• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Atlas - Baker or Platform 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
As above really, I am looking to deepen my understanding of the routes I take, and am looking for a readable atlas to dip into to accompany any journey. I travel mainly in the South East, Anglia and London but throughout England, and as I am about to take the Caledonian Sleeper I am interested in a GB atlas.

The options are:

- Platform 5 TRACKatlas of Mainland Britain. 3rd edition (2017) is pricey but the 2nd edition (2012) is available cheaply second hand on Ebay. I'm not too bothered about missing out on odd new alignments and a 2017 edition still may not include, e.g. Crossrail anyway.

- Baker's Rail Atlas Of Great Britain And Ireland appears to be the established go-to standard and the 15th edition (2020) promises to be most up to date and also a little cheaper at a little over £14.

Coverage of the TfL network would be preferable, I am also looking for a mix of scales (e.g. West Highland line at a glance as well as in detail), use of colour and readability/clear layout. Portability may be a bit of a stretch here, but if one is noticably heavier than the other it would be good to know!

Would be interested to know the Forum's views.

Many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Sounds like Baker then, on balance! Maybe I'll graduate to the P5 when I retire and have a lot more time for the minutiae! :lol:

Thank you all

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
My full collection of the S K Baker "Rail Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland" came to an abrupt end at the 15th edition and his demise meant no more generalised information. There are a number of new station openings in the next few years and can anyone advise on which is the most updated alternative one to use at present

Kite159

Veteran Member
My full collection of the S K Baker "Rail Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland" came to an abrupt end at the 15th edition and his demise meant no more generalised information. There are a number of new station openings in the next few years and can anyone advise on which is the most updated alternative one to use at present
I wouldn't be surprised if his Rail Atlas didn't continue in some form, edited by someone else but keeping the same simple layout

PeterY

Established Member
I love the Baker rail Atlas's and I hope they continue to be updated. I do have a 1st edition and it was quite hard to get hold of a copy.

My 14th edition is a bit battered :D but it's the one I carry with me and "colour in" on lines I've ridden over. :D

Bevan Price

Established Member
If you are concerned about weight, Railway Track Diagrams, formerly by Quail, but now published by Track Maps may be of interest. Published in five regional books, each about the size of a typical magazine; the total cost is more than something liker Baker, but you only need to buy / carry one or two volumes of interest for where you are travelling.
Details here (for Scotland edition; site has links to the other editions):

Status
Not open for further replies.