• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed trains for Stanstead: Class 379

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
This has probably been said i cant read through everything on my mobile but aren't train designs getting repetitive..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
if you think so then you'll be pleased to know that UIC now require greater crashworthiness, not sure if the TSI has been added to group standards yet, but expect future designs to have pointier noses - admittedly the first attempts (Class 70 and 380) aren't lookers, but I suspect things will improve with time (just look at the override protection lumps on Networkers and compare with later designs)

O L Leigh

Established Member
What are they going to do to the 319s then, if you say the 317s aren't up to it. Aren't they almost identical, give or take a couple of years?

I have no idea what this proposed "radical refit" that you refer to will involve or how much more life this will give the Cl319's. My suspicion is that it won't actually be anywhere near as radical as perhaps you are hoping.

O L Leigh

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very few people know that Stansted does not have an 'A' in its spelling.
I think you mean more than one 'A'.
Not even London Underground so it would seem!

picture.php

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have no idea what this proposed "radical refit" that you refer to will involve or how much more life this will give the Cl319's. My suspicion is that it won't actually be anywhere near as radical as perhaps you are hoping.
O L Leigh

Major mechanical overhaul, complete gutting and rebuild inside, air conditioning added, disabled toilets (unless they get rid of them?). I would say a pretty major job.

But you're right about crashworthiness. If, say, a rebuild required compliance with tighter rules on this - then such a project would presumably become unfeasible.

Aictos

Established Member
The 319s were 1987-1888 and the later ones in 1990, which gives a nine year period in which the 317s and 319s were built.

Wow, that is amazing in we can build trains and go back in time at the same time! :lol:

Vulcan

I think I read somewhere that the continuously glazed windows that the 170s have aren't safe as in a crash they are more likely to smash?

I don't think they are actually continuously glazed all the way down, just the window pillers are covered in darkerned glass to give the effect.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Major mechanical overhaul...

Sounds like a C6X exam. All the old bits repaired and bolted back on again, as per the Cl315 refurb.

...complete gutting and rebuild inside...

Probably some new internal panels, flooring and just maybe new seating (though probably in the existing configuration).

...air conditioning added, disabled toilets (unless they get rid of them?).

Not a biggy. Probably a similar installation to the Cl317/7's, together with the associated lowering of the ceiling panels to accommodate the ducting. Unfortunately the disabled loo will mean the loss of quite a lot of seating.

I would say a pretty major job.

I guess time will tell.

O L Leigh

ukrob

Established Member
Not a biggy. Probably a similar installation to the Cl317/7's, together with the associated lowering of the ceiling panels to accommodate the ducting. Unfortunately the disabled loo will mean the loss of quite a lot of seating.

Not an issue at all in the NW - they will be replacing 2 car trains and also operating at a greater frequency.

jon0844

Veteran Member
They.. ..will use Bombardier's Orbita predictive monitoring system to report faults back to the depot.

Wow, that's probably the most important bit of the train. Given their amazing track (sic) record of building new trains, the depot better have a stable, high-bandwidth, data connection!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Wow, that's probably the most important bit of the train. Given their amazing track (sic) record of building new trains, the depot better have a stable, high-bandwidth, data connection!

Umm yes and no... Imagine this:!
System: Whole train's fubared. Solution - get a 380 in to do the job properly as Derby still can't build trains.

I think the award goes to

Bombardier has two production lines running, and expects to deliver the EMUs between March and June next year.

Meaning between July and January 2012.

jon0844

Veteran Member
A future conversation:

"What's wrong with the train?"

"Dunno mate, the Orbita predictive monitoring system is knackered"

Pumbaa

Established Member
"System suggests hamsters pulling a shoebox along rails would be more reliable. And probably quicker"

jon0844

Veteran Member
Driver Dave: Open the doors, train.

Train: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Pumbaa

Established Member
System: "I'm so depressed. All I do is open doors, sit around and then break down. It's such a miserable existence for something with a mind that could be potentially so much better if I just hadn't been built at Derby".

Helvellyn

Established Member
Passenger at Liverpool Street: -

"Is this the train to Stansted?"

"Computer say no"

Not an issue at all in the NW - they will be replacing 2 car trains and also operating at a greater frequency.

Just a thought, but if 86 new driving motors and 86 new driving trailers were constructed (only 172 new vehicles - less than the cancelled HLOS 202 DMU vehicles), 86 x 4-car units could be re-formed into 172 x 3-car units. Might this make sense?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not a biggy. Probably a similar installation to the Cl317/7's, together with the associated lowering of the ceiling panels to accommodate the ducting. Unfortunately the disabled loo will mean the loss of quite a lot of seating.O L Leigh

Though hopefully more reliable! This is a real issue, because the space that the air con was crammed into on the 317s was so tight, it was almost impossible to develop a viable air con solution. This is a real risk for the Class 319 project.

D6975

Established Member
Does anyone know the unit/coach numbers for the 379s?
The 380s, which are only a short time ahead of them production wise had their numbers nailed down long ago, but I can't find any info on the 379s.

The usual font of all such knowledge doesn't have the info. (the junction)

Skimble19

Established Member
379001 would be the first unit number I imagine, I'd guess it'd go from there.. No idea for coach numbers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.