• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail journey GPS log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuartmoss

Just ordered one off of Amazon, I got the slightly upgraded model that holds more points. Thanks so much for introducing me to this, can't wait to see the results.

TGV

One more question - can it pick up the GPS in the cabin of a 390? It does get a bit tiring standing up in the vestibules for 2½ hour runs...

I've not tried it but I'd eat my shoes if it didn't. The reason I'm confident is that my GPSport 245 locked on to a Satellite signal inside a class 444 while it was sitting in Waterloo station UNDERNEATH THE STATION ROOF!!!

So yeah, I'd say it'll pick up a signal pretty much on any train apart from on the tube ;)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks TGV; my local Maplin has the 245 at £49.99 which I have reserved for a few days ( they tell me it's discontinued; they have two in stock and will not be replacing them once sold ) pending your answer to my question.

Methinks I'll definitely get it now you've said it should.

Should say, though, that I have locked onto GPS with the Garmin Foretrex 101 under the roof at Waterloo from inside a 455, but as I said I can't get any signal on any Desiros. So... the 245 is looking very good.

I don't suppose you've tried it out on the Voyager family yet?

Last edited:

TGV

Thanks TGV; my local Maplin has the 245 at £49.99 which I have reserved for a few days ( they tell me it's discontinued; they have two in stock and will not be replacing them once sold ) pending your answer to my question.

Methinks I'll definitely get it now you've said it should.

Should say, though, that I have locked onto GPS with the Garmin Foretrex 101 under the roof at Waterloo from inside a 455, but as I said I can't get any signal on any Desiros. So... the 245 is looking very good.

I don't suppose you've tried it out on the Voyager family yet?

I haven't but since you ask, I am taking a trip on one next tuesday - I will take it along and let you know. The only weakness of the 245 is that the software isn't as good as the I got u "@ trip PC" bundle. The latter lets you edit the trips more easily and even remove single logging points that have shown an error - sometimes if it logs a point just after going into a tunnel, the speed will be rubbish. For example on one trip the train was cruising at about 90mph and the thing logged a point just after entering a tunnel and the speed, according to the graph dropped from 90mph, to 34 mph then back to 90mph all in the space of 5 seconds. @ trip PC lets you edit that rogue point or delete it totally. You can export the .gpx file from the Holux 245 to @ trip (downloadable from internet) and edit that way.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks; will await your report with interest ( by next Tuesday do you mean the 21st or the 28th? Just to be clear because I only asked Maplin to reserve it for a week until Friday 24th ).

I'm not bothered about the software stuff - I'm only planning on using it to watch the speed live on the display, not to download logs or anything.

TGV

Tues 21st. Yes, the real time speed display is good. If you get one - go online and get the firmware update - this adds average speed to the real time display which it doesn't do straight out of the box.

Highest speed I've logged on it was 123.6mph. Memory is huge - even logging every 1 second, it'll log for hours.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks; if it gets a signal on the Voyager i'll definitely be parting with £49.99 later this week...

I'll probably still keep the Garmin as well and mainly use the 245 on the stock the Garmin won't work in ( the Garmin has the advantage of running off AAA batteries so on longer multi day trips the battery capacity is less of an issue ).

TGV

Peter - good and bad news. The Holux DID manage a fix on a Voyager. The bad news - it's the only train I've been on where it can't KEEP the fix. Drops out and in a lot. I managed a good few miles of data logging though - confirmed the 100mph limit where we were at the time and on upload it shows the route on the map, so that does work, but it blacked out for 2-3 miles every few minutes. Walking to the vestibule and holding up against the window there helped - it locked on and stayed there for as long as I could be bothered standing, but my first class seat was just too comfortable to continue that experiment.

So it's not exactly conclusive - nor was it a scientific test (I didn't try another voyager or another route), but of all the trains I've tried, they were the most problematic.

Whether you still want to part £50 for one or not is of course your choice, but before you do (or don't!), you might want to see the thing in action for real. I took a brief video of it logging through Didcot Parkway in an HST this afternoon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDLme4eGE5A

TGV

Thankfully they saw sense in using a bog standard one and nothing stupid like Sony or Apple would do! It's a mini USB on the GPS unit end and a regular one on the other.

jimrbrobinson

Cheers for that - I've ordered one off ebay (used) but there's no cable supplied with it. Got the software (£6 ish for ezTour) and manuals via the Holux website, but only just thought about the cable! d'oh! :D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
TGV - thanks; most Voyager trips I end up standing anyway unless I can get on board at the start point as soon as the thing opens for boarding!

Well, if it can get a fix in the Voyager cabins it certainly should in the 390 cabins as the Voyagers have more metal in their window film than anything else. And as I live in SWT territory ( meaning I get more than a few Desiro rides! ) I think I'm convinced enough...

TGV

Nice one - yeah, any old digital camera or similar cable will do the job. The ezTour software is hit an miss - it's grat at viewing the data, maps and interfacing with the unit (make sure you download the driver too - it's a separate file to ezTour on the Holux website) but it's useless at editing the data - the Mobile Action Technology I got U software "@ trip PC" is better, but their handset doesn't show instantaneous speed and doesn't log as much data.

Have fun with it - it's surprising how often you'll find yourself just checking how fast a train or car is going out of nothing more than curiosity.

TGV

TGV - thanks; most Voyager trips I end up standing anyway unless I can get on board at the start point as soon as the thing opens for boarding!

Well, if it can get a fix in the Voyager cabins it certainly should in the 390 cabins as the Voyagers have more metal in their window film than anything else. And as I live in SWT territory ( meaning I get more than a few Desiro rides! ) I think I'm convinced enough...

Yup - works fine in Desiro's - see attached from a 444...

Attachments

• 444.jpg
    444.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Charging it up for the first time right now!:)

Had a look through the settings and I can't work out how to change the speed display from km/h to MPH; is this detail going to buried within the computer disk that comes with it?

Or to save time, please - how do I set it for a live MPH display on the screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.