewe today.
There is a possession which prevents the Empty stock from reaching Birmingham New Street.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Most London-Glasgow trains are first stop Warrington, so they won't be carrying passengers from Crewe.

Trackman

Established Member
Wider but not deeper (being spaced for First Class they're very similar in size to the windows on loco hauled/HST Mk3s, but a bit lower down). Overall they feel more spacious, though, as they don't have a tilt profile.
They look deeper to me, but hey-ho.

Last edited: