• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question regarding registered Oyster Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Bahnfreund

Hi, just a small question: a friend of mine is travelling to London soon and I want to give them the two oyster cards I have (we don't live in the UK). Both are registered to my TfL account I registered a few years ago and thus to my name and address. Can they use my Oyster Cards even though they're tied to my name? Are there any repercussions if doing so? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
As long as there’s no railcard discount on the Oyster card then it’s fine for someone else to use it.

Unless there’s credit on the Oyster cards that needs using your friend might as well use contactless, which saves the faff of having to top-up.

mangyiscute

Established Member
As long as there’s no railcard discount on the Oyster card then it’s fine for someone else to use it.

Unless there’s credit on the Oyster cards that needs using your friend might as well use contactless, which saves the faff of having to top-up.
I guess also their contactless cards may charge a foreign currency fee, which can be avoided by using oyster and having op top up the oyster cards with a UK card

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I guess also their contactless cards may charge a foreign currency fee, which can be avoided by using oyster and having op top up the oyster cards with a UK card
There will still be a need for the OP’s friend to convert currency to pay the OP back, unless the OP is making a gift.

Haywain

Veteran Member
There will still be a need for the OP’s friend to convert currency to pay the OP back, unless the OP is making a gift.
That may not be the case as the OP does not live on the UK.

U-Bahnfreund

Hi all, thanks for your replies :)

I think only one of them has a credit card with good payment terms for UK, so they didn't wanna use contactless but Oyster instead. And I happen to have some

Wolfie

Established Member
Oyster cards used solely for pay as you go and with no railcard discounts added can be transferred.

"If you only have pay as you go credit on your Oyster card, you can lend it to someone else."

Status
Not open for further replies.