• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Forums Reading Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

g.satchwell

Sorry I should have said I really enjoyed it - and have just downloaded the Great Train Robbery one too.

Hi Telstar, thank you for letting me know. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you too for buying GTR Confidential. This week my latest book is released, 'Rot At There Core.' The reviews have been excellent. Best wishes.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I've decided to start this thread since I've been reading a lot lately. If you've read a book, manga, graphic novel etc., then leave a review or recommendation here.

I'll kick us off with a webcomic I've been reading called Castle Swimmer. It's about a bunch of races of sea creatures who have different prophecies involving one of the main character, The Beacon (a Mer called Kappa), who winds up coming across a Shark colony who's prophecy has their Prince (called Siren) having to kill The Beacon and things kind of just go from there (won't reveal too much, spoilers and all).

You can read it here

Peter C

Established Member
I've been reading very few non-railway books recently. However, I do really like Let's Do It: The Authorised Biography of Victoria Wood by Jasper Rees. I think I mentioned it in another thread, but it is really good, especially for fans of her work. It's quite long, so I haven't got much of the way through it yet, but what I have read is very interesting.
I can't really think of any others. The webcomic you talk about @LOL The Irony sounds intersting - might have a look into that.

-Peter

Darandio

Established Member
Very much railway related but i'd recommend any of the Jim Stringer 'Steam Detective' series from Andrew Martin. In particular 'The Necropolis Railway'.

Calthrop

Established Member
Time and time again by Ben Elton

Would second this recommendation: have found all of the half-dozen or so novels by Ben Elton which I've read, un-put-downable. Time and Time Again, more than most -- notwithstanding its decidedly depressing premise: viz. that travel-back-in-time endeavours to head off the horrors of World War I and those which followed therefrom, by preventing the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, and then going on to kill Kaiser Wilhelm II; invariably have outcomes worse -- sometimes quite hideously worse -- than what in fact did happen in "our, real, time-line".

davetheguard

Established Member
Very much railway related but i'd recommend any of the Jim Stringer 'Steam Detective' series from Andrew Martin. In particular 'The Necropolis Railway'.

If you enjoyed that I'd recommend the series of books by Stephen Done published by the Hastings Press- mainly set on the Great Central in the 1940s & 1950s. Inspector Vignoles is the main character.

"The Murder of Crows" set in the Big Freeze of 1947 is one of my favourites. "New Brighton Rock" is set on the Liverpool Overhead Railway, & "Murder in Broadway" is set in Cheltenham, London, & of course, Broadway. Well worth a try. The author manages to create a great feeling of time and place.

Darandio

Established Member
If you enjoyed that I'd recommend the series of books by Stephen Done published by the Hastings Press- mainly set on the Great Central in the 1940s & 1950s. Inspector Vignoles is the main character.

"The Murder of Crows" set in the Big Freeze of 1947 is one of my favourites. "New Brighton Rock" is set on the Liverpool Overhead Railway, & "Murder in Broadway" is set in Cheltenham, London, & of course, Broadway. Well worth a try. The author manages to create a great feeling of time and place.

I'll check those out, thanks!

TheBigD

Established Member
Just finished Andy Ngo's excellent Unmasked. An eye opening insight in to antifa and far left extremism/violence.
Just started Jordan Peterson's Beyond Order.

Tracked

Established Member
Substance,the New Order story by Peter Hook.
That's good, the ones he did on Joy Division and The Hacienda are worth a look too.

in a similar vein; The Big Midweek, by Stephen Hanley (The Fall), is an entertaining read even for people who aren't/weren't fans of The Fall.

I'd started on Cowboys and Indies: An Epic History of the Record Industry, by Gareth Murphy, just as Lockdown 3 (or 6) was being lifted, it's alright but I'm still to get around to finishing it (it was a lot easier to sit in the garden and read something from cover to cover this time last year) :oops:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
That's good, the ones he did on Joy Division and The Hacienda are worth a look too.
I've got Hookeys three books plus Bernard's. I totally recommend Steve Morris's two books Confessions of a Post Punk Percussionist. These are more down to earth than Peters and Bernard's.

Iskra

Established Member
I’ve just started reading

The Most Valuable Asset of the Reich: A History of the German National Railway Volume 2, 1933-1945​

Should be an interesting one!

