• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query : Caledonian Sleeper Edinburgh portion on NRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
I was looking at the National Rail Enquiries website regarding prices for the Caledonian Sleeper seating accomodation on various dates in late September and early October. Despite prices being quoted for all destinations on the Inverness and Aberdeen portions of the 21:15 departure from Euston, and for the Glasgow portion of the 23:50 from Euston, there were no prices shown for the Edinburgh portion on any of the dates I looked at (I checked about 10 dates between September 22nd and October 15th).

Any reason why there are no prices quoted for the Edinburgh service ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't know the answer, but NRE won't sell tickets anyway so it's probably best to go directly to a retailer who can.

I randomly chose 25 September and am quoted fares of £39 for a seat, £109.40 for a berth shared with a random stranger, £116 for a solo berth or £151.60 for a first class berth, all direct from the Caledonian Sleeper website.

Agent_c

I was looking at the National Rail Enquiries website regarding prices for the Caledonian Sleeper seating accomodation on various dates in late September and early October. Despite prices being quoted for all destinations on the Inverness and Aberdeen portions of the 21:15 departure from Euston, and for the Glasgow portion of the 23:50 from Euston, there were no prices shown for the Edinburgh portion on any of the dates I looked at (I checked about 10 dates between September 22nd and October 15th).

Any reason why there are no prices quoted for the Edinburgh service ?

The Ed portion might be full. Book to Glasgow and get the train over from Queen Street.

12CSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

However, is it plausible that the Edinburgh portion is fully booked every night in both directions for three weeks, almost three months in advance ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Given that I searched for 25 September, and was offered all options on that date, no it's not plausible.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This may be to do with the perennial problem of some booking systems unable to cope with trains that join/split en route.

I've had this on TP with a Glasgow/Edinburgh to Manchester service where I was reserved from Edinburgh to Carlisle (where the portions joined), then Carlisle to Preston (having to transfer to the Glasgow portion) even though my original seat was unreserved after Carlisle.

On the sleeper when travelling to Edinburgh my ticket was to Edinburgh but the reservation was only to Carstairs - the system expected me to alight there for a local train to Edinburgh. This was sorted out by the stewards at Euston.

I think if the headcode changes then some booking systems can not cope (although there is no hard & fast rule on this as I find the problem intermittent) at times. This can be a problem if there is not sufficient interchange time (which in reality you do not need) where the train splits for you to officially get into the correct portion or with regard to the sleeper as Carstairs is setdown only you will be advised to take a local train to complete your journey - this "enforced" change may even preclude certain advance fares being shown for your intended journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.