• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about RS/RW and Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a DVD copy of Rail Simulator installed on my PC.

To upgrade to RailWorks, do I have to buy it or can I upgrade RS?

I'm new to all this Steam gubbins, so please don't shoot me if I've misunderstood this.

Thanks
Ryan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Hi Ryan

I don't think you can upgrade from RS to RW, though I'm prepared to be corrected

I'm on my iPod at the moment so I can't easily check at the moment

I have another question - if I buy and install a DVD copy of Railworks 2 (not TS2012) - will I need Steam to activate the game thus updating it to TS2012 which my pc will not run very well if at all ....

Thanks sellis89 for the help so far, much appreciated.

Darandio

Established Member
I have another question - if I buy and install a DVD copy of Railworks 2 (not TS2012) - will I need Steam to activate the game thus updating it to TS2012 which my pc will not run very well if at all ....

Thanks sellis89 for the help so far, much appreciated.

Yes, this would be unavoidable.

In terms of upgrading from RS to RW, yes, you could have done it when RW came out by sending in your disc or manual and getting a half price discount, but that is irrelevant now.

Thanks Darren - so there's no way I can install RailWorks without it updating to TS2012 which I don't want?

That doesn't seem right to me ....

Oh well, if that is the case then I'll stick with Rail Simulator ...

Thanks.

Darandio

Established Member
Thanks Darren - so there's no way I can install RailWorks without it updating to TS2012 which I don't want?

That doesn't seem right to me ....

In order to install Railworks, you need the Steam account. Logging into and installing Railworks will initiate the TS2012 download automatically.

However, what are your system specs? The only reason I ask is that if you can run Rail Simulator reasonably well, then Railworks would have essentially ran ok too. Although there have been teething problems with the TS2012 release and especially the optimization of the RW2 legacy mode, steps are being made to address it and patches are being release daily, with some users who could not use TS2012 at all now starting to be able to run it, albeit in an advanced RW2 mode.

So essentially, if your system can run Rail Simulator very well, then hypothetically it can run TS2012 in at least RW2 legacy mode. Which is actually an improvement in itself with various new features anyway.

My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4ghz)
2gb DDR2 Ram
ATi X1600SE (256mb onboard, 256mb shared RAM)
22" Samsung monitor (1680x1050, I run RS at 1280x800)

I get 30fps with reasonably low and fine tweaked settings.

The only reason why I think TS2012 won't run as well is the increased system requirements - unless the ones I have seen are the recommended ones ....

Crossover

Established Member
My system specs are as follows:

Intel Core2Duo E6600 (2 x 2.4ghz)
2gb DDR2 Ram
ATi X1600SE (256mb onboard, 256mb shared RAM)
22" Samsung monitor (1680x1050, I run RS at 1280x800)

I get 30fps with reasonably low and fine tweaked settings.

The only reason why I think TS2012 won't run as well is the increased system requirements - unless the ones I have seen are the recommended ones ....

Should be fine to be honest.

I am running TS2012 (in legacy mode - I was one of the people that Darandio makes reference to as I initially couldn't play at all, but it has now been patched and I'm running it as before now pretty much) on a laptop with the following specs:

2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2 x 2 GHz)
2GB RAM
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (up to 224MB shared RAM)
15.6" screen running 1680x1050

Usually run the game at 1280 x 1024

I do have to have things turned down pretty low and I don't the sort of frame rates you get in RS. Some of the add-ons are a bit hungry as well.

I do want to upgrade to a proper PC that can support it properly at some time in the future, but for now it does OK (and has done for 18 months :))

HTH

Ahhh - thanks for your useful post sellis89 - I should get roughly the same fps if I tweak it and turn off TSX etc.

I have another question - if I were to purchase RailWorks 2 (DVD) and install and register to Steam would it upgrade to TS2012 or would I have to pay out £26 for the upgrade on top of RW2?

Thanks.

Crossover

Established Member
Ahhh - thanks for your useful post sellis89 - I should get roughly the same fps if I tweak it and turn off TSX etc.

I have another question - if I were to purchase RailWorks 2 (DVD) and install and register to Steam would it upgrade to TS2012 or would I have to pay out £26 for the upgrade on top of RW2?

Thanks.

You may have to opt for lower graphics settings to get it to run as efficiently but you look to be of a better spec than mine so overall I think you will be OK :)

As for the last question, I believe not. If you buy RW2 then you should get upgraded to TS2012 automatically.

There again, on Amazon, there is only £3 in it (linky) and RW3 includes the new Horseshoe Curve DLC as well. I also wouldn't worry too much about the single negative review of the product on Amazon - I think they've just had a bad experience

lewisandbutch

could some one post some links so i can download some uk tank engines and an 08 class
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i have donloaded a stream lined A3 pacific the city of london but i cant get it to work could some one help me

Status
Not open for further replies.