• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement bus delayed by train

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Was just on the 19:50 rail replacement bus from Liverpool Lime Street to Hunts Cross and got held up by a car from a class 331 unit being delivered passing in front of us by the bus shelter at the end of Penny Lane.

IMG-20180723-WA0001.jpeg

IMG-20180723-WA0003.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
I've always been astounded that it is easier (presumably cheaper) to transport trains by road rather than by rail. If that is the case, can't the track charges be reduced for new rolling stock to make it more viable, rather thancause traffic congestion on the roads?

fowler9

Established Member
It was interesting to see right by my old school but I'm not sure it was the best advert for Northern blocking a major road in to the city at a time there are no trains in to Lime Street and before closure the service was a nightmare anyway. Ha ha.

Howardh

Established Member
That's fantastic, reminds me of the day I overtook a tube train on the M1!

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Clearances won't change just because it's being dragged. They'll fit unless someone's screwed up massively but you don't drag £2m of new kit anywhere unless your paperwork is in order.

I thought it may because of the train type approval for running - thinking systems, etc, not loading gauge. I have no idea how the approvals work, hence the question.

Would it not be possible to put it through a loading gauge then drag it? (Even though this is a hypothetical question given the access charges issue)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I thought it may because of the train type approval for running - thinking systems, etc, not loading gauge. I have no idea how the approvals work, hence the question.

Would it not be possible to put it through a loading gauge then drag it? (Even though this is a hypothetical question given the access charges issue)
It could well be possible. Like you, I have no knowledge of the process- I just know that it's more complicated than one might think!

Groningen

Established Member
Ha, ha; that is a good one! The/new wheels of trains at the depot in Onnen, Netherlands are transported by trucks; so not in a freighttrain, but on the road.

childwallblues

Established Member
Was it a whole unit or just one carriage?
Was just on the 19:50 rail replacement bus from Liverpool Lime Street to Hunts Cross and got held up by a car from a class 331 unit being delivered passing in front of us by the bus shelter at the end of Penny Lane.

View attachment 49991

View attachment 49992
That is a very diffiicult turn from Allerton Road into Church Road for such a load. At the other end of Church Road there is another roundabout were I met 08790 a few weeks ago on its transfer from Longsight to Edge Hill.

fowler9

Established Member
Was it a whole unit or just one carriage?
Just one carriage mate, that I could see at least, nothing else further down the road.
That is a very diffiicult turn from Allerton Road into Church Road for such a load. At the other end of Church Road there is another roundabout were I met 08790 a few weeks ago on its transfer from Longsight to Edge Hill.
Indeed, was thinking that, plus the high street at the other end by Picton Clock is very narrow. Then there is the fact it passes under the railway as it gets near Edge Hill.

fowler9

Established Member
That'll be why it was moved by road then, a lot easier and quicker to move a single vehicle by road than rail.
I am far from an expert on such things to be honest. It would seem to make more sense to form the units up in one place and drag them by rail. I know there is a hell of a lot more to it than that though. Main thing is if you know Liverpool it would seem a hell of an odd route to take, and this is the area of LiverpoolI have spent most of my life. That said I'm sure there will be good reasons for clearances on roads I just wouldn't have a clue about. Then we come back to how can they know how much clearance a new train has in a densely packed suburb and not on the rails. Anyway, it was fun to see.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Would I be correct in thinking that Class 195/331 units would in any case have to start their initial journey from the Spanish manufacturing plant by road to a country located within standard gauge Europe before they could be hauled by rail throughout to Liverpool?

Interesting pictures Mr Fowler, many thanks for posting!

fowler9

Established Member
Would I be correct in thinking that Class 195/331 units would in any case have to start their initial journey from the Spanish manufacturing plant by road to a country located within standard gauge Europe before they could be hauled by rail throughout to Liverpool?

Interesting pictures Mr Fowler, many thanks for posting!
Cheers by the way mate. Not the best photos but the experience entertained me. Ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.