Calthrop

Established Member
I have rather recently discovered the "Yorkshire Shepherdess" books by Amanda Owen. I suspect that this lady and her doings will have been known to many participants here, for longer than to me -- she having been, I gather, a considerable television personality for a fair number of years; it's just that I'm a weirdo who scarcely sees anything on television. No need, I feel, for detailed descriptions -- she of course runs, with her husband and large family, a sheep farm (with other domestic species playing a minor role) in beautiful and very remote Pennine moorland surroundings in the far north-western corner of Yorkshire. She has in my view, a fine and adept touch for writing about the place and their life and work there: sometimes lyrical, often down-to-earth and wryly and nicely self-deprecatingly funny. One is liable to feel: a terrific life -- but involving work harder, more arduous and more unrelieved, than would in reality suit most of us. Three books by her, read by me -- The Yorkshire Shepherdess, A Year in the Life of ... , and Adventures of ... . I understand that there is a new one out, Tales From the Farm, which I plan to seek for.

An unusual feature in these times, is the author and her husband's having produced nine children -- not a thing enjoined on them by any religious or political agenda: it was just that she found somewhat to her surprise, that she liked -- in the situation in which her life had been cast -- having lots of kids; husband seemingly happy with the deal. While personally being inclined -- in the context of a world population of 7 / 8 billion, still rather rapidly growing -- to raise eyebrows here; I appreciate that "not everything is about one single thing".

An amusing element of one of the books for me, involved discovering that Amanda is not a fan of the Esk Valley rail line. She amusingly recounts what she characterises as a potentially bright idea of her husband's, which misfired; he having seen an ad in the local paper for a day trip by rail to Whitby -- envisaged as potentially a day's change-of-scene and fun for the family. Initially, an hour's drive through rugged country necessary, to reach Bishop Auckland for the stipulated 8 a.m. rail departure (with it thus being necessary for getting-up even earlier than usual, to do the daily livestock-keeping tasks before setting out). Then the disconcerting discovery that -- not made clear (possibly deliberately) by the ad -- "the train stopped at every station along the way. It even went back down a branch line at one stage to pick up more passengers, making it a three-hour journey." (An interesting not-quite-accurate "take", by a non-railway-enthusiast: on the Battersby straightforward-reversal set-up, bequeathed by the railway topography of distant times.)

She continues: "The train got more and more crowded, the kids [used to ranging free in unlimited outdoor space, unfamiliar with at-length cooped-up congested conditions] got more and more bored... At last, at noon, we arrived in Whitby. It was cold, and it was raining, and we only had a few hours there because we had to be back on the train at 3 p.m. for the nightmarish journey home. What a disaster. We couldn't see the place through the rain, we were all miserable. All in all we spent two hours in the car, six hours on the train, and three hours there, eating fish and chips behind a windbreak. It was a memorable day at the seaside for all the wrong reasons."

Even a fanatical devotee of our hobby -- if able to put themself in the shoes of a person who does not find particular delight in its own right, in travelling on scenic rural branch lines (and is to boot, the harassed parent of a large family) -- has to admit that with the above tale of woe: the author has a point !

Dr Hoo

Established Member

I would certainly second the recommendation of Stephen Done, although his 'atmospherics' can be a bit wordy, if still vivid. Each book has its own 'feel', which keeps the reader on their toes although I wouldn't say that the series is all equally good.

Streets ahead of Darandio's Andrew Martin/Jim Stringer recommendation. I've read all of the books in that series and it is another case of there being an interesting variety of settings. But the prose really plods at times and the strange obsession with first-person narrative really inhibits plot development

Calthrop

Established Member
I would certainly second the recommendation of Stephen Done, although his 'atmospherics' can be a bit wordy, if still vivid. Each book has its own 'feel', which keeps the reader on their toes although I wouldn't say that the series is all equally good.

Streets ahead of Darandio's Andrew Martin/Jim Stringer recommendation. I've read all of the books in that series and it is another case of there being an interesting variety of settings. But the prose really plods at times and the strange obsession with first-person narrative really inhibits plot development

I'm hard to please; greatly enjoy detective novels by a fairly small number of authors known to me -- the majority, though, leave me cold (and I tend not to find " 'tec novels" with a railway theme to have for that reason, any especial attraction for me). I'd be hard put to it to explain why my pro- or anti-, verdicts in these matters, are as they are. Have read a couple of Martin's "Jim Stringer" mysteries; to be honest, old Jim bores me to tears -- would have problems in coming up with any coherent reason; he just does ! (Not because of the first-person element: that is a characteristic of some of the mysteries which I do like -- Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series, for instance -- if ably handled, no problem for me.)

