• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pumpkin Sheffield closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

davetheguard

Established Member
They weren’t bad when they started - mind you back then there often wasn’t much alternative.

And the Upper Crust baggettes were at least twice the size they are now - the whole thing, not one cut in two or three.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
I don’t mind Pumpkin to be honest. Pumpkin do some nice paninis and usually have a very good selection of drinks, cakes and snacks. I also prefer their teas and hot chocolates compared to some other vendors. Upper Crust are OK but their baguettes just seem to be out and uncovered all day which kind of puts me off a bit. Some of these outlets are still popular - The Upper Crust in Swindon (on platforms 1–3) regularly has long queues in the morning peak. I’d imagine a Pret (or similar) would also be popular there though.

I think my favourite are the Cafe Express outlets that they have at places like Bridgend, Chester and Banbury. A good selection of hot food and the prices aren’t too bad.
Pumpkin and Upper Crust is all the same nonsense.

All SSP rubbish should be confined to a skip. The prices are ludicrous and they're just generally awful. They refresh their brands periodically, 20 years or so ago they were Lemon Tree, then they became Pumpkin and they've trialled a few others before settling on Café Local as the latest.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Pumpkin at Newton Abbot was a sad poorly set-up addition to the corner of a waiting room when I visited in April. Some are quite smart, many are well past their sell-by dates. I get the impression that SSP outlets are gradually being replaced on stations by smaller chain outlets (or it's SSP under cunning new disguises).

As an aside I was quite bemused to see an Upper Crust at Berlin Hauptbahnhof

The Pumpkin in Newton Abbot has happy memories as it was the last place I was ever I.D'd for my age :lol:

urbophile

Established Member
What's SSP? My usual travel doesn't include any stations with food outlets so I'm a bit our. of touch.

Qwerty133

Established Member
SSP is a catering company that holds a monopoly over station catering and overcharges customers go do not realise that the differently branded outlets charging essentially the same price (usually with one outlet being slightly less extortionate with the intention of tricking people into suggesting that outlet is good value for money) for substandard food and drinks are all run by the same company.

island

Veteran Member
What's SSP? My usual travel doesn't include any stations with food outlets so I'm a bit our. of touch.
Select Service Partners (although it might like BP and others now officially stand for nothing), a provider of average to poor quality catering in stations and travel environments.

They have a portfolio of their own brands such as Upper Crust, Délice de France, Café Local, and Café Ritazza. They also operate better-known brands such as M&S and Burger King under licence. They used to give out discount cards called Bite Card which gave 20% (later 10%) off purchases from some of their outlets. They aren't issuing new cards but cards in issue remain valid.

YorksLad12

Established Member
SSP is a catering company that holds a monopoly over station catering and overcharges customers go do not realise that the differently branded outlets charging essentially the same price (usually with one outlet being slightly less extortionate with the intention of tricking people into suggesting that outlet is good value for money) for substandard food and drinks are all run by the same company.
And before that, Travellers Fare (British Rail's catering department).

Sad, a drink at a Pumpkin has turned into a staple of British rail travel. I still remember the many times I sat in the Norwich branch of Pumpkin before it shut down a few years ago.

Mainline421

Yep. Repeat for Upper Crust which I’ve never ever understood the appeal of especially when they are regular branded shops a minute away. Soulless, expensive, and only average quality (at best) produce.
The pricing may not be good, but you can't fault the quality of their baguettes. Better than you'll find at Pret or Greggs

gswindale

With M&S, I seem to be able to get a better deal by buying at Reading Station Simply Food than I do if I purchase at the main M&S in town due to the Station doing a "meal deal" which seems to then work out cheaper than the High St price despite everything being priced slightly higher.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I genuinely don't remember the last time I bought a coffee in Pumpkin, they were a key part of all my rail trips for a long time. The Bite Card helped no end, as did their loyalty card which became really hard to get hold of.

The prices in Pumpkin, and the service in all 3 of my last visits in the last 12 months, have been ridiculous. My last hot drink was a PG Tips peppermint tea in Salisbury, nearly 2 years ago, from memory. If I see Pumpkin, I actively avoid it now to be honest, the pricing is way too high for what you get.

