• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question - lack of passenger brake ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I have been thinking of a situation I encountered in about the 1980s. I was at Leeds when a Liverpool - York or Newcastle service arrived consisting only of 5 x SO (Mark 2 non-aircon), i.e. - with no brakevan. It continued - with passengers - towards York. Presumably a defective coach had been detached before it reached Leeds.

But what do the rules say about passenger trains without a brake van, please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The message was that such trains could continue in service , provided that the scotches* and emergency equipment needed were available in the area close to where the guard was riding. Out of service obviously in the most convenient location.

(*wooden chocks for securing vehicles if required)

Cannot remember now whether it was in the 1972 red cover rulebook , or more likely in the General Appendix to the rule book.

Falcon1200

Established Member
The message was that such trains could continue in service , provided that the scotches* and emergency equipment needed were available in the area close to where the guard was riding.

Agree, and therefore a train could not start in service without a brake vehicle; Which is why there was a BCK (brake composite corridor coach) kept at Carstairs, because in the days when trains spilt for Glasgow and Edinburgh, the Edinburgh portion was a separate, new train.

Status
Not open for further replies.