Another author -- with a confusingly similar name, viz. Edward Marston -- has written a large number of railway-centred mysteries set in the days of steam (with some of them anyway, very early in those days). Marston has to be one of the most prolific authors I've ever encountered: has written and published literally scores upon scores of -- overwhelmingly anyway, detective / murder -- novels, set in a wide variety of milieux through history. I've read a few of his non-railway ones; found them OK and mildly entertaining, but nothing stellar. I think I've read a couple in his railway-set series; but if so, long ago -- I now recall nothing whatsoever about them ! The "Sturgeon's Law" (90% of anything will be ****) thing, tends to make me chary of Edward Marston -- a sense that producing novels in an unceasing Niagara-like torrent as he does, makes it certain that a fair proportion of them will have to be garbage. Perhaps I do the guy wrong, in this...

S&CLER

I'm hard to please; greatly enjoy detective novels by a fairly small number of authors known to me -- the majority, though, leave me cold (and I tend not to find " 'tec novels" with a railway theme to have for that reason, any especial attraction for me). I'd be hard put to it to explain why my pro- or anti-, verdicts in these matters, are as they are. Have read a couple of Martin's "Jim Stringer" mysteries; to be honest, old Jim bores me to tears -- would have problems in coming up with any coherent reason; he just does ! (Not because of the first-person element: that is a characteristic of some of the mysteries which I do like -- Sara Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series, for instance -- if ably handled, no problem for me.)

Another author -- with a confusingly similar name, viz. Edward Marston -- has written a large number of railway-centred mysteries set in the days of steam (with some of them anyway, very early in those days). Marston has to be one of the most prolific authors I've ever encountered: has written and published literally scores upon scores of -- overwhelmingly anyway, detective / murder -- novels, set in a wide variety of milieux through history. I've read a few of his non-railway ones; found them OK and mildly entertaining, but nothing stellar. I think I've read a couple in his railway-set series; but if so, long ago -- I now recall nothing whatsoever about them ! The "Sturgeon's Law" (90% of anything will be ****) thing, tends to make me chary of Edward Marston -- a sense that producing novels in an unceasing Niagara-like torrent as he does, makes it certain that a fair proportion of them will have to be garbage. Perhaps I do the guy wrong, in this...
Have you ever read any of the old (1920s vintage) detective novels by Freeman Wills Croft? He had been an employee of the B&CDR (Belfast and County Down) before he turned to writing, so the railway details are always accurate. They are not hard to find, as they cumber the shelves of many a second-hand bookshop.

If I want a vintage atmosphere, I usually prefer to read something written in the period, hence my delight in the "sensation" novelists of the 1860s (Wilkie Collins, Mrs H. Wood, Miss Braddon, Sheridan Le Fanu etc.). They are tosh but it's my kinda tosh with such characteristic scenes as the Run on the Bank, the Reading of the Will, the Rightful Heir etc. Tolstoy liked them too, which is some recommendation.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Well, at least it made it easy to find virtually all of the 'railway stories' in any bookshop!

Seriously though, Marston is indeed a prolific author but I find him very much a 'page-turner', with much less flowery language and dialogue, albeit a slight obsession with using a few obscure antiquated words from the mid-19th century just to 'hold' the period. His Railway Detective stories follow a very similar pattern, based on finding witnesses and getting into the mind of the perpetrator (what would they have done next?; who would they have had to visit?; etc.). The narratives of the occasional 'heroics' (punch-ups, arrests and so on) seem to get very repetitive.

Gloster

Established Member
I have just read the most recent of Edward Marston’s Railway Detective books to come out in paperback (actually, it may not officially be out for a few more days) and find that the series is becoming a bit repetitive; he also seems to keep some vital detail back until the story is well on. The background is railways, but the amount of railway detail is limited. I believe that his father was a driver in Cardiff.

I am a great admirer of Freeman Wills Crofts: his style may be straightforward, but the plotting is excellent. The best of them, in fact most of them, are first class Whodunnits, with all the information the reader requires to work out who the culprit is carefully dropped in in good time. Only a couple of the books are mainly set on the railway (Death on the Way, Death of a Train, neither among his best), but a there are a number where the railway, including its timetables, is of importance.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
I have just read the most recent of Edward Marston’s Railway Detective books to come out in paperback (actually, it may not officially be out for a few more days) and find that the series is becoming a bit repetitive; he also seems to keep some vital detail back until the story is well on. The background is railways, but the amount of railway detail is limited. I believe that his father was a driver in Cardiff.
I read a couple of his books in that series a few years ago - I might have a read of them again now you've reminded me of them! Having done a bit of reading online, Wikipedia says the books are written by a Keith Miles, under the pseudonym of Edward Marston: every day's a school day!

