• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pros and Cons of Various Train Booking Websites / Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaelan

Scotrail
- Only way (?) to buy Scotrail m-tickets inc Super-Off Peak / simple app
ScotRail's a Trainline app, so I believe Trainline or any Trainline-derived TOC app would work here.
Railboard
- Honourable mention if you're on iOS; nice UI for checking departures. Modern spiritual successor to the National Rail Enquiries app, with built-in ticketing support.
Worth noting (as I'm sure you're aware, Adam!) Railboard uses Trainsplit behind the scenes and thus will find all the same splits.
Uber - 10 per cent Uber credit back on all rail tickets at least until the end of February.

You can also buy Uber gift cards at below face value (eg through employers' perks schemes, or Airtime Rewards [4% cashback] to achieve an even greater saving on your rail travel.

While the 10 per cent offer continues, it's a no brainer.
And (last I checked) has a bug allowing it to mis-issue a ticket to my advantage (on the order of a couple quid)! Though I haven't tried actually buying/using the ticket in question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotTrains

I find RedSpottedHanky's 'fares view' the easiest and clearest way for finding point to point journeys. It's far better than the 'mixing desk' view!
Unfortunately they now charge a booking fee so I don't actually buy tickets from them.

I'll then use a split ticket website to find cheaper ticket combinations.

I'll then often use the operator's website to book (to allow me to choose seats) or I'll go with the operator giving the best cashback (through bank cards/Topcashback/Quidco/airtime etc.)
Also, promotional fares are often only available through the operator's own website/app.

Lastly, despite being relatively young I still prefer good old fashioned physical paper tickets. I'm not a fan of e/m-tickets especially when you are travelling using multiple tickets with multiple operators with an electronic railcard too!

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I still prefer good old fashioned physical paper tickets. I'm not a fan of e/m-tickets especially when you are travelling using multiple tickets with multiple operators with an electronic railcard too!
Each to their own, of course, but that's when I prefer e-tickets as it saves lugging half a tree round with you in printed tickets!
Actually, I always prefer e-tickets, but even more so when there are splits and lots of tickets.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'll then use a split ticket website to find cheaper ticket combinations

I’ll then often use the operator's website to book (to allow me to choose seats)

This is somewhat underhand because if everyone did this sites like Trainsplit would not exist.

If you don’t want to pay the share of saving fee at least have the decency to purchase each ticket through Trainsplit by adding the tickets to your basket manually. Trainsplit also has a seat selector. That way at least Trainsplit earns some commission for their work.

Haywain

Veteran Member
This is somewhat underhand because if everyone did this sites like Trainsplit would not exist.
It's not underhand, it's normal behaviour in shopping these days, and you have selectively quoted to back up your accusation by not quoting a reason given for using other sites.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

If you don’t want to pay the share of saving fee at least have the decency to purchase each ticket through Trainsplit by adding the tickets to your basket manually. Trainsplit also has a seat selector. That way at least Trainsplit earns some commission for their work.
It's very normal behaviour. Most people shop around for the best price. I would say it's unusual behaviour to pay the most expensive price. Most people on here avoid trainline because of the fees (which aren't always payable anyway) but actively use trainsplit because they don't call them fees. It's a marketing man's dream!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's not underhand, it's normal behaviour in shopping these days, and you have selectively quoted to back up your accusation by not quoting a reason given for using other sites.

It's very normal behaviour. Most people shop around for the best price. I would say it's unusual behaviour to pay the most expensive price. Most people on here avoid trainline because of the fees (which aren't always payable anyway) but actively use trainsplit because they don't call them fees. It's a marketing man's dream!
Of course there's nothing to stop people from doing this but if everyone did it then sites like Trainsplit would not exist and everyone would lose out. I doubt Trainline would've introduced their own split ticketing facility if it wasn't for Trainsplit.

There are advantages and disadvantages to different website. Some charge fees, other's don't. Some automatically offer split tickets, others don't. Some offer better terms when making changes to travel plans, others don't. Some offer better journey planning solutions allowing more curious routeings/tickets, others don't. Some offer a seat selector, others don't etc etc. Having such a variety of websites to purchase tickets from is a good thing. Many say there should only be one central website through which to purchase tickets but that would be absolutely awful - can you imagine it. There would be absolutely no innovation and passengers would lose out.

Status
Not open for further replies.