• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
That's very moving (won't attempt your name here!), thank you for explaining something I have often wondered about. What an awful shock for your family, thank goodness your daughter survived. I guess you never look at anything in the same way again after that, and the current health crisis is just another thing to take in your stride.

Absolutely, we are a lot more thankful and worry a lot less these days. I was at home in North Wales when my daughter called to tell me, I had never felt so helpless in my life 80 miles away from her when she needed me. Luckily she is ok , realises she was very lucky and apart from the odd welling up when Ariana Grande , one more time comes on the radio, I dont think there is any lasting damage. It is a day as a family we will never forget.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Absolutely, we are a lot more thankful and worry a lot less these days. I was at home in North Wales when my daughter called to tell me, I had never felt so helpless in my life 80 miles away from her when she needed me. Luckily she is ok , realises she was very lucky and apart from the odd welling up when Ariana Grande , one more time comes on the radio, I dont think there is any lasting damage. It is a day as a family we will never forget.

Especially with yesterday's news. You may have mixed emotions about that, but no-one would blame you for rejoicing that some sort of justice has been done.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Sorry for going off topic briefly. But to explain the Bee theme in Manchester.

The bee is on Manchester's coat of arms and has been since 1842 , it was used in a few places but not so prominently, but then after the Manchester Arena bombing back in 2017 of which my daughter was luckily a survivor by a couple of seconds due to a door and another person landing on top of her rather than the shrapnel flying her way the bee came back to prominence as a symbol of the amazing worker bee type attitude, solidarity and defiance from everyone in Manchester from emergency services to random acts of kindness from members of the public, taxi drivers, shop keepers to make sure everyone who needed help got it and got home or wherever they need to be. It was a wonderful thing to see from such a sad set of circumstances.

The Bee will always be a reminder to all who had anything to do with that fateful May 22nd 2017 and is why it has made a much more prominent comeback all over Manchester.

Thank you - and it is relevant.

VT 390

Established Member
This is probably just the excuse they've been looking for to shut them all for good. They're pretty grim now anyway.
I don't think they would close them all permanently, although the smaller ones like at Runcorn might but the main ones at main places like London will probably reopen.
I always fine the Liverpool lounge very nice.

ScotTrains

Surprised to see Aberdeen is to get a new First Class lounge as part of the £8M refurbishment plan. The artist impression shows what looks like the lounge above a new booking office overlooking the concourse.

The image (unrealistically) shows people in the lounge. Ever since Abellio discontinued the advance loyalty club the lounge is nearly always empty!
Is it still the case that the Aberdeen lounge is unique in the UK in that it doesn't even allow (ScotRail) first class advance passengers? The odd thing is that the few people with Anytime tickets are probably going to be business travellers using LNER or XC to/from Aberdeen.

With ScotRail recently closing lounges at Waverley, Glasgow and Inverness it's nice to see this change of direction.

Now, if only they would allow ScotRail advance passengers and weekend upgrade passengers into the lounge they might convince people to move over from LNER. The last time I visited Aberdeen I got a (cheaper than ScotRail) LNER 1st advance from Edinburgh, used the lounge at Waverley, then bought an Aberdeen to Dyce First Anytime at £3.60 just to use the Aberdeen lounge.

route101

Established Member

Surprised to see Aberdeen is to get a new First Class lounge as part of the £8M refurbishment plan. The artist impression shows what looks like the lounge above a new booking office overlooking the concourse.

The image (unrealistically) shows people in the lounge. Ever since Abellio discontinued the advance loyalty club the lounge is nearly always empty!
Is it still the case that the Aberdeen lounge is unique in the UK in that it doesn't even allow (ScotRail) first class advance passengers? The odd thing is that the few people with Anytime tickets are probably going to be business travellers using LNER or XC to/from Aberdeen.

With ScotRail recently closing lounges at Waverley, Glasgow and Inverness it's nice to see this change of direction.

Now, if only they would allow ScotRail advance passengers and weekend upgrade passengers into the lounge they might convince people to move over from LNER. The last time I visited Aberdeen I got a (cheaper than ScotRail) LNER 1st advance from Edinburgh, used the lounge at Waverley, then bought an Aberdeen to Dyce First Anytime at £3.60 just to use the Aberdeen lounge.

Does Scotrail even have First advances, not seen on their booking system?

_toommm_

Established Member

There’s definitely some for Aberdeen to Edinburgh (they don’t appear to be promotional fares either):

ScotTrains

National Express and First Group ran the Scotrail Advance loyalty club (nothing to do with advance tickets) allowing, amongst other benefits and competitions, access to all Scotrail lounges, and the Euston lounge when traveling in any class on the sleeper.

Abellio then took over and discontinued the scheme, saying instead they would introduce 1st class advance fares at £7.50 (£5 std) between any Scottish city. The £7.50 tickets never materialised, though a £10 fare was introduced. They recently introduced two more tiers at £45 and £55. I haven't seen the £10 fares available for some time meaning it's usually far cheaper to travel with LNER.

