• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Proposed Transdev X41/X43 Changes within Manchester

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I can’t imagine that would be a particularly big market, as you’d buy a through rail ticket in those situations. From the M65 corridor its usually quicker to go via Preston if you’re connecting into long distance services on the train.

Most people on the bus will be going to Manchester. With Shudehill you get reliable timing and a nicer place to wait, but the flip side is it’s quite the walk to a lot of the commercial offices areas around St Peter’s Square.
I don't know how much you know East Lancs, but the current Blackburn to Kirkby rounders cannot be relied on for a start of a journey where there are connections, whereas the buses are a lot more frequent and can be trusted to arrive no more than 30 mins late max, usually.

Via Preston is a bit better, but again there are a lot of destinations with more direct trains from Manchester.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I don't know how much you know East Lancs, but the current Blackburn to Kirkby rounders cannot be relied on for a start of a journey where there are connections, whereas the buses are a lot more frequent and can be trusted to arrive no more than 30 mins late max, usually.
As well as timing, my point is also that if you were travelling long distance by train you’d start with the train. You mention delays- even with split tickets, if a train is delayed it’s a railway problem. But if the bus is late it’s a you problem. For expensive long-distance travel you have to take that into account with timing.

Manchester will be the main traffic draw for the X43. Shudehill is definitely a compromise. More reliable timings, no sitting in a traffic jam, and a much nicer place to wait for your bus, but unless you’re going to Printworks or Arndale it’s a longer walk, the faff of the free bus, or the cost of the tram.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
As well as timing, my point is also that if you were travelling long distance by train you’d start with the train. You mention delays- even with split tickets, if a train is delayed it’s a railway problem. But if the bus is late it’s a you problem. For expensive long-distance travel you have to take that into account with timing.

Manchester will be the main traffic draw for the X43. Shudehill is definitely a compromise. More reliable timings, no sitting in a traffic jam, and a much nicer place to wait for your bus, but unless you’re going to Printworks or Arndale it’s a longer walk, the faff of the free bus, or the cost of the tram.
The through ticketing is a decent advantage, I'll give you that.
But the frequency disparity significantly compensates.

Shudehill is a good place to serve as one of the stops - agreed on that, I just don't get why they don't bother with the 5 mins on to Picc Gardens. It isn't horrifically congested like Deansgate or any of the roads in that area.