• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Queen Elizabeth’s funeral timetable plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

liamf656

EMR have some STP moves on Monday night from St Pancras to Derby at 01:15, 02:15, 03:15 and 04:15. They’re all set down only at intermediate stations

mangyiscute

Established Member
I am very confused by some of the late night GWR trains. On the morning of the 19th, there are understandably pick up only trains from Bristol to London. However, to get these trains from London to Bristol, they are running in service but only Didcot Parkway is a set down only station and all of the other stations such as Chippenham are non advertised, including Bristol, which is the destination - and the GWR planner says that the train is going to Bristol if you try to book a train from London to Didcot, but you cannot book a ticket from London to Bristol on this train. Even more confusing is the 04:18 from Paddington (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:V40629/2022-09-19/detailed), which has a set down only call at Didcot, non advertised calls at Swindon and Chippenham, but then a normal call at Bath Spa followed by a non advertised call at Bristol. Therefore, you could in theory get on board this train at Bath but there wouldn't be another station that a passenger is allowed to alight at on this service? Could someone clarify what is going on? I don't even understand why all of these services are running as passenger services to Didcot only, surely it would be better to just run ECS

Veteran Member
I am very confused by some of the late night GWR trains. On the morning of the 19th, there are understandably pick up only trains from Bristol to London. However, to get these trains from London to Bristol, they are running in service but only Didcot Parkway is a set down only station and all of the other stations such as Chippenham are non advertised, including Bristol, which is the destination - and the GWR planner says that the train is going to Bristol if you try to book a train from London to Didcot, but you cannot book a ticket from London to Bristol on this train. Even more confusing is the 04:18 from Paddington (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:V40629/2022-09-19/detailed), which has a set down only call at Didcot, non advertised calls at Swindon and Chippenham, but then a normal call at Bath Spa followed by a non advertised call at Bristol. Therefore, you could in theory get on board this train at Bath but there wouldn't be another station that a passenger is allowed to alight at on this service? Could someone clarify what is going on? I don't even understand why all of these services are running as passenger services to Didcot only, surely it would be better to just run ECS
I would guess that the Bath call on the 0418 is an error.
As for Didcot, it's of a piece with the extra services GW and EL are running to Reading. Presumably GW think people might be travelling home late, AND are confident that the train will run that way and not be diverted.

Vespa

Established Member
While I respect the Queen, indeed having met her once and Prince Philip twice, I'm not going to go to London and get squashed up with over priced hotels and all that hype.

Best of luck if you guys decide to travel on the train, pay for hotels who are clearly taking advantage of the occasion to raise the prices, 5x the usual in some cases.

I plan to drink in a pub and a raise a glass to her memory in Cornwall which is where I'm on a prebooked holiday before all this happened.

Ianigsy

One strange quirk of the modern age is that despite all shops being closed on 25 Dec, the afternoon and evening see a lot of online orders being placed. That must be great for Royal Mail who previously had a post-Christmas slump in demand.

Funerals are normally held on weekdays, weddings are usually held on Saturdays. I'm note sure if there's any religious reason for that. Or maybe it relates to workers associated with funerals usually working a 5 day Mon-Fri week?
As regards the Christmas phenomenon, I’d guess that‘s at least in part down to everybody who‘s been given Amazon gift cards and the like spending them once there’s a lull in the day. Some online retailers start their sales on the evening of the 24th.

I think the Christian churches tend to have a presumption against anything other than baptisms in the regular Sunday worship- it’s a time for coming together before God and a funeral would sit awkwardly with that. Not to mention that funeral directors and crematoria may not be willing or able to accommodate it. I did however have a Muslim friend who died during the first Covid lockdown and he was buried on a Saturday within a day of his death as per Islamic practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.