• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement buses - seeking help to identify makes and models.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
This week sees track infrastructure work at Portsmouth Harbour and around Fareham. Rail Replacement buses are a real mixture, to my eyes (I have zero bus knowledge :) ).

Apart from the Enviros - which seem to be of different body lengths - I have no idea what the others are. I'd appreciate a kind person telling me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bus_Soton_RailReplacement_1.jpg
    Bus_Soton_RailReplacement_1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • Bus_Porchester_RailReplacement.jpg
    Bus_Porchester_RailReplacement.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 103
  • Bus_Soton_RailReplacement_2.jpg
    Bus_Soton_RailReplacement_2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 116
  • Bus_Soton_RailReplacement_3.jpg
    Bus_Soton_RailReplacement_3.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 116
  • Bus_Coastway_RailReplacement.jpg
    Bus_Coastway_RailReplacement.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 111
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MasterSpenny

This week sees track infrastructure work at Portsmouth Harbour and around Fareham. Rail Replacement buses are a real mixture, to my eyes (I have zero bus knowledge :) ).

Apart from the Enviros - which seem to be of different body lengths - I have no idea what the others are. I'd appreciate a kind person telling me. Thanks in advance.
To the best of my knowledge, the images in the first post type of bus are:
  • The first image of SK23CUV is a Mortons Travel Enviro 400 MMC
  • The Mayflower bus is a Scania N230UD chassis Scania OmniCity
  • Not so sure on the 3rd image, feel free to quote me
  • The 4th image is a North Dorset owned Yutong TC9
  • The 5th image you’re attached is a London spec Enviro 400 operated by Go-Ahead London.

richw

Veteran Member
Not so sure on the 3rd image, feel free to quote me
Volvo B9TL east lancs Olympus, although depending on its age it may be branded as an Optare Olympus as Optare acquired East Lancs in the last 00s and all future vehicles were plated as Optares losing the East lancs brand

Sun Chariot

Established Member
  • The 5th image you’re attached is a London spec Enviro 400 operated by Go-Ahead London.
That's brilliant, thank you!

Volvo B9TL east lancs Olympus, although depending on its age it may be branded as an Optare Olympus as Optare acquired East Lancs in the last 00s and all future vehicles were plated as Optares losing the East lancs brand
And thanks, too, for the interesting insight on this one.

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems to be the way now, subcontract to lots of companies.

The Bath-Westbury bus service at weekends had at least 3 coach companies (didn't see any buses), including Chandlers of Westbury, Excelsior of Bournemouth, another one I have forgotten name of.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Seems to be the way now, subcontract to lots of companies.

The Bath-Westbury bus service at weekends had at least 3 coach companies (didn't see any buses), including Chandlers of Westbury, Excelsior ofŔ Bournemouth, another one I have forgotten name of.
It's a colourful change here. Autumn 2023, a Brighton & Hove branded bus was on West Coastway rail replacement duties - and some very confused looks on Havant's disembarking rail passengers!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Just googled the Tri axle and it is apparently a Volvo B9TL chassis

ODL 678. Chassis: Volvo B9TL. Body: Optare Olympus. Operator: Xelabus. Fleet number: 601. Depot: Eastleigh. Status: Active - passenger use.

Were all tri axle buses ex Hong Kong or were some registered new to the UK ? O obviously know plenty of tri axle coaches are registered here.

darloscott

The coach isn’t a TC9, that’s a Volvo Panther 3… I don’t know which type but it looks like a B8R, could be a B11R

hst43102

Just googled the Tri axle and it is apparently a Volvo B9TL chassis

ODL 678. Chassis: Volvo B9TL. Body: Optare Olympus. Operator: Xelabus. Fleet number: 601. Depot: Eastleigh. Status: Active - passenger use.

Were all tri axle buses ex Hong Kong or were some registered new to the UK ? O obviously know plenty of tri axle coaches are registered here.
Many tri axle decker have been new to the UK, including all Olympus bodied examples. This one was new as LJ58GCK to Tellings Golden Miller.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks all for your help and insight. I hadn't realised so much variety in the bodies and chassis combinations.
There is still some variety these days, but with manufacturers disappearing and the remainder becoming more vertically integrated over the years, there's far less than there once was.

richw

Veteran Member
The coach isn’t a TC9, that’s a Volvo Panther 3… I don’t know which type but it looks like a B8R, could be a B11R
Someone Googled the registration and didn’t check it was the same vehicle and private plate had been transferred.

Something to bear in mind when google searching the vehicles is that private registrations are the same vehicle