• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pub help , Willesden Junction , Gospel Oak and Barking

dave87016

Established Member
Sorry for the short notice but I’m going London tommorow combining spotting and boozing , would appreciate any help with pubs close to above mentioned stations as I’m going first class outward on Avanti and returning on LNER I will posting a photo of the meals on this forum under trip reports

Many thanks in advance for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Sorry for the short notice but I’m going London tommorow combining spotting and boozing , would appreciate any help with pubs close to above mentioned stations as I’m going first class outward on Avanti and returning on LNER I will posting a photo of the meals on this forum under trip reports

Many thanks in advance for any help
I'd recommend the Southampton Arms which is not far from Gospel Oak.

dmncf

This good restaurant / cafe / bar is less than a 10-minute walk from Willesden Junction Station. It has indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the canal. It's not a pub, but it serves alcoholic drinks and I recommend it unless you get any pub alternatives.

AndrewE

Established Member
Cheers pal roughly how long walk from station ?
Do you use "Whatpub?" https://whatpub.com/ can be searched for all sorts of features and is especially good for finding pubs near stations. It doesn't do recommendations though, so you have to read between the lines a bit!
You could try using the Good Beer Guide too (where inclusion is a sort of a recommendation...)

Wolfie

Established Member
To be honest l go through Barking quite a lot and most of the pubs are bloody awful.

You might look at the Beer in the Evening website to get some insights.

dave87016

Established Member
This good restaurant / cafe / bar is less than a 10-minute walk from Willesden Junction Station. It has indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the canal. It's not a pub, but it serves alcoholic drinks and I recommend it unless you get any pub alternatives.

Do you use "Whatpub?" https://whatpub.com/ can be searched for all sorts of features and is especially good for finding pubs near stations. It doesn't do recommendations though, so you have to read between the lines a bit!
You could try using the Good Beer Guide too (where inclusion is a sort of a recommendation...)

To be honest l go through Barking quite a lot and most of the pubs are bloody awful.

You might look at the Beer in the Evening website to get some insights.
Many thanks once again guys - last time I went Willesden Junction Gospel Oak or barking was when the class 87’s were in the last years on the WCML IIRC there was a pub about 5 mins walk from station don’t know if it’s still there , I don’t use those apps but seems it might well be worth giving them a try

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's not those specific stations so not sure if it's of help to you or not, but there are couple of good pubs near to Crouch Hill station on the GOBLIN. The Old Dairy is a couple of minutes walk, if that. The Faltering Fullback is more like ten minutes, it's a good chunk of the way down to Finsbury Park, but worth a walk if you have time.

Wolfie

Established Member
It's not those specific stations so not sure if it's of help to you or not, but there are couple of good pubs near to Crouch Hill station on the GOBLIN. The Old Dairy is a couple of minutes walk, if that. The Faltering Fullback is more like ten minutes, it's a good chunk of the way down to Finsbury Park, but worth a walk if you have time.
Yup, both very good pubs.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Among a dire (and shrinking) set of options, the Spotted Dog would almost certainly be your best bet in Barking. Just to the left of the station, on the corner of Wakering Road. I can't think of any that would warrant even a slightly longer walk...

dave87016

Established Member

Yup, both very good pubs.

Among a dire (and shrinking) set of options, the Spotted Dog would almost certainly be your best bet in Barking. Just to the left of the station, on the corner of Wakering Road. I can't think of any that would warrant even a slightly longer walk...
Thank you kindly once again I shall be on a zone 1-6 travel card so may also take the suggestions at Crouch hill station

DelW

Established Member
Thank you kindly once again I shall be on a zone 1-6 travel card so may also take the suggestions at Crouch hill station
Might be too late for you as I missed this thread yesterday, but Brave Sir Robin is just across the road from Crouch Hill station and does some interesting beers.

At Gospel Oak, the Southampton Arms is a must visit if you're into cask beer or real cider.

AndrewE

Established Member
Might be too late for you as I missed this thread yesterday, but Brave Sir Robin is just across the road from Crouch Hill station and does some interesting beers.
which is on whatpub as https://whatpub.com/pubs/NLD/5607/robin-ale-cider-house-london Robin Ale and Cider house. Sounds a good place, maybe a destination for a trip out in its own right!
At Gospel Oak, the Southampton Arms is a must visit if you're into cask beer or real cider.
which is the second closest on WhatPub if you put the postcode of the station in, surprisingly (& most unusually) it doesn't recognise the station! it also sounds well worth visiting.
I don’t use those apps but seems it might well be worth giving them a try

N.b Whatpub isn't an app requiring downloading, it's just a webpage (& quite easy to use - but that might be because of the amount if practise I have had!)

DelW

Established Member
which is on whatpub as https://whatpub.com/pubs/NLD/5607/robin-ale-cider-house-london Robin Ale and Cider house. Sounds a good place, maybe a destination for a trip out in its own right!
I had a feeling it might have changed name slightly in its latest incarnation - I don't get around that area as often as I used to. It's had many names in the last four decades!
which is the second closest on WhatPub if you put the postcode of the station in, surprisingly (& most unusually) it doesn't recognise the station! it also sounds well worth visiting.
Very much so, as well as a great beer and cider range it still does proper pub snacks (pies and rolls) at sensible prices (well, for London pubs).

Wolfie

Established Member

The Brave Sir Robin is new but l've heard good things. I believe that the owner (manager?) used to be involved with the Southampton Arms.

Wolfie

Established Member
We are in violent agreement about Barking pubs. It says a lot how much an indifferent Spoons is missed. I know that a replacement is planned, let's hope that it happens.

Dave W

The Brave Sir Robin is new but l've heard good things. I believe that the owner (manager?) used to be involved with the Southampton Arms.

Correct. But it's not the Brave Sir Robin as mentioned up thread - that was the pub's name in a previous incarnation.

A pub so good that if you're not in there with a table by 5:30 on a Saturday you can forget it. Old Dairy is a bit hit and miss for me, the better pub is the Stapleton Tavern opposite.

Soton Arms the obvious choice for Gospel Oak although the Gipsy Queen is also a nice pub. Too late now but naturally the best pub on the Goblin (sorry to Suffragette fans) is the Salisbury at Harringay Green Lanes ;)

Wolfie

Established Member
Correct. But it's not the Brave Sir Robin as mentioned up thread - that was the pub's name in a previous incarnation.

A pub so good that if you're not in there with a table by 5:30 on a Saturday you can forget it. Old Dairy is a bit hit and miss for me, the better pub is the Stapleton Tavern opposite.

Soton Arms the obvious choice for Gospel Oak although the Gipsy Queen is also a nice pub. Too late now but naturally the best pub on the Goblin (sorry to Suffragette fans) is the Salisbury at Harringay Green Lanes ;)
Agreed re the Salisbury.

dave87016

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your kind input I will certainly try the suggestions you have put forward on my next outing