• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Pye Corner - Open for Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot119

Established Member
Firstly I'd like to say a thank you to starmill for highlighting the opening of the new station Pye Corner in another thread.

I woke up early 06:25 to be precise in order to be at Cardiff Central in time to make the 07:40 service to Ebbw Vale Parkway, I'd have to walk to Central, as neither of my local stations; Heath High/low Levels, or Cathays see a train early enough on a Sunday morning. A brisk walk across the city saw me queueing to purchase my tickets, the clerk looked a little surprised and noted I was the first one he'd sold a ticket to for Pye Corner.

Tickets for the first train by Karl [Headshot119], on Flickr

Normally the Ebbw Vale Parkway trains depart from platform 0, luckily I checked the departure boards before making my way there as it was actually going from 4A.

I made my way to the platform, to find 150235 + 150256 making up a four coach train ready for departure. I was surprised to find Pye Corner correctly shown on the screens, and being announced in both languages announcements.

The journey was fairly uneventful with it being dark outside, though we did travel on the relief lines instead of the mains.

The sun had risen slightly during the journey, and I was straight out the doors with camera in hand, I was the only passenger to leave the train (and definitely the first other than the guard to have my feet on the platform), though two ATW staff did get off as well.

150256 + 150235 2N05 by Karl [Headshot119], on Flickr

After the train set off on it's way, I had a look around the station, it's nice to see it's been built to handle long trains, with the car stop markers indicating it will take at least six, though I have a feeling it might be eight coaches long.

I spent some time taking some photos around the station, and had a chat with one of the ATW staff members about the TVM, interestingly it would only sell single tickets to stations in Cardiff priced at £2.05, I was confused over how my ticket cost £4.45 with a railcard, until she advised me the TVM had the wrong prices and she was about to put it out of service.

A camera crew from BBC Wales (I think might have been ITV) turned up shortly before the arrival of the Cardiff bound train, they interviewed a couple of people who all seemed really pleased at the stations opening.

People who had turned up where also treated to free tickets which where handed out by staff, a nice gesture for opening day I thought.

Pye Corner towards Park Junction by Karl [Headshot119], on Flickr

Station Name Board by Karl [Headshot119], on Flickr

Pye Corner towards Ebbw Vale Parkway by Karl [Headshot119], on Flickr

After an hour and a quarter 150235 + 150256 returned from up the line, forming the first Cardiff bound train to leave Pye Corner, I was surprised how well loaded it was for a Sunday morning.

150235 + 150256 2F06 by Karl [Headshot119], on Flickr

An uneventful trip back to Cardiff Central was had, before I boarded an Aberdare bound train to return to Cathays, an interesting trip using the new platform 5 at Cardiff Queen Street.

So there we have it, a little bit of history, I can say I was the first person to arrive at Pye Corner, something to tell the grand kids I suppose :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
So there we have it, a little bit of history, I can say I was the first person to arrive at Pye Corner, something to tell the grand kids I suppose :p

Unfortunately you weren't actually the first to *arrive*; the station was used as an emergency disembarking point late last Friday (12th) owing to a points failure at Park Junction and stranded trains north of there.

However, you can claim to be the first to arrive on a service train scheduled to stop there!

:D

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Very nice, Headshot, very nice indeed! :D I'm not that surprised that train was well loaded given how popular the Ebbw Valley line is by the numbers and my own observations, and also it being the first train of the day, it's obviously quite late.

Glad they are selling tickets... of some kind. Although yours even appears to be correct! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.