• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

nesw

I've seen several mentions and links on this forum for RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide but each link doesn't allow access to this?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Those not logged in can't view it and I thought initially it was supposed to be restricted for some members as well, until later this month, but then people seem to be referring to it publicly - so I dunno. :s

Mind you it's not 100% complete yet so perhaps that's why?

nesw

I tried again when signed in and with the links above but got " you do not have permission to access this page."

Thanks.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide has still yet to be completed and therefore only a limited number of people (especially not unregistered or new members) can view it. It will be completed and opened up to members and unregistered users shortly.

RJ

Established Member
Can I just ask, what is the target audience for this guide? The name of it suggests anyone can use it.

However, from what I have seen, it seems to be written by ticketing experts, for ticketing experts. I say that as someone who has worked in a ticket office and understands the level of communication required to effectively educate the lay passenger on such matters. The way that the guide is written is several rungs above that level at the moment.

If it is written for experts then fine, it's fantastic and in its current form, would serve as an excellent handbook for those who already know what they are doing. If it's intended for the ordinary passenger then there is still quite a bit of work to be done.

Finally, before publicising this under the RUK brand, has any research been undertaken with focus groups comprising of lay passengers to ascertain the degree to which it useful to them?

I would apologise for being so critical but I'm just being honest and calling it as I see it. Hey, I could be completely wrong.

bnm

Established Member
I have to say I agree with RJ.

In particular Section 8. I'm fairly clued up on the legal aspects of the passenger/train operator contract but I found this section particularly heavy going. It reads more like a legal text book and history lesson than a guide.

Whilst the effort put in is to be applauded, (I trust DaveNewcastle wasn't on some sort of per word remuneration!) I'm not sure of the purpose this section, in its current format, serves. Particularly to someone who may come to RailUK looking for advice after falling foul of railway law. Aren't these people best served on a case by case basis? I hope that a newbie facing prosecution isn't told to read Section 8 whilst waiting for the right people to respond to their request for help.

And Section 5? I gave up from 5.13 onward and merely skim read. Is there really any need for all the worked examples? Sixteen of them! That would I think bewilder rather than help someone. Again with this somewhat complex area what is wrong with advice on a case by case basis? Someone enquires about a season refund/changeover and then someone else does the maths in response to the OP.

Overall, for something purporting to be guide I think it is too complex. Unless, as RJ suggests, it is a guide for those who already have a competent working knowledge of the fares system.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not intended for people to be simply told "read this section", although obviously anyone with a keen interest is welcome to do so!

If people want basic information, then I suggest using www.nationalrail.co.uk and we don't intend to compete with that in any way.

The idea is that people can dip into an area that applies to their particular circumstance. So, for the examples of Season ticket refunds/changeovers, someone may find an example (or someone else may find an example for them) that applies to their particular case.

I would expect that the vast majority of people who seek help will continue to post in Fare Advice & Policy forum, but the people who provide answers will have a resource to help them provide the right answer, and our answers will hopefully be a bit more consistent.

As for when it will be released, I am confident it will be this month.

If anyone has any comments/suggestions for any section please send a private message (PM) to the person who has posted the specific post in question. We value your feedback, and the more feedback we get, the better.

Polarbear

Established Member
Having read through some of the Fares & Advice information that's been posted, I would just like to say I found it interesing, informative & fairly easy to follow.

I wouldn't class myself as an "expert" regarding fares, (certainly not in the same league as the authors of the various threads), but I like to think I know my way around the system well enough to not get ripped off unnecessarily.

There's an awful lot of work gone into this & I for one would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this to date. :D

nesw

I've had a glance though the guide this afternoon and I'm pleased to say that I'm impressed with the content.

A lot of work and knowledge has gone into the guide and whilst I understand that it's a work in progress, the information is easy to follow and should help to bring some clarity to a very complex area.

Thanks.

Goatboy

Established Member
I do agree with what RJ says in terms of the audience for the document, however I think the way its pitched at the moment is pretty much perfect. It is not a particularly suitable easy-to-use passengers guide to ticketing that the average passenger would be able to pick up and immediatly find useful but then such people are unlikely to come across it anyway - it's not a mainstream publication. What it is very useful for is the more savvy passenger, the sort who would take an interest in a forum such as this. For this type of passenger it's pitched at exactly the right level.

I've certainly found it very interesting to read so far.

wintonian

Established Member
I might be getting a little fond of putting explanatory notes here and there but I do think a note about the intended audience should perhaps be included in the the 'introduction' thread, there will be an 'introduction to the railuk fares guide' topic won't there? If not I think it would be an omission.

soil

Established Member
Ultimately unless you are a rail nerd you won't even read it, so I think the tone is probably correct.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I'm just waiting for the Routing guide to be put up, have looked at the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.