• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Staff Travel (FIP) on sleeper trains in Norway and Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone have any recent experience of using FIP facilities on sleeper trains in Norway and Sweden? It appears to be complicated by the fact that Swedish Railways (SJ) who do not accept FIP operate sleeper services in Norway and Norwegian Railways (VY) who do accept FIP operate sleeper services in Sweden!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rvdborgt

In Norway, FIP coupons are accepted by all passenger operators, so I suppose you can also book night train reservations.
For Vy's night trains in Sweden, you'd have to ask them.

Gloster

Established Member
Although ticketing arrangements are usually decided by the country that the service is in there are anomalies. When BK-Tåg took over the Borlänge-Malung service, I asked the MD of the company what was the policy on InterRail tickets. The answer was that wasn’t in the contract so they made their own decision. Admittedly, this was in the early days of franchising.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I can't answer the question, but for Sweden you will have to telephone in advance. Apart from a handful of regional travel centres, there are no ticket offices in Sweden. Pressbyrån newsagents can sell tickets, but at a huge premium and only if the teenager behind the counter knows what they're doing.

SJ in Sweden +46 771 75 75 75

Vy in Sweden + 46 771 444 111

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Any idea what their booking fee is?

100kr (about €10). I would be very surprised if they could sell FIP tickets.

Edit: SJ tickets available from both Pressbyrån and 7-Eleven convenience stores in Sweden.

Last edited:

rvdborgt

100kr (about €10). I would be very surprised if they could sell FIP tickets.
Normal reservations should work though. FIP tickets would depend on whether any FIP facilities are accepted anywhere in Sweden (since it looks like they only sell domestic tickets) and whether they're allowed to sell them. So we need to know first if Vy Sweden accept any FIP facilities. I suspect not since the RDS document doesn't mention them.

Vy (NSB) coupons and discounted tickets are only available in Norway to the border stations, and not on Vy Sweden. In the past NSB coupons were valid to and from Gothenburg but no longer it seems. SJ itself dropped-out of FIP over a decade ago now.

Under the franchising agreements in Norway, new operators are obliged to provide FIP facilities on the routes formerly operated by Vy. It is not clear whether this includes use of Vy coupons , or just to offer discounted tickets.

See Rail Staff Travel's 'Travel Tips for Europe'.

RSTL

Franchised passenger services in Norway FIP facilities are available on franchised operators of services who win the Traffic Packages under the tendering process implemented by the Norwegian Ministry of Transport and Communications. 67 Go-Ahead Nordic operate: • Sørlandet Line Oslo to Stavanger • Arendal Line Arendal to Nelaug SJ Norge operate: • Røros Line Trondheim to Hamar (and on to Oslo) • Meråker Line Trondheim to Storlien (and on to Sweden) • Rauma Line Åndalsnes to Dombas (and on to Oslo) • Nordland Line Trondheim to Bodø • regional services in Trøndelag county Vy Tog operate: • Oslo S – Bergen • Bergen – Voss – Myrdal • Bergen – Arna

rvdborgt

Under the franchising agreements in Norway, new operators are obliged to provide FIP facilities on the routes formerly operated by Vy. It is not clear whether this includes use of Vy coupons , or just to offer discounted tickets.
A friend of mine got confirmation (I don't know from whom) that coupons can also be used on the other franchises in Norway.

Status
Not open for further replies.