• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail staff working during the pandemic: was the risk massive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeman78

Established Member
This is something of a misnomer. Trains were lightly loaded, but they weren't empty by any means, especially once timetables were scaled down.

Even during April and May last year I rarely had a carriage to myself when travelling.

I suspect plenty were empty in Wales. I didn't set foot on a train in April, May or June. When I ventured out in July, most valley trains were four cars. I had several runs with no one else in a whole two car unit.

Throughout lockdown I saw numerous buses on routes 44/45, 49/50 and 57/58 running completely empty. Previously they all carried decent loads all day. If public transport had stopped in Wales, almost no one would have noticed.

Well put.

I have many colleagues who went into work all through this including the early stages. If they hadn't then there would have been the chance that the entire financial system of the UK would have collapsed. I mean no bank transactions, no financial transactions, no money in the cash machines - so all out bedlam on the streets compounded by foreign nation state attacks.

None of them have made a squeak about being unloved; maybe they should have moved to a career of moving boxes of fresh air along tracks.

When you bleat there is always a bigger bleater so its pointless.

Now the early unknowns are over I'd just (as I am) be glad to have a job and would now be working in a positive manner to ensure I still do in the future.
Frankly the reaction has concerned me more than the virus. Imagine if it had been a serious threat to younger people. If no one wants to go out to keep food and power supplies going, then life is pretty much over anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.