• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Project Oval: TfL win DfT contract to expand contactless system to 233 rail stations by May 2024, Railcards coming to contactless payment cards

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It will be interesting to see if any of the long distance TOCs implement the Contactless Transit Model 3, where touchs in and out are matched to prepurchased tickets.

Interesting. I'm not sure how the two systems can co-exist using the same readers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

Interesting. I'm not sure how the two systems can co-exist using the same readers.
It seems like the idea would be if you have an advance (and the timing means you plausibly travelled on the right train), you get charged nothing; otherwise you get charged the walk-up fare. Seems reasonably doable, you just have to pass the list of advances into the existing nightly PAYG process.

That being said, it seems like there's a huge risk of someone getting charged a hefty walk-up fare because they used the wrong card (or, equivalently, used a mobile wallet when they shouldn't have). So I suspect the only way to really make it work is to run the railway 100% walk-up, as the Netherlands does.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there a confirmed 'go live' date for phase 1 yet?
No, nothing has been announced.

From the announcement back on 4 July 2023 - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/53-train-stations-to-benefit-from-tap-in-tap-out-rollout
Pay As You Go ticketing will be available at all of these stations by the end of December 2023 with individual openings dependent on the amount of existing technology at the stations. Further information on when each station will be introducing this will be available at each station.

Fazaar1889

No, nothing has been announced.

From the announcement back on 4 July 2023 - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/53-train-stations-to-benefit-from-tap-in-tap-out-rollout
Pay As You Go ticketing will be available at all of these stations by the end of December 2023 with individual openings dependent on the amount of existing technology at the stations. Further information on when each station will be introducing this will be available at each station.
Only 74 days left

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I wouldn't put it past the current government to announce in February that it was available in the previous December, and wonder why people weren't using it.
Surely it is a bigger win for them than that. Extension of contactless is something that many politicians have been calling for, which presumably reflects what they have heard from constituents. I would expect that many try to pretend it is the result of their campaigning.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That being said, it seems like there's a huge risk of someone getting charged a hefty walk-up fare because they used the wrong card (or, equivalently, used a mobile wallet when they shouldn't have). So I suspect the only way to really make it work is to run the railway 100% walk-up, as the Netherlands does.

The Oval area is mostly walk-up anyway. Advances exist but are a bit niche. This being the case they might as well stay on paper e-tickets.

Edvid

Established Member
Phase 1 may not be complete by year's end. From page 2 of TRU147:
A fourth fares revision of 2023 has been invoked for Sunday 03 December, to allow implementation of PAYG fares for these stations and make any adjustments to Single and Return fares to iron out any potential anomalies that may arise.

Unfortunately, at the time of writing some aspects of the fares structure have still not been confirmed, which casts some doubt over whether the end of December target will be met or not.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Phase 1 may not be complete by year's end. From page 2 of TRU147:
New fares will go live in the Oval area on the date mentioned in the TRU, whether or not TfL are ready.

The only way to stop that would be for the TOCs involved to roll back their changes, which would presumably require DfT approval.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Probably a stupid question, but how can the fares be loaded when the fares structure hasn't been confirmed?
What structure needs to be confirmed, and to who?

As noted above, the TOC fare setters just need to provide information on fares to TfL to implement. It would be expected that the fares will show in the TfL single fares finder (and other corresponding sources) once they go live.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Probably a stupid question, but how can the fares be loaded when the fares structure hasn't been confirmed?

There are fares visible for some stations. The Bletchley ones are there, they are very slightly cheaper than the paper tickets (other than Super Off Peak which I think is likely to be abolished, and the likely loss of the Off Peak validity in the evening), but only by a relatively small amount. You can see them on brfares.com.

They are presently shown as CPAY PEAK INFO and CPAY OFFPK INFO.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
There are two different fares systems involved: The National Rail one and Transport for London's.

Some journey planners are already showing new fares for enquiries on or after 3rd December, suggesting it's TfL's system that's having issues.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The Bletchley ones are there, they are very slightly cheaper than the paper tickets (other than Super Off Peak which I think is likely to be abolished, and the likely loss of the Off Peak validity in the evening), but only by a relatively small amount.
There is no reason for the Super Off Peak to be withdrawn (this hasn't happened on the Thameslink route), or for any change to validity of paper tickets. Contactless fares are, at this stage at least, additional to the existing fares.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is no reason for the Super Off Peak to be withdrawn (this hasn't happened on the Thameslink route), or for any change to validity of paper tickets. Contactless fares are, at this stage at least, additional to the existing fares.

Thanks. For me (indeed, for almost everyone) that'll mean better off using contactless into London but a paper (or e-)ticket back out!

Having said that I suspect many will switch for convenience - see also people buying Anytime Day Travelcards when for the most common use-case they are extremely poor value and will be even more so when 3% is stuck on top!

An aside on this that came up on another thread - why is Bletchley the end instead of MKC or Wolverton which is a natural urban boundary? Is it to avoid the complication of involving Avanti?

Haywain

Veteran Member
why is Bletchley the end instead of MKC or Wolverton which is a natural urban boundary? Is it to avoid the complication of involving Avanti?
Sorry, I have no inside knowledge of that although I would suspect that Avanti serving MKC may well be the reason.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
AIUI, Cubic need the new fares 6 weeks before live date to enable entry and thorough testing. TOCs have been very poor with their side of this bargain in recent years.

Milton Keynes is in phase two, or at least it is as far as the most recent map is concerned.