I have plenty of good memories of SSP brands, the Upper Crust in Newport was always a favourite in childhood for hot ham and cheese baguettes. That example is definitely one that I don't want to forget, good times :)

It would need checking, but I think Pumpkin is still going in Hereford. The lack of any real competition nearby helps of course, the coffee in the Morrisons cafe is better and more reasonably priced, but the queue to get a takeaway coffee is significant. Plus those paper lids are unpleasant to deal with!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Out of all the SSP brands I prefer pumpkins coffee the best and hope that the blend is similar when the inevitable happens and the branch on the London bound platform at Chatham is rebranded

Many happy memories of refreshments from pumpkin at all manner of destinations, yes they are not the cheapest but I always thought the quality was there compared to the likes of Greggs or upper crust or similar and I just liked it because it was a bit unique and wasn't a big brand like Costa or Starbucks etc, I now can't stand Costa as have found their coffee got increasingly bitter and prices are now higher than I'll pay

Scott1

Costa is certainly pretty pricey, at most of the stations I go to. They are more than the SSP outlets, which is quite the achievement. Plus at Pumpkin I get a stamp on my loyalty card without needing an app.

GardenRail

Give it a month and it'll be yet another Starbucks. If it's anything like the one on Platform 4 at Doncaster, it'll be filthy and tatty. When did people's standards become so low.....

skyhigh

Established Member
Give it a month and it'll be yet another Starbucks. If it's anything like the one on Platform 4 at Doncaster, it'll be filthy and tatty. When did people's standards become so low.....
I could understand why you'd be annoyed if it was a decent independent before, but all that's happening here is yet another tatty Pumpkin is being replaced

GardenRail

I could understand why you'd be annoyed if it was a decent independent before, but all that's happening here is yet another tatty Pumpkin is being replaced
Oh no, far from upset. More of an observation. As in, it'll just be more corporate, souless, microwaved pre done sandwiches/toastie. With lackluster staff, and poor standards of café cleanliness. Just like under the Pumpkin franchise.

Pity the railway don't let it to a smaller business, who actually cares.

WesternBiker

I genuinely don't remember the last time I bought a coffee in Pumpkin, they were a key part of all my rail trips for a long time.
I've long since given up buying coffee at stations - it's too much of a lottery, and a grim cup of coffee (especially at SSP prices) is a good way to put me in a bad mood. I've never been impressed with Pumpkin; Upper Crust at Paddington used to be okay for baguettes, but the "freshly made" seems to have dropped off a bit - and since the advent of the M&S store there, there is a better alternative.

As others have said, standards of cleanliness often leave something to be desired in rail outlets - one of those things that really annoys me, as it is not difficult to get right.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've long since given up buying coffee at stations - it's too much of a lottery, and a grim cup of coffee (especially at SSP prices) is a good way to put me in a bad mood. I've never been impressed with Pumpkin; Upper Crust at Paddington used to be okay for baguettes, but the "freshly made" seems to have dropped off a bit - and since the advent of the M&S store there, there is a better alternative.

As others have said, standards of cleanliness often leave something to be desired in rail outlets - one of those things that really annoys me, as it is not difficult to get right.

Understandable, I used to buy coffee on my travels much more than I do now. When I do, I'm more likely to make a beeline for a Pret if available, based on less than amazing experiences in non-chain places. I will go to a non-chain place if it's a realistic option, but given they're usually much more expensive than the chains I tend to steer clear now.

A specific example there would be Crewe. The price of just a standard black coffee in the Gourmet Coffee place has gone up significantly just this year. In my opinion, standards are not yet slipping but they're on the way to that direction. The last time I was there, it was better value to go to the WHSmith and use the Costa Express machine instead. When a 'large' black coffee at Gourmet is £3.50 (or thereabouts) but the same size 'large' coffee is available on a Costa Express machine for £3.25 then I'm sorry but I'm going for the machine.

I'm 100% with you on the cleanliness standards thing, it doesn't take a genius to maintain a good level of cleanliness to go with a good level of service and good quality product. I suspect a lot of the lack of cleanliness comes down to budget cuts.

