• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Rail_WAy

I'l have a go.

How Many DIESEL Locomotives Are On The ELR?
Operational diesel locos - 17?

How Long Is The ELR
Approximately 12 miles from Heywood to Rawtenstall.

How Many STEAM Locomotives Are There On The ELR?
Operational steam locos 10?

The Longest Rly Line In The UK?
In heritage terms that would be the West Somerset Railway at 23 miles long.

The Shortest Rly Line In The UK?
Ambiguous question - in heritage terms would it be the Middleton Railway, some museums have short running lines as well, such as the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester.

Best Loco Ever?
In my opinion - Steam: Oliver Cromwell
Diesel: Class 37.

Phoenix

Established Member
Not too bad a quiz but the best loco ever question well not really a question I take it you like the ELR then ??

mumrar

Established Member
How Many DIESEL Locomotives Are On The ELR?
Plenty

How Long Is The ELR
Already been answered

How Many STEAM Locomotives Are There On The ELR?
Not nearly enough

The Longest Rly Line In The UK?
In terms of operated as a normal service it must be the WCML route from Euston to Edinburgh.

The Shortest Rly Line In The UK?
It is technically Stourbridge Town to Junction, seeing as the PPM doesn't do hill climbing with passengers and rail services are restored again (How embarrassing for the PPM to make a 153 look good)!

Best Loco Ever?
DP1, you didn't say a class, and this one changed the railway and looked damn great doing it!

Death

Established Member
  1. Q: How Many DIESEL Locomotives Are On The ELR?
    A: Variable, depending on whether or not NR are using it as a short-cut for DMUs during engineering works. :lol:
  2. Q: How Long Is The ELR?
    A: Twice as long as it's half. :)
  3. Q: How Many STEAM Locomotives Are There On The ELR?
    A: None. No locomotive that I've ever come across in my time has ever been made of steam. ;)
  4. Q: The Longest Rly Line In The UK?
    A: Penzance to Wick - Running via Glasgow, Edinburgh, Grantham, Kentish Town, Watford Jn, Stafford, Carstairs, Perth and Inverness. <D
  5. Q: The Shortest Rly Line In The UK?
    A: The safety training p-way installed at LUL's training centre in Acton Town - A section of track about 14ft long. ;)
  6. Q: Best Loco Ever?
    A: SC-49001 (The first APT-P power car) in my opinion...But like everyone else has said, this question could only be answered with wildcards. :)

Established Member
  1. Q: How Many STEAM Locomotives Are There On The ELR?
    A: None. No locomotive that I've ever come across in my time has ever been made of steam. ;)

1. Whoo hoo! a life without kettles is heaven! :D Diesel and AC locos all the way

[*]Q: Best Loco Ever?
    A: SC-49001 (The first APT-P power car) in my opinion...But like everyone else has said, this question could only be answered with wildcards. :)

i do beleve the APT-P is a unit Locos classes can range from 01-99 units are classed 100- whatever you want! :)

thats why theres no Units with 2 numbers as its class, i dont know why its like this but id imagine its because it make life easyer for everyone, last thing you`d want to do is send out a class 99 for some Mk3`s only to find out its a unit :)

Death

Established Member
Whoo hoo! a life without kettles is heaven! :D Diesel and AC locos all the way
I also prefer my Diesels and 'Leccies to steam, although I wouldn't ask for a world without steam traction. Steam locos are great in their own right (And I'd love to have a turn at driving a 9F! <D) and they have proven very useful in the past too...Especially on a day when the whole SR network got knocked out by a widespread power failure, and my 411 found itself being hauled to Waterloo by a steam loco from the MHR! 8)

i do beleve the APT-P is a unit Locos classes can range from 01-99 units are classed 100- whatever you want! :)
Strictly speaking, the APT-P is two units connected end-on (A bit like a 373 Eurostar) but the power cars themselves - Provided that a DVT/cab of some description is included in the rake to provide a control desk - Can be used in the same way as a conventional loco, I believe. :)

Basically; What I'm saying is that an APT power car could be marshalled between a failed 66 and it's freight consist to provide traction - With the power car being controlled from the 66s cab. 8)

Established Member
Basically; What I'm saying is that an APT power car could be marshalled between a failed 66 and it's freight consist to provide traction - With the power car being controlled from the 66s cab. 8)

In theory, yes they could, but it'd probably be easier to just get another loco and couple it in front of it to drag it. Save on all the faffing around shunting a dead loco then getting he powercar behind it :p

theblackwatch

Established Member

thats why theres no Units with 2 numbers as its class, i dont know why its like this but id imagine its because it make life easyer for everyone, last thing you`d want to do is send out a class 99 for some Mk3`s only to find out its a unit :)

The APT-P was a Class 370 EMU. Sc49001 was the motored vehicle within the EMU, in the same way that S62402 is in 1497.

Status
Not open for further replies.