• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

railtour from london to swanage and return 22nd september

Status
Not open for further replies.

VEP3417

there appears to be a steam? railtour from london to swanage and back this thursday but ive checked rail advent and railtour info but no tour shows up as of yet but it shows up on rtt, ill try and get some photos but might only be able to get the return journey :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
It is now on RailAdvent as the Swanage Belle. Looks interesting
£115 for adult and £85 child.

It seems as if this tour was originally dated for the 8th of September but was cancelled because a passenger was taken ill on board. are there are ticket sales at all?

Last edited:

VEP3417

ahh yes so it is, it wasnt when i last looked, the tickets where probably transferred over from the cancelled tour so there might not be any free to buy unless theres any cancellations

zwk500

Veteran Member
there appears to be a steam? railtour from london to swanage and back this thursday but ive checked rail advent and railtour info but no tour shows up as of yet but it shows up on rtt, ill try and get some photos but might only be able to get the return journey :)
If you're after the return journey be mindful that from Swanage to Southampton it looks like it's being dragged by a 47 with the Steam Loco on the rear.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up guys.
I, too, couldn't find it on any of the usual forthcoming railtour sites, but it's on RTT. Will check it's actually on its way tomorrow, before venturing out...

WizCastro197

Established Member
If you're after the return journey be mindful that from Swanage to Southampton it looks like it's being dragged by a 47 with the Steam Loco on the rear.
I believe at Southampton the steam loco takes over and returns via Salisbury and Andover

zwk500

Veteran Member
I believe at Southampton the steam loco takes over and returns via Salisbury and Andover
Nearly. It won't go into Salisbury, but use the avoiding Laverstock curve [/end pedant]. Hence why I said 'from Swanage to Southampton'. By a process of deduction if the loco is on the rear into Southampton and the train reverses there, it will naturally be leading the train away via Romsey.

Tours to Swanage can sometimes have a 2nd Steam Loco (either all the way or loaned by the Swanage Railway) to avoid any diesel haulage at all, but on this tour that appears to not be the case. Hence the warning to avoid disappointment if the intent was to photograph a Steam Loco heading up a tour.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Tours to Swanage can sometimes have a 2nd Steam Loco (either all the way or loaned by the Swanage Railway) to avoid any diesel haulage at all, but on this tour that appears to not be the case. Hence the warning to avoid disappointment if the intent was to photograph a Steam Loco heading up a tour.
Tends to be the Weymouth trip that gets 31806 attached, the Swanage always appears to be diesel back out of there, perhaps because of the difficulty of attaching a locomotive to a long train at Swanage. However, given these trips run in summer, it is generally the case that it is too dry to avoid diesel haulage.

Amlag

Is 31806 which was at considerable cost (I assume to the Swanage Rly), made fully compliant to operate on the National Rail network in practice the least used steam loco on the National Network ?
It is a pity that this loco has ventured onto the ‘main line’ only a couple of times since being passed to do so a few years ago.
Many hoped it would be used in its own right hauling its own trains, possibly including the lightly used Dorchester to Yeovil line.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is 31806 which was at considerable cost (I assume to the Swanage Rly), made fully compliant to operate on the National Rail network in practice the least used steam loco on the National Network ?
Quite possibly, depending on exactly what and when you count as being Fully Compliant.
It is a pity that this loco has ventured onto the ‘main line’ only a couple of times since being passed to do so a few years ago.
Many hoped it would be used in its own right hauling its own trains, possibly including the lightly used Dorchester to Yeovil line.
One problem would be that Swanage don't (or didn't) have their own operating license, so organising trains and drivers was always rather convoluted. I believe Swanage also don't have their own support coach for the U-Class, which carries a lot of important safety equipment as well as spare parts and crew/staff. They also don't have Mainline registered coaches (I think), so would need to borrow some off a mainline charter company.

Specifically for the Heart of Wessex line, you need 2 reversals to get onto it, and for the first one (Worgret Jn) there's no option to runround for a long way in the wrong direction. You could top/tail the train if you have a mainline registered diesel, but again that's extra crew and operating costs to pay for. It's a shame it doesn't really get beyond Southampton, but the fact it gets out on the mainline at all is quite remarkable in some ways.

VEP3417

thanks for the info

ive seen enough of these tours to know the steam is usually on the rear on the way back :)

ill try ad photograph it later anyway :)

Titfield

Established Member

Swanage Railway received a DoT grant (IIRC it was £75K from the DoT) to pay for the works required to make 31806 compliant to operate on the mainline.

There may have been some small additional costs borne by SRC as the maximum grant which could be applied for was £75K.

davews

Passed us by Staines this morning although I missed seeing what was a the front by the time I noticed. No sign of smoke anywhere, was the 45596 being used at that time?

VEP3417

i couldnt make it in the end so diddnt take any photos, dont think theres many if anymore tours down this way for a whilst now

Status
Not open for further replies.