D6130

Established Member
As an aside I was quite bemused to see an Upper Crust at Berlin Hauptbahnhof
They are quite common on continental stations....especially in France, the home of the baguette. Off the top of my head, I can think of the Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon in Paris and several other large provincial stations.

route101

Established Member
Prices are elevated at all station outlets because Network Rail wants its cut.

Indeed, isn't that why you typically didn't get McDs at stations and motorway services, because they wouldn't allow franchisees to change the prices? I believe they now do, though, hence them being quite common now at the latter.

Upper Crust was innovative 20 years ago but has now been rather eclipsed by others offering a better version of the same idea e.g. Pret.
Yes rarely see McDonalds at UK stations except a few London terminals and Leeds. Roadchef motorway services often have a McDonalds.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There's at least one Pret in a Railway Station: https://goo.gl/maps/TRT7DgiuwpS9CdDd8 (link to Google Street View image of Pret at King's Cross West Concourse).
Pity the railway don't let it to a smaller business, who actually cares.
Some do, although they're pushed to the limit with rent. The long running argument about the Runaway Cafe at Lewes in Sussex showing there was a certain strength of feeling for the independent chain.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If we actually thought about it we could actually revolutionize on train catering by a bit of joined up thinking letting outlets on stations to good quality independence who would not only provide a service to those users at that station but could also have a hot and cold of meals available to collect from passengers traveling on long distance services passing through that station and served to customers at seat by train staff. And somebody needs to speak to network Rail about the rent for any tiny little scrap of space on stations. I know some operators have been better at helping this happen for small local independence but NR should in my view the looking seriously at this

Henffordd

tomuk

Established Member
Current roadside franchised Prets are
Ardwick (Motor Fuel Group), Beverley (Motor Fuel Group), Bush Hill (Motor Fuel Group), Champion (Motor Fuel Group), Cherwell Valley Services (Moto), Chieveley (Moto), Crow Orchard (Motor Fuel Group), Donington Park Services (Moto), Edenbridge (Motor Fuel Group), Exeter Services (Moto), Exeter University, Ferrybridge (Moto), Gloucester Road (Motor Fuel Group), Ings (Motor Fuel Group), Kingston (Motor Fuel Group), Leigh Delamere (Moto), Lewisham (Motor Fuel Group), Mount Pleasant (Motor Fuel Group), Newark (Welcome Break), Reading East (Moto), Reading West (Moto), Redbridge (Motor Fuel Group), Rugby (Moto), Ruislip (Motor Fuel Group), Shinfield (Motor Fuel Group), Southgate (Motor Fuel Group), Souths Mimms Services (Welcome Break), Stafford (Moto), Stevenage (Motor Fuel Group), Tamworth (Moto), Victoria Road (Motor Fuel Group), Warwick University and Wetherby (Moto).

zwk500

Veteran Member
If we actually thought about it we could actually revolutionize on train catering by a bit of joined up thinking letting outlets on stations to good quality independence who would not only provide a service to those users at that station but could also have a hot and cold of meals available to collect from passengers traveling on long distance services passing through that station and served to customers at seat by train staff. And somebody needs to speak to network Rail about the rent for any tiny little scrap of space on stations. I know some operators have been better at helping this happen for small local independence but NR should in my view the looking seriously at this
BIB - this works for the odd train for individual passengers but try and do it on a regular basis and it'll fall apart immediately.

The_Van

I don’t mind Pumpkin to be honest. Pumpkin do some nice paninis and usually have a very good selection of drinks, cakes and snacks. I also prefer their teas and hot chocolates compared to some other vendors. Upper Crust are OK but their baguettes just seem to be out and uncovered all day which kind of puts me off a bit. Some of these outlets are still popular - The Upper Crust in Swindon (on platforms 1–3) regularly has long queues in the morning peak. I’d imagine a Pret (or similar) would also be popular there though.

I think my favourite are the Cafe Express outlets that they have at places like Bridgend, Chester and Banbury. A good selection of hot food and the prices aren’t too bad.
Agree was at Crewe on Saturday and the Upper Crust on platform 6 had all their baguettes uncovered, tables were dirty and no rubbish tided away. Staff were very pleasant though and the coffee was reasonable

There's Maccies on the Ramp just outside New Street!
Awful place, the one on the Upper Level of Liverpool Street concourse is now take away only no seating at all

Status
Not open for further replies.