• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Puzzled about the popularity of Trainline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Jones 88

It gives me the ability to bulk buy all the tickets I need for the month, the TVM is no good to use to buy the tickets because sometimes I start a journey somewhere else and the TVM doesn't let me change the starting point, if it did let me change the starting point of my journey then I wouldn't bother with Trainline at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It gives me the ability to bulk buy all the tickets I need for the month, the TVM is no good to use to buy the tickets because sometimes I start a journey somewhere else and the TVM doesn't let me change the starting point, if it did let me change the starting point of my journey then I wouldn't bother with Trainline at all.

You can however do that with any TOC app without the fees.

Bungaroosh

Triumphed in the marketing war -- like VHS and the Rioja wine region.

I prefer to use a certain TOC website that has no booking fee and offers free 1st class postal delivery ... and cashback (although it has become rather ropey re. the latter).

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Maybe I am old fashioned but I have always booked my rail tickets on official TOC websites and conducted my Railcard business on the official Railcard website. [...]

Buying online is not old fashioned!

BrianW

Established Member
Attractive design. Easier than Notwork Rail. Of longer-standing than many TOCs. Better trusted than many a TOC which clearly are seen to have 'an interest' in pushing their own tickets, and as seen on printed timetables that exclude 'competitors'. Found this re Trainline history/ ownership: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trainline Interesting to see what GBR comes up with.

tbtc

Veteran Member
1. They are very good at what they do - rather than complaining about them, people should look at why other organisations haven't been able to emulate the success
2. TOC websites have generally only focussed on services that the TOC provides, so some ordinary members of the public will believe that you can only buy a Transpennine ticket on the TPE website and you can only buy Transpennine tickets on the TPE website, so there's been a gap in the market (can't blame The Trainline for this)
3. What's wrong with paying for a good service? We don't have threads berating people for buying Heinz beans in Waitrose when the same product is available in cheaper supermarkets

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
1. They are very good at what they do - rather than complaining about them, people should look at why other organisations haven't been able to emulate the success
Must admit when I occasionally get surveys from TOCs asking about their apps my response is always: "Go and study the Trainline app and then copy that as closely as you can without getting sued. You need do nothing else but that if you want a good app." :lol:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Must admit when I occasionally get surveys from TOCs asking about their apps my response is always: "Go and study the Trainline app and then copy that as closely as you can without getting sued. You need do nothing else but that if you want a good app." :lol:
Thing is, The Trainline already supply the app and website for a lot of TOCs. It's just that their white label product is inferior to their "main" website. I wonder why!

Lewlew

A lot of “normals” aren’t even aware that there are multiple train companies, they just get the train from A - B. They’ll just Google “Milton Keynes to London train” for example. Without having the foggiest that there are three train companies running services to London.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
User friendliness is one. If ever I want to check train times but not actually make a purchase I use the Trainline. Also if you're only an occasional rail traveller, you may not know the same ticket can sell for different prices depending where you purchase it.

When I do make a purchase it's usually from the TOC.

I agree - it's my go to journey planner for quick timetables. Won't touch the NRE app with a barge pole. I also check prices here quickly, then do a bit more detail when I've got some time on my desktop

johntea

Established Member
For me:

* Ability to use Apple Pay in the app
* Can add e-tickets to Apple Wallet directly from the app
* Can print an expense receipt directly from the app without having to go through the website

I have tried a number of other apps, but none I have found can do all of the above.

I think the LNER app can certainly do the first 2 items, there is a print itinerary option too although appreciate that is probably not quite the same as an expenses receipt (to be honest my workplace are happy enough with a screenshot of the journey and price sent to their electronic expenses system these days!)

It is certainly my app of choice at the moment anyway, even automatically adjusts your screen brightness when bringing up a eTicket to scan at the barriers which is handy!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If people do prefer the Trainline app (and I'd agree it is good) why not be willing to pay the fee for the better service? Not everything has to be free.

The one thing I find annoying is the ads. If I am paying a fee I don't want ads. (Yes I know, Sky TV :) )

WelshBluebird

Established Member
It is worth pointing out that for on the day purchasing of e-tickets, they don't charge a booking fee. That combined with the fact if you buy a digital railcard from them they have a nice button on your e-ticket to quickly show your railcard (much much easier than faffing around changing apps with a regular e-ticket and the normal railcard app) really has won be over for walk up e-tickets. For any advance tickets I'll still use other offerings but for walk up e-tickets I don't think they can be beaten tbh!

Status
Not open for further replies.