• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

PTAC USE

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I had reason to visit an EMR ticket office this morning to purchase some PRIV tickets. When I showed my TfL issued PTAC i was told it was only valid on TfL services.
Is this a common occurrence. The reason I was surprised is that it was readily accepted at Fort William ticket office and at Northern ticket office with no questions.

PTAC= Privilege Travel Authority Card

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
I had reason to visit an EMR ticket office this morning to purchase some PRIV tickets. When I showed my TfL issued PTAC i was told it was only valid on TfL services.
Is this a common occurrence. The reason I was surprised is that it was readily accepted at Fort William ticket office and at Northern ticket office with no questions.

PTAC= Privilege Travel Authority Card

If possible, might be better asking on TfL's internal chat portal for data points on acceptance. It has to be assumed only an isolated minority of ticket sellers would refuse the sale.

In terms of practical solutions, do you know anyone who could buy the tickets online and send you the TOD collection reference? Otherwise you can travel and buy a ticket at the first opportunity.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Sure does, that's what staggered me and it says ALL RAIL.
The double arrow is the important part rather than All Rail
If possible, might be better asking on TfL's internal chat portal for data points on acceptance. It has to be assumed only an isolated minority of ticket sellers would refuse the sale.

In terms of practical solutions, do you know anyone who could buy the tickets online and send you the TOD collection reference? Otherwise you can travel and buy a ticket at the first opportunity.

Just lack of training or willingness to check here

pitdiver

I was sold a ticket in the end but I had to explain the PTAC. I think it maybe that the ticket seller may have never seen one before.

We can only buy Privs at stns or on train at the moment.

philthetube

Established Member
Have had to explain my LUL priv once but then had no issues boing sold a ticket.

pitdiver

I
Have had to explain my LUL priv once but then had no issues boing sold a ticket.
I think I might have to do that.The strange thing was that the guy in the Ticket Office at Fort William knew exactly what is was.
Obviously a lot of TfL employees visit FW.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Obviously a lot of TfL employees visit FW.
This might very well be true. It's a nice but expensive train ride - so I did it when I had staff travel, you've done it, and we're probably not alone. So the Fort William ticket office are probably familiar with pretty much every piece of priv documentation.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
This might very well be true. It's a nice but expensive train ride - so I did it when I had staff travel, you've done it, and we're probably not alone. So the Fort William ticket office are probably familiar with pretty much every piece of priv documentation.
Perhaps they're longer serving staff that had better training in the past, with more knowledge and experience

pitdiver

My wife and I did it a year or so ago on the Cally Sleeper. The icing on the cake was we were adjudged to be 59 minutes late on the north bound so I got 50% of what I paid returned. Whilst we were there we went on to Mallaig ( well you have to). That's when I had the encounter with the FW booking office.

philthetube

Established Member
My wife and I did it a year or so ago on the Cally Sleeper. The icing on the cake was we were adjudged to be 59 minutes late on the north bound so I got 50% of what I paid returned. Whilst we were there we went on to Mallaig ( well you have to). That's when I had the encounter with the FW booking office.
I suspect 90% of priv holders on this forum will have visited FW

Gonzoiku

I suspect 90% of priv holders on this forum will have visited FW

I assume you mean "by train", and if so, i am in the elite 10%.

But if not, several times! Including overnight on Belford Hospital :( although I have to say the hospitality of both staff and fellow patients was exemplary.

GZ

Status
Not open for further replies.