• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Putting the 'Turbo' in 'Turbostar' today on the Harrogate line (straight run Harrogate to Leeds due to knock on delays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I was very impressed today by the driver operating the 16:42 York - Leeds via Harrogate service!

Essentially it departed York 12 minutes late, by the time it reached Harrogate it was 28 minutes behind and then a decision was made to run it straight through to Leeds as there was another Leeds service right behind it by then for anyone that wanted stops along the way

It departed Harrogate at 17:44 and by 18:06 was in the platform at Leeds!

Does anyone know how fast we would have been going to achieve such a run, it was literally a seamless straight blast down the line! LNER could probably get pretty close if they didn't include the Horsforth call

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I was very impressed today by the driver operating the 16:42 York - Leeds via Harrogate service!

Essentially it departed York 12 minutes late, by the time it reached Harrogate it was 28 minutes behind and then a decision was made to run it straight through to Leeds as there was another Leeds service right behind it by then for anyone that wanted stops along the way

Does anyone know how fast we would have been going to achieve such a run, it was literally a seamless straight blast down the line! LNER could probably get pretty close if they didn't include the Horsforth call
18mi, 24ch (18.3 miles) Harrogate to Leeds - so I make it 49.35mph.

Maximum linespeed is only 60mph and there are some PSRs to as low as 20. Considering that, quite a good performance I think.

skyhigh

Established Member

This is fairly normal, the contingency plan calls for withdrawn stops when a train is above X mins late and there's another train within a specified timeframe.

It probably happens a couple of times a week. You can make up some decent time that way, as you've seen.

Class15

On Moderation

It regularly happens during delays on the NLL, typically a train will run fast from Stratford to Gospel Oak or vice versa, possibly stopping at Camden Road or Highbury if there’s time. Usually makes up a lot of time as the trains usually spend most of their time accelerating, decelerating or at the platform!

Status
Not open for further replies.