-Peter

Strathclyder

Established Member
Recently finished The Clayton Type 1 Bo-Bo Diesel-Electric Locomotives - British Railways Class 17: Development, Design and Demise by Anthony P. Sayer. While likely a bit too detail-heavy for some, I personally found it engrossing and difficult to put down. A perfect companion to the same author's eariler books on the Class 21s/29s (NBL Type 2s) & 28s (Metro-Vick Type 2s).

Calthrop

Established Member
Have you ever read any of the old (1920s vintage) detective novels by Freeman Wills Croft? He had been an employee of the B&CDR (Belfast and County Down) before he turned to writing, so the railway details are always accurate. They are not hard to find, as they cumber the shelves of many a second-hand bookshop.

If I want a vintage atmosphere, I usually prefer to read something written in the period, hence my delight in the "sensation" novelists of the 1860s (Wilkie Collins, Mrs H. Wood, Miss Braddon, Sheridan Le Fanu etc.). They are tosh but it's my kinda tosh with such characteristic scenes as the Run on the Bank, the Reading of the Will, the Rightful Heir etc. Tolstoy liked them too, which is some recommendation.

I'm sure that I have read -- at any rate, I started it, and have no active memory of hating it and thus abandoning it ! -- one " 'tec" by Freeman Wills Croft. I was at any rate aware that the author's "day job" was senior railway official in Northern Ireland, long ago -- there just cannot have been more than one person in that general era, who combined those two things !

This was many years ago, and I have little memory of the book -- often "the story of my life", in the reading line ! I do recall that it was set in the middle years of World War II: the central characters were a main-line loco driver and fireman, I think in Great Britain not Ireland. I remember its being told, of the driver's feeling highly pee'd-off -- indeed distressed -- that the hardships and necessities of total war, were meaning that railway stock -- locomotives especially -- could no longer be kept outwardly clean and smart: everything dismally mucky and grimy. I seem to recall that he harboured greater anger at Hitler and the Nazis over this circumstance; than for any of their generally more-focused-on misdemeanours. Nothing like having one's priorities right ! -- and I feel thus, in only a semi-sarcastic way.

With your mid-19th-century purveyors of enjoyable tosh -- keeping the Northern Ireland connection as it were: have you ever tried Amanda McKittrick Ros? I've never read anything by her; she's on my radar at all, largely because her husband was the stationmaster at Larne Harbour. I sometimes feel curious about her works; because of impression got, of her having been a sort of prose equivalent of William McGonagall -- her stuff so supremely awful: ineptly written, and "ultra-purple" over-writing and frantic melodrama; that there came to be a sort of cult around AMcKR -- the "so bad that it's sort-of almost good" syndrome.

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
I’ve just started reading

The Most Valuable Asset of the Reich: A History of the German National Railway Volume 2, 1933-1945​

Should be an interesting one!

Got it for Xmas (both volumes) some years ago.

Tad tedious - with a lot of statistical data and not much on practical stuff. Buried in the book stack says it all really.

Calthrop

Established Member
Don't know about a recommendation as such; but, has been affording some interest to me. Book by Pierre Clostermann (1921 -- 2006): seemingly a most admirable guy -- French citizen, got to Britain in World War II and served as an airman (pilot) on the Allied side; was subsequently an engineer, member of the French Parliament, and occasional author. This book by him, The Big Show -- published 1951, his reminiscences of his WWII service with the RAF. One salutes the heroism of anyone "in that line of business" in that war (plus, this chap IMO "fighting for the right") : the book imparts the expected mixture of fear, exhilaration, and the ever-present awareness that he and his comrades were more likely to die in the course of what they were doing, than not. I encountered in it, a great deal of at-the-time "aircraft-and-flying technical stuff" -- for me, a very non-technical type, skipping-over-fodder -- nonetheless overall, an interesting and moving work.