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but, PAYG fares in brfares are purely for information. They are not guaranteed to be correct. There is no electronic link between the NR fares database and TfL's back office and Oyster system.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
AIUI, Cubic need the new fares 6 weeks before live date to enable entry and thorough testing. TOCs have been very poor with their side of this bargain in recent years.
Presumably that can happen / can have happened without the proposed fares being public knowledge? However, is it this transfer process which is being delayed?

I don't really see how dividing some return fares by two, and adding on a bit in some cases to reflect expected revenue shortfalls, is a particular issue for TOC pricing teams to implement, given the experience of other extensions to Contactless that have already happened.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Presumably that can happen / can have happened without the proposed fares being public knowledge? However, is it this transfer process which is being delayed?

I don't really see how dividing some return fares by two, and adding on a bit in some cases to reflect expected revenue shortfalls, is a particular issue for TOC pricing teams to implement, given the experience of other extensions to Contactless that have already happened.
I don't profess to know the full ins and outs of how it works, but TOCs presumably have to set up fares to every underground/dlr station rather than just U-zone fares. There may even be fares to other NR stations the other side of London that need different treatment. I agree that most of them should know what to do by now. For a normal January March fare change the new fares are usually available on the single fare finder a couple of weeks before go-live.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
For a normal January March fare change the new fares are usually available on the single fare finder a couple of weeks before go-live.
Yes, but seemingly rarely available on the single fare finder to align with any new implementation.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Some journey planners are already showing new fares for enquiries for journeys on or after 3rd December, suggesting the six week lead time has been met from the TOC side.

Except the TOCs involved (other than c2c, GTR and GWR) don't have existing CPAY extensions, so they've had had a steep learning curve. In c2c's case, their entire network is in Phase 1, so they've effectively had to rip up their entire fare structure and start again.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, but seemingly rarely available on the single fare finder to align with any new implementation.
The fares are generally available from the fare change prior to the extension. This was certainly the case with the Thames Valley branches.
Some journey planners are already showing new fares for enquiries for journeys on or after 3rd December, suggesting the six week lead time has been met from the TOC side.
Is this using the RDG database (brfares)?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I don't profess to know the full ins and outs of how it works, but TOCs presumably have to set up fares to every underground/dlr station rather than just U-zone fares. There may even be fares to other NR stations the other side of London that need different treatment. I agree that most of them should know what to do by now. For a normal January March fare change the new fares are usually available on the single fare finder a couple of weeks before go-live.
Informed Sources say that pricing to U zones is still possible in Oval land. The difference is the amount of the add-on as it uses TfL's CPAY fares instead of the paper add-ons.

Which makes sense, as you'd otherwise end up having multiple fares that are identical apart from the destination.

The fares are generally available from the fare change prior to the extension. This was certainly the case with the Thames Valley branches.

Is this using the RDG database (brfares)?
BRFares isn't showing them, as I'm guessing they weren't supposed to be shown before 3rd December.

The Chiltern, Grand Central and LNER websites are, however, as is NRE.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Interestingly, Shepperton to Fulwell appears to see changes in paper fare prices, consistent with the basis of single leg pricing for an enquiry (GWR booking engine) on 6 December, which would represent a fare hike for returns on Sundays and in the evening, although other times would see a reduction.

The current fares are
Evening / Sunday Single £4.00
Anytime Day Single £4.30

Evening Out / Sunday out £5.00
Off peak day return £7.00
Anytime day return £8.60

The new single fares are £3 off peak / £4.30 off peak.

Off-peak day return reduces to £6.00 but picks up the afternoon restriction.

Interesting to see a fare change implemented for the 'paper' structure, at the same time as the contactless extension happens, rather than both co-existing.

Appears that SWR abolish Sunday Out and Evening Out wholly within the CPAY area from 3 December, together with the introduction of afternoon restrictions on off-peak day returns with the peak flow.

For me (indeed, for almost everyone) that'll mean better off using contactless into London but a paper (or e-)ticket back out!
Not sure about that, if the off-peak single with the flow picks up an evening restriction out of Euston.

Bletchley to Euston might be a good case study for analysing the apparent stealth fare increases happening from 3 December, although some passengers will pay less. Bletchley to Slough might be even more stark.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Except the TOCs involved (other than c2c, GTR and GWR) don't have existing CPAY extensions, so they've had had a steep learning curve. In c2c's case, their entire network is in Phase 1, so they've effectively had to rip up their entire fare structure and start again.
There were conference calls with pricing managers about this almost 18 months ago. How long do you think they need?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There were conference calls with pricing managers about this almost 18 months ago. How long do you think they need?
It wouldn't surpise me if the DfT are the ones holding this up.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It wouldn't surpise me if the DfT are the ones holding this up.
Looking at BRFares, I'd say that's fairly likely, probably with a side order of TfL issues.

Repricing seems to have been done in three stages:

Stage 1 (June): Line of route CPAY fares (e.g. Gerrards Cross - Wembley Stadium, Shepperton - Waterloo, Benfleet - Leigh-on-Sea, etc)
Stage 2 (September): Remaining CPAY fares (Oval - Oval, Oval - London Zones, Oval - Existing extensions)
Stage 3 (December): Paper fares

The latter being inferred from the item in TRU147.

Edvid

Established Member
Have c2c jumped the gun? Their route map PDF now assumes Phase 1 is operational on their patch.

I've attached a copy in case they replace it.

-----

Turns out there's a JPG copy as well, though I only found it after a Google search (hosted, but not visible on the site).

new-routes-and-stations.jpg

Attachments

• 655346329ab1d-655346329ab1ec2c_Route_OnlyMap.pdf.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited: