• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonschool

Hello train fanatics, I have a question since I'm not good with Google. I'm new to using trains and I was wondering how connections work. I'll give you an example.

Birmingham New Street [BHM] to Blackpool North [BPN] (2h 32m)
Blackpool North [BPN] to Birmingham New Street [BHM] (2h 25m)

There is a connection in the middle of both of these trains.

http://gyazo.com/677f231213a443060460d5bb632cd0cd
http://gyazo.com/289d2d9cc11ee8c26d5d69f11a87f120

I was wondering what the rules are if I miss my connection due to my train getting delayed or something along them lines. I really can't afford to pay for another train since I am a student. Also do the rules for the connections on this example also count for all other connections.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
The connection means that you change trains by getting off your train and onto another train to reach your destination in this case you are getting off the Blackpool North to Manchester Airport train at Preston onto the the Glasgow to London Euston train to continue your journey to Birmingham.

With your train being delayed and you missing your connection the short answer is yes you can get the next train if you miss your connection because of delays so if your train from Birmingham is delayed and you miss the Blackpool train at Preston you are permitted to catch the next train at Preston to Blackpool after that. If you have an advanced ticket though and you miss your train at Birmingham New Street to Preston most of the time you would not be permitted to catch the next train as its not the railway's fault you were delayed.

Sheepy1209

You'll be fine - there's a minimum 8 minute connection time at Preston, but of course if you miss the train back to Birmingham you'll have an hour's wait for the next one!

In general, if an online journey planner tells you it's valid then you're covered - if it's worrying you then take a printout to show staff on the train. If you have a reservation it will of course not be valid on a later train, but just sit in an unreserved seat.

On the journey from Preston to Blackpool there are several trains each hour so it's no big deal if you miss one, but just be careful that you don't catch a Blackpool SOUTH train, it's a long slow route to a completely different station.

If your return ticket allows it (e.g. it's an Anytime or Off Peak) then you can get an earlier train from Blackpool, I think that would be 17:03.

Changing trains at Preston is fairly easy but the footbridge at the north end of the station can get congested. Generally the subway (around the middle of the platforms) is quicker.

[edit] As thenorthern says, it's very important that you don't miss the first train of each journey, as that would be your fault. Even if the bus to the station is late, it's still your problem so leave plenty of time.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cheers for your replies. To thenorthern, the advanced tickets are around £15 cheaper so if I pick them and miss my train I can't get the next one?

Taking the Birmingham to Blackpool journey. If you miss your train at Birmingham your ticket is no longer valid and you'd need to buy a new one as it's your fault (it might not be but, for example, the fact that your bus was late isn't a valid reason for missing the train) that you missed it. If your train to Preston was late and you missed the train to Blackpool you'd be fine to travel on the next one as it isn't your fault the connection was missed.

The basic rule of advance tickets is that you have to travel on the booked trains (shown by the reservation coupons that will come with the ticket) otherwise you'll need to buy a new ticket.

Sheepy1209

That's correct - you need to plan to be at Birmingham New Street well before 09:15 to be sure of catching that train!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Any itinerary offered by a booking site (or National Rail Enquiries - which provides information but won't actually sell tickets) is a valid itinerary, and will take into account the minimum interchange times.

You must ensure you are at your origin in good time.

Providing you are, as you will be following a valid itinerary, a delay to any train will mean that you are of course permitted to take the next train (which may or may not normally be allowed) and most companies will additionally compensate you if you are delayed by 30 minutes or more into your final destination.

If you are not at the origin in good time, then you risk invalidating the entire journey!

Moonschool

I see, so I will still be able to get onto the next train which is due at the station if my train is delayed.

Cheers for all your replies, I think I no longer have to take the smelly coach.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I see, so I will still be able to get onto the next train which is due at the station if my train is delayed.

Cheers for all your replies, I think I no longer have to take the smelly coach.
Providing you're at the origin in good time, then you have complied with your part of the contract.

If any of the trains are delayed, you're then covered. I would always advise seeking staff for advice (show your tickets when doing so) if it is practicable to do so, if there are delays. Staff may advise you take an earlier train (to avoid a delay), but in any case the rail industry will get you to your destination, and you may be entitled to compensation too.

ASharpe

For further information see our Fares Guide:
In normal circumstances, Advance tickets are only valid on the booked train(s). However if delays occur while travelling, either
on the rail journey, or,
only in the case where the Advance ticket is a through ticket covering the entire journey, on a connecting journey by other means of public transport (e.g. Underground, bus or ferry),
you will be allowed to complete your journey on later trains.
However the train company or route restriction shown under Route on the ticket still applies, e.g. for a ticket routed TOC ONLY you must wait for the next train operated by the train company indicated, even if this increases the length of the delay further.

Another common question is:
I am combining tickets; am I covered in the event of a delay?
As long as you have allowed the minimum connection time at the station where you are combining tickets, then this is treated as a valid through journey and the same conditions apply as above, i.e. in the event of a delay you may take later trains in compliance with the route or train company restriction shown on your ticket.
For most journeys you can simply take the next train provided you get to your origin on time. However there are some restrictions what train companies trains you can use, these restrictions are often lifted when there is severe disruption to a route.

Moonschool

Is there a website which shows the minimum connection times? Just so I can double check my tickets before I book them in the future.

thenorthern

Established Member
Cheers for your replies. To thenorthern, the advanced tickets are around £15 cheaper so if I pick them and miss my train I can't get the next one?

http://gyazo.com/3f9d77eac8ee5facaccaf6f17162ba52

If you miss the train at Blackpool or Birmingham because of you being delayed at getting to the station then no you are not permitted to catch the next train so its a good idea to be early at both stations for both of your journeys. One thing to remember as well when you pick up your tickets is bring both the card that you booked them with and the reference number as its not uncommon for people to forget the reference number which means they can't pick up their tickets.

If you miss either of your connecting trains at Preston because of delayed trains then you are permitted to catch the next available train from Preston to your destination.

Have a great journey by the way and remember you will be given a seat reservation with your booking which will guarantee you a seat on the train for when you travel.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is there a website which shows the minimum connection times? Just so I can double check my tickets before I book them in the future.

If you use an online journey planner like National Rail Enquiries then you don't need to double check as they won't let you plan a journey that doesn't meet the minimum connection times.

But if you really want to check you can consult the Station Index of the electronic National Rail Timetable. Any station which doesn't have a number next to it has the standard connection time of five minutes any station which does has whatever that number says as it's minimum connection. For example Bedford has the number '7' next to it which means a seven minute minimum connection whilst Aberdeen has nothing which means a five minute connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.