• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Atlas vs Track Atlas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have neither of these but was waiting to get the rail atlas as it had been recommended to me. However as it has been delayed again I was considering getting the Track atlas instead. Can anyone give me any guidance?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Apologies for the poor photo quality, having trouble getting my tablet's camera to focus properly, but it should show the comparison between Baker's rail atlas (top) and Platform 5's track atlas (bottom), both showing the area west of Reading.
20200501_125706.jpg.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Track Atlas is far superior to Baker’s. One of the things I always struggled with with the latter is the lack of overlap between pages.

swanhill41

Track Atlas is far superior to Baker’s. One of the things I always struggled with with the latter is the lack of overlap between pages.
Frankly there is no comparison...Track Atlas is the new style,full of info,the old Ian Allan is pre 2000 and very basic...That's my opinion

Mollman

Established Member
It depends what you want it for. TrackAtlas is best if you want to know about track layouts, but Rail Atlas is fine if you just want an overview - it actually has a better coverage of depots, freight facilities and sidings in my opinion.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I'm sure the 2015 Baker's Atlas now includes overlaps. I use a combination of Bakers plus Quail Maps for track layout detail. Track Atlas is too much a muddle between the two in my eyes.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Track Atlas doesn't seem to know what it is. Does it show all lines, or just routes? It appears to be something in between, a half effort between Baker and Quail (TrackMaps) - if you want full detail, it doesn't have it, but if you want a route atlas, it is too detailed. Personally, I have the Baker for general stuff, and the TrackMaps for detail - but wouldn't touch the Track Atlas.

And yes, despite some people's suggestions, Baker does (or did in the most recent, 2015, edition) have overlaps. I'm not holding my breath for the new edition appearing at the end of the month though - it's continuously been put back for almost two years now.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Track Atlas doesn't seem to know what it is. Does it show all lines, or just routes? It appears to be something in between, a half effort between Baker and Quail (TrackMaps) - if you want full detail, it doesn't have it, but if you want a route atlas, it is too detailed. Personally, I have the Baker for general stuff, and the TrackMaps for detail - but wouldn't touch the Track Atlas.
Have back editions of all three publications and TheBlackwatch's summary (above) is more-or-less spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.