• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement buses during strikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
In years gone by I never recall any sort of RR operating. It’s just not something that is provided during strike action.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lincolnshire

Engineering work jobs pick up the tab for rail replacement work services, where by strike days it would be the train operating company would have to pick up the bill for transport. They don,t have to provide any cover for strike action.

notadriver

Established Member
Now there’s an idea… surely someone who can manage faster-slower AND lefty-righty can manage just faster-slower with a bit of training. Tin hat on!

I’m a bus driver but I’ve also logged plenty of time on train simulator. Im pretty sure I could get the hang of it quickly. Where do I sign up ?

Falcon1200

Established Member
In years gone by I never recall any sort of RR operating. It’s just not something that is provided during strike action.

Indeed, it was the same 40 years ago under BR; During the ASLEF dispute in 1982, I was living in Oxford and working (for BR) in Reading. Initially I was allowed to book on at Oxford and was sent home, then attitudes hardened and I had to get the bus, sometimes direct, other times changing at Wallingford, to fulfil my (pointless) shift.

dk1

Veteran Member
There are always some exceptions but it does seem nowadays, probably because all out strikes are very rare on the national network, that many passengers have never experienced one so therefore wrongly assume that RR is provided everytime trains do not operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.