Going on to tongue-in-cheek railway enthusiast's perversity and wrong priorities :E -- some distressing aspects of this gentleman's book: recounting doings shortly before D-Day; he tells of air operations aimed at as far as possible, disabling enemy counter-attacks to the landings -- "a general offensive was laid on against railway locomotives in the whole of northern France and Belgium... in the 'Nord' French railway system alone, 67 locomotives were destroyed and 91 seriously damaged". With one's head, one sees "regrettable necessity"; with one's gut, one tends to feel, "oh, dear...". Author goes on to tell of how from 19/5 to 1/6/1944, there were 3,400 fighter sorties against locomotives in France, Belgium, Holland, and Germany: 257 were destroyed and 183 seriously damaged" -- which he goes on to refer to as "these unimpressive results". The vandal is dissatisfied with this level of carnage, and wishes for more to have been wrought :s? Reading of these things; and thinking of the film The Train, and the railway-afflicting havoc therein: one is not surprised at the statistic that as at the WWII liberation of more or less all of France, only one in ten of SNCF's locomotive fleet was still in operational condition -- or at the extreme need for lots of 141Rs to be supplied from North America ASAP.

Toward the end of the book, there is a short chapter titled Train Busting: it's early 1945, author is stationed in the south Netherlands and flying missions into Germany. Tells of himself and several accompanying aircraft, shooting-up a -- seemingly random -- German train. Locomotive wrecked; a certain amount of pity implied, for the attempting-to-escape loco crew and passengers. One of the accompanying planes is "downed" by anti-aircraft fire. Author casually mentions, "On the way home we attacked three more trains" -- doesn't go into, with how much success. My feelings here -- Germany was the enemy, and the Germans were anyhow spookily accomplished at making good, damage sustained: all the same, one suspects that duties such as this, would be hated by a pilot who also happened to be a railway enthusiast.

S&CLER

Last week I bought Dave Richardson's recently published book Kendal Tommy, the history of the Arnside-Hincaster branch of the Furness Railway. I've now read it and can recommend it, especially if you are familiar with the area. It is one of the Cumbrian Railways Association series and well up to their usual high standard of research and illustration (one tiny quibble: a plan of the changes to the road layout at Arnside station in 1872 on page 24 has South at the top, which is very slightly disorienting). I found that it explained several things which I'd noticed while walking in the area, without knowing the background. It's inspired me to walk the route this Saturday, unfortunately not all the old formation is accessible.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Thread reopened for @LOL The Irony to make an update. :)
Thanks Cowley.

So I have recently gotten back into reading stuff on webtoons again. The comics I have been binging recently are;

Swimming Lessons for a Mermaid by YONGCHAN, about a Mermaid who can't swim. It's quite your typical slice of life romance story with a love triangle and some shippers on deck. Like what I've seen so far, so can't really fault it, 7/10.

Like You Maybe by llastwill, about a delinquent meeting a happy go lucky classmate. This story follows a guy who winds up in trouble through no fault of his own most the time. His fortunes change when the top student in his class starts being friendly with him and helps him out with his work. It reads very much like I Cannot Reach You (considering they're both in the boy's love* genre, I think it's kind of the point) but I believe their relationship will go somewhere fairly soon.

CRUSH3D!! by YAA Comics, about high school ice hockey in a boarding school in a fictional country that's a cross between Canada and Germany. It follows the 3 main characters of the hot headed Crush, the lanky 6'7 (no, really, 6 feet 7 inches) Scott and the team captain Rueben. Crush (real name Carter) is a promiscuous 18 year old first year who, via some issues and lack of self discipline (the story starts with him laying beaten up in a park), has found himself going backwards and enrolls in Renhain Academy to turn his fortunes around. Scott is the stammering 16 year old first year ginger leviathan, standing at an impressive 6 feet 7 inches, making it kind of hard to fit into anything and the cause of some bullying over the years. He has an overprotective mother which has led him to being socially awkward, not helped by being a celibate. Despite being religious, it's heavily hinted at him being "sinful". Last up is the straight talking 17 year old second year and captain of the hockey team, Rueben. He's rather pragmatic and speaks from experience. He is however, at odds with some of his teammates over his captaincy. Overall, the story is well written and the characters well fleshed out, but for something set in 2010, it feels a lot more like it's set and written for today (which it was). I will watch it's career with great interest.
(The original series, should you so wish to read, is available via the creator's patreon page)

I get they won't appeal to most but they're my guilty pleasure (especially the latter 2 :E).

(*Boy's love - A genre originating from Japan, aimed at maturing teenage girls)

Status
Not open for further replies.