• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Travel Voucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cesarcollie

Not sure if this is the right thread. Hope so! Not a prosecution, more a dispute/quepry.

I had a National Rail Travel Voucher for circa £29issued by C2C following a problem. Don’t often use them, but use Greater Anglia much more.
Most of my rail journeys are longer distance booked on-line, or to/from London so circa £10-£15. As I understand you can’t get change, I ‘saved’ the voucher till my Network Railcard needed renewing. Perhaps foolishly left until I was making a journey.

Got to Wickford ticket office. Clerk said voucher bar code wouldn’t scan on his machine. Nothing he could do I’d have to take up with C2c as issuer. No interest in helping. So grudgingly had no option but to pay real money for new railcard plus ticket.

As I had 5 mins al Liverpool Street, asked at GA ticket office there. Helpful chap there said he wouldn’t try scanning as that would deduct the value, but said the guy at Wickford should have accepted it whether it scanned or not.

Following day rang GA customer services. Thought this was a sensible starting point as their ticket office had refused it. Helpful chap said he’d take advice and email me. He did, and I got an email asking me to write ‘void’ on the voucher, and send a pic plus my bank details, and they would pay the cash amount into my account. Excellent customer service I thought.

Following day, another email (albeit from a different advisor) saying all being processed, but may take up to 14 days to hit my account. All so simple.

Day after - another email. Sorry management had revised the payment as voucher was a C2c one and I’d need to take up with them.

I emailed back explain that 1. Their (GA) ticket office was the one who’d declined it. And (2) I now had a voucher with ‘void’ written across it. C2c would probably laugh if I sent them that.

Got a response from same advisor - but simply repeated that it was a C2c voucher so need to take up with them blah blah.

So. Rang GA customer services. Asked to speak to a Manager. Thought someone would understand if I explained it again, slowly. All the Managers were in a meeeting however (strange, but possible I suppose!). One of them would call me back. How long might that be, I enquired politely? Within 72 hours they said.

well, that was last Thursday and I’ve heard not a squeak. Now I know it’s only £29, but I’m getting p*****d off now. Any ideas on how to be get a satisfactory outcome. Even a replacement voucher would do tbh, though preferably a couple of lower value ones so I can use them!

Help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bcarmicle

Have you tried contacting C2C and explaining that you voided it as per GA's instructions? I imagine that they'd be able to look up the voucher code and confirm it hadn't been used.

Cesarcollie

Have you tried contacting C2C and explaining that you voided it as per GA's instructions? I imagine that they'd be able to look up the voucher code and confirm it hadn't been used.

Thanks. I didn’t consider they might have this level of ‘traceability’ so will give that a try!

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yeah, bad advice from GA. They can’t cancel c2c’s voucher and they didn’t issue it so it isn’t up to them to replace it. Speaking to c2c should hopefully yield results!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I used to like having the Rail Travel Vouchers a few years ago and saving them up for when I did a rover but then started encountering this not scanning issue more and more often. Not sure what changed, once or twice the ticket office staff managed to manually type in the code, other times they managed to manually input the voucher amount and more often than not they just refused it.

I always have delay repay paid into a bank account now...

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I used to like having the Rail Travel Vouchers a few years ago and saving them up for when I did a rover but then started encountering this not scanning issue more and more often. Not sure what changed, once or twice the ticket office staff managed to manually type in the code, other times they managed to manually input the voucher amount and more often than not they just refused it.

I always have delay repay paid into a bank account now...
I used to board at an unstaffed station and buy on-train with them. No scanning issues then.

Status
Not open for further replies.