• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Staff Travel website not working?

Is anybody having issues with the RST website? Trying to buy a ticket urgently for travel and getting an invalid origin error, which I have never seen before. Origin is Birmingham New Street.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

harry2919

Is anybody having issues with the RST website? Trying to buy a ticket urgently for travel and getting an invalid origin error, which I have never seen before. Origin is Birmingham New Street.
Yes. I have the same problem. It's really frustrating. This website is getting worse and worse

harry2919

It's not the first time it happened also 2 days ago wanted to buy single ticket on 15 minutes journey. They said they could not find connection...

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It's also affecting the text-only version of the site, but not other sites that use Worldline WebTIS (Great Western, South Western and TransPennine) so looks to be some sort of configuration error at RST's end.

theironroad

Established Member
just tried a test and website comes up but says 'invalid origin' after putting station details in, though it does recognise the station.

RJ

Established Member
It's also affecting the text-only version of the site, but not other sites that use Worldline WebTIS (Great Western, South Western and TransPennine) so looks to be some sort of configuration error at RST's end.

I was going to say, sometimes the text only version works when the normal site doesn’t, but it’s great fun having to go through the rabbits warren of options when you already know which fare you want to select!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes for TOC staff, use the ticket office if there is one; if there isn't they are entitled to buy on board without penalty.

For NR staff, the position is unclear; perhaps someone could ask NR?

Yes for TOC staff, use the ticket office if there is one; if there isn't they are entitled to buy on board without penalty.

For NR staff, the position is unclear; perhaps someone could ask NR?

I visited Birmingham New Street ticket office and said the Rail Staff Travel website wasn’t working, showed my NR staff travel card and the helpful lady let me buy all the tickets I needed at the PRIV rate.

I bought my next 3 journeys over the next few days just in case this issue drags on.

But it really is not good enough to be relying on the goodwill of other staff.

Peter0124

Established Member
Whilst I am grateful NR got a PRIV, they've been given the short end of the stick on it.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Update from RST:
Rail Staff Travel said:

RST Online outage​

RST Online is unavailable due to a system issue as of 29 February 2024.

As a temporary arrangement, holders of the RST Online Leisure Card may purchase tickets at National Rail station ticket offices at Priv rate whilst this outage is ongoing.

Once the issue in RST Online is resolved and ticket purchase is available, this arrangement will be withdrawn.

29 February 2024

Info will be posted to the RST News page when they have updates.

Mawkie

I think Network Rail staff have to use the website and can't buy "in person".
Out of interest, I see RDG have offered Network Rail the Priv with this weird limitation - does anyone know the reason why it's online only? I understand the discussion around the differences between the TOCs and NR and everything, but if RDG agrees to the idea that NR staff could have access, it just seems a bit petty to put extra restrictions on.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think there is a view within RDG that many staff don't buy a ticket at all, knowing that on board staff will likely let them travel for free. So requiring NR staff to buy online is an attempt to make sure they do buy a ticket. Trying to apply those rules to existing Priv holders would be harder as the unions would likely kick off.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Out of interest, I see RDG have offered Network Rail the Priv with this weird limitation - does anyone know the reason why it's online only? I understand the discussion around the differences between the TOCs and NR and everything, but if RDG agrees to the idea that NR staff could have access, it just seems a bit petty to put extra restrictions on.
It's probably online only because that can more easily control the limitations of what tickets can be bought, and can control access (if you leave the industry you lose access pretty sharply).

Mawkie

I think there is a view within RDG that many staff don't buy a ticket at all, knowing that on board staff will likely let them travel for free. So requiring NR staff to buy online is an attempt to make sure they do buy a ticket. Trying to apply those rules to existing Priv holders would be harder as the unions would likely kick off.
Thank you.
It's probably online only because that can more easily control the limitations of what tickets can be bought, and can control access (if you leave the industry you lose access pretty sharply).
Good point.

TfL made a commitment to investigate access to Priv by April 2025, presumably under the same terms as NR (if I recall correctly, the NR deal cost them £250 per employee?). How many other organisations could potentially be eligible for that deal?

(Full disclosure: I have a Priv and it absolutely hasn't saved me anywhere near £250 in any year over the last 5 years, so RDG would be 'quids in' if I had that under the NR terms.)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
RDG reporting this morning that the issue has been resolved.

Have to wonder if it was leap year related, though that wouldn't explain why other Worldline sites were unaffected.

Haywain

Veteran Member
(Full disclosure: I have a Priv and it absolutely hasn't saved me anywhere near £250 in any year over the last 5 years, so RDG would be 'quids in' if I had that under the NR terms.)
It's saved me about £85* for leisure travel alone since mid-December, and I've had seven long distance journeys using free travel! I guess that the £250 is more an average figure, so RDG don't gain from those who travel less any more than they lose out from those who travel more.

*Allowing for the difference between Priv and railcard fares.

OscarH

TfL made a commitment to investigate access to Priv by April 2025, presumably under the same terms as NR (if I recall correctly, the NR deal cost them £250 per employee?). How many other organisations could potentially be eligible for that deal?
They should offer it to Third Party Retailer employees, the cost would definitely be worth it for some of us!

RPI

Established Member
I did receive an email from RST a few days beforehand saying there may be an outage on the 29th, though seems to remember this being smart card specific

800Travel

Yesterday I was unable to purchase a new season ticket due to 'maintenance' on the smart card systems. Felt odd given I get them fulfilled as e-tickets anyway. As others have said, wouldn't be surprised if these were both some kind of leap year thing.

Established Member
What provision is there for staff to travel when they can't buy a Priv ticket?
This needs addressing by RDG. If their online cards cannot be used, there is no listed easement for use of booking offices, only a vague bulletin few of us actually noticed.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Yesterday I was unable to purchase a new season ticket due to 'maintenance' on the smart card systems. Felt odd given I get them fulfilled as e-tickets anyway. As others have said, wouldn't be surprised if these were both some kind of leap year thing.
That was planned maintenance of RDG's Smartcard back office and affected all TOCs.

It was still possible to purchase Smartcard tickets from TVMs and Ticket Offices, though that's not much use for a Priv season if you requested to buy online when you applied for it of course.