• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcards and leap years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Yesterday (20/04/2023) I purchased a 16-25 Railcard from LNER. It was advertised as valid for "1 year" on LNER's website. When I added it to my device, it had an expiry of 19th April 2024.

Presumably the (undocumented!) logic here is 365 day validity, 2024 being a leap year. I believe the spec is silent on this matter and just says they "can be fulfilled digitally with a period validity of one or three [calendar] years". There are no accreditation tests in this area (much like the time of day the railcard expires which RDG/Kin+Carter (?) previously screwed up).

The official Railcard FAQs make reference to railcards "expiring the day before someone's 27th birthday" which to me implies it should be calendar-year-based.

Was I cheated out of a day of validity, and if so - where can I claim my ~8p refund? :p

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
It's valid on the day you bought it - 20/4/23 - and then until and including 19/4/24, that's exactly one year. It has nothing to do with leap years.

miklcct

On Moderation
Yesterday (20/04/2023) I purchased a 16-25 Railcard from LNER. It was advertised as valid for "1 year" on LNER's website. When I added it to my device, it had an expiry of 19th April 2024.

Presumably the (undocumented!) logic here is 365 day validity, 2024 being a leap year. I believe the spec is silent on this matter and just says they "can be fulfilled digitally with a period validity of one or three [calendar] years". There are no accreditation tests in this area (much like the time of day the railcard expires which RDG/Kin+Carter (?) previously screwed up).

The official Railcard FAQs make reference to railcards "expiring the day before someone's 27th birthday" which to me implies it should be calendar-year-based.

Was I cheated out of a day of validity, and if so - where can I claim my ~8p refund? :p
What's the expiry date of a 1-year railcard bought on 1 March this year?

Adam Williams

Established Member
In which case you should have bought it 24 hours earlier at 00:01.
So can you use a 16-25 railcard the day before your 27th birthday - as the FAQ suggests - or is it impossible to actually buy one valid including that day?

4COR

It was purchased at 23:02 - that's not a year of validity
It can hardly expire part way through the day can it? I would take advantage of the extra day in the Leap Year and use it as much as possible on the 29th Feb...

The clause about expiry on the day before a person's 27th birthday is surely to make sure that a 3 year card isn't purchased as late as possible and carries on until they are very almost 29 years of age.

Adam Williams

Established Member
It can hardly expire part way through the day can it?
I mean, I see no technical reason it couldn't expire part-way through the day. There may be usability concerns with such a proposal!
Ultimately there's very little in the way of concrete information about when a railcard should expire in relation to the expiry date on the card (23:59:59.99999? 04:29 the next day?) and this has been debated here in another thread. I think the actual official reference implementation considers the railcard expired from 00:00 on the following day.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
So can you use a 16-25 railcard the day before your 27th birthday - as the FAQ suggests - or is it impossible to actually buy one valid including that day?
Presumably, you can buy a 3-year railcard on your 24th birthday, and that would expire the day before your 27th.

Adam Williams

Established Member
Presumably, you can buy a 3-year railcard on your 24th birthday, and that would expire the day before your 27th.
I agree what you've said makes sense - the RDG FAQ does imply you can't do this though, "you can buy them up until the day before your 24th birthday"

island

Veteran Member
All new station and digital Railcards are issued as valid until the preceding calendar day in the next calendar year, giving a year's validity. Expiring on the same calendar day in the next calendar year would give a year and a day's validity. (Railcards that are posted may have extra time added to account for postal delays, and renewals will be valid from the day after the previous Railcard expires.)

Quibbling about getting some fraction of a day less because you chose to purchase the Railcard late in the day is plumbing depths of triviality even for Railforums :D
At which point I wouldn't have been eligible to purchase the railcard!
Happy birthday!

Established Member
All new station and digital Railcards are issued as valid until the preceding calendar day in the next calendar year, giving a year's validity. Expiring on the same calendar day in the next calendar year would give a year and a day's validity. (Railcards that are posted may have extra time added to account for postal delays, and renewals will be valid from the day after the previous Railcard expires.)

Quibbling about getting some fraction of a day less because you chose to purchase the Railcard late in the day is plumbing depths of triviality even for Railforums :D

Happy birthday!
On that note, and it's relevant to me in the scarily not too distant future.

Can one apply for a 3 year railcard to be posted the day before their 24th birthday, and still use it for the extra days after your 27th birthday?

Granted, even if the answer is technically no, it'd be very difficult if not impossible to even detect, never mind enforce.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I agree what you've said makes sense - the RDG FAQ does imply you can't do this though, "you can buy them up until the day before your 24th birthday"
Well, I know two of us who aren't going to be able to put that to the test! Happy birthday.
On that note, and it's relevant to me in the scarily not too distant future.

Can one apply for a 3 year railcard to be posted the day before their 24th birthday, and still use it for the extra days after your 27th birthday?

Granted, even if the answer is technically no, it'd be very difficult if not impossible to even detect, never mind enforce.
I think it is safe to assume that you won't get an expiry date on or after your 27th birthday. Now, the question is will you be testing out the ability to buy one on your 24th birthday?!

nw1

Established Member

Always used to be the case, though in my day it was the day before your 26th birthday, not 27th. I don't think I did this, I bought my last one maybe 2 weeks before my 26th birthday but it remained valid during the majority of the year I was 26. And thankfully after that, living in the by-then-ex-NSE area, I just switched to the Network Railcard.

(Has the age limit increased by one year now? I'd guess not as it's called "16-25" implying it would be impossible to be valid when you're 27. I do remember it had previously increased: at one point it was 16-23 but thankfully before my time).

Last edited:

XAM2175

Established Member

In fairness, while it's not a big deal, I can see why the OP would feel that this was a bit of sharp practice. A customer-friendly system would give the one-year-and-one-day validity so as to ensure everybody got the promised year, even if that did mean that some people got a 'free day', in effect, by buying early in the day and using it to discount tickets immediately. Said system, if designed by suitably pedantic people, could just as easily include a "then subtract one day" catch for leap years :p

Let's not forget too that RDG's Railcard app still marks digital Railcards as expired 24 hours earlier than they actually should.

1955LR

In my view a 3 year railcard is 3 years whether it includes a leap year or not. If they want to say its only 1095 days , that's what should be advertised and sold . I had a similar argument about car warranty with a leap year and got it changed 1096 days

RJ

Established Member

Happy birthday!

I must concur with this sentiment, and also wish the OP a Happy Birthday!

zero

Well, I know two of us who aren't going to be able to put that to the test! Happy birthday.

I think it is safe to assume that you won't get an expiry date on or after your 27th birthday. Now, the question is will you be testing out the ability to buy one on your 24th birthday?!
I bought a 3 year on the last day possible and it was valid for a week after my birthday. I think it also arrived very quickly so I got something like 3 years and 10 days out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.