With the introduction of more Scotrail HSTs with greater capacity in 1st class than a 170, Scotrail will need to find ways to fill the seats. Increasing the £10 quota and allowing lounge access would certainly help!

route101

Established Member
I see , never noticed the £10 advances , must sell quick. Always thought between Edinburgh/Glasgow - Aberdeen , there should just be a decent walk up fare.

Butts

Veteran Member
I see , never noticed the £10 advances , must sell quick. Always thought between Edinburgh/Glasgow - Aberdeen , there should just be a decent walk up fare.

Personally I would rather go on LNER due to the lack of free alcohol and only 1 carriage on Scotrail plus use of the Edinburgh Lounge

route101

Established Member
Personally I would rather go on LNER due to the lack of free alcohol and only 1 carriage on Scotrail plus use of the Edinburgh Lounge

Never used Scotrail often only on a first advance to Newcastle via Edinburgh.

vlad

The Aberdeen first-class lounge is one of my favourites, although I've used it as a sleeper rather than Scotrail passenger. It wasn't very busy, however.

(Inbound I was deliberately last in the queue for the shower as I wanted to kill time; outbound I was the only person in there.)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Aren't ScotRail trying to really become an InterCity TOC? If they want to compete with LNER out of Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh, they should really start opening lounges and allowing people on advances to use them. Glasgow Queen Street would also be worthy of a lounge for long distance passengers. Only limitation for Glasgow and Edinburgh would be that people travelling in First Class on the E&G wouldn't be eligible as there is a train every 15 minutes.

Voyager lad

Aren't ScotRail trying to really become an InterCity TOC? If they want to compete with LNER out of Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh, they should really start opening lounges and allowing people on advances to use them. Glasgow Queen Street would also be worthy of a lounge for long distance passengers. Only limitation for Glasgow and Edinburgh would be that people travelling in First Class on the E&G wouldn't be eligible as there is a train every 15 minutes.
What they could do at Queen Street is impose a maximum 30 minute use for E&G passengers of the lounge, similar to at Manchester Piccadilly where passengers are only allowed 20 mins if travelling to Stockport. A lounge at Queen St and Inverness would be valuable, and upgrading the Aberdeen lounge will be good too. Just as long as they allow first advance ticket holders to use it!!

When I travelled first class to Aberdeen from Edinburgh, I used LNER first advances Edinburgh - Stonehaven, to allow me to use the Waverley lounge. I then bought an anytime first return Stonehaven - Aberdeen to use the ScotRail lounge, despite having used LNER. It’s a loophole that’s very easy to exploit.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
What they could do at Queen Street is impose a maximum 30 minute use for E&G passengers of the lounge, similar to at Manchester Piccadilly where passengers are only allowed 20 mins if travelling to Stockport. A lounge at Queen St and Inverness would be valuable, and upgrading the Aberdeen lounge will be good too. Just as long as they allow first advance ticket holders to use it!!

When I travelled first class to Aberdeen from Edinburgh, I used LNER first advances Edinburgh - Stonehaven, to allow me to use the Waverley lounge. I then bought an anytime first return Stonehaven - Aberdeen to use the ScotRail lounge, despite having used LNER. It’s a loophole that’s very easy to exploit.

That'd be fair as it would mean that if someone was going to Linlithgow, Polmont or Croy they wouldn't need to wait in the main concourse.

Queen Street and Inverness definitely need a lounge as the majority of services running from there convey First Class accomodation.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
One thing that might be worth adding in the future is the addition of a First Class Lounge at Glasgow Queen Street. There was some signage which has now been covered up indicating the lounge.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Apropos of the above, which was the subject of much discussion as the plans evolved, the following photos may clarify the location of this will o’ the wisp:

Friday 24/7/20
DB152BBD-5FD6-4999-99CD-551BFC67C497.jpegB61019DC-42B2-40C2-8AF3-92C2CA171A72.jpeg

Friday 21/8/20
2403F9BC-F9C6-4E3B-B330-13AD5D2BE851.jpeg

13h202

LNER First Class Lounge at Edinburgh is being refurbished in early 2021. Here are concept images:
7AB8400B-80D3-472B-A5B8-2FD6BDD6AF5F.jpeg
3C8A69B2-4880-42B1-9112-C695BCE6C513.jpeg

13h202

That looks incredible, though it looks a tad bit too cramped and a little bit less homely.

Personally I'd like it if they made it seem a bit more welcoming and more homely.
There is a much larger area behind where the camera is located in the second image so it shouldn’t be too cramped. This looks like the most ‘homely’ of all the new-style LNER lounges. I imagine there will be more artwork etc. in real life as well.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
There is a much larger area behind where the camera is located in the second image so it shouldn’t be too cramped. This looks like the most ‘homely’ of all the new-style LNER lounges. I imagine there will be more artwork etc. in real life as well.

I do hope that fireplace is real, but knowing H&S it might not be. It'll certainly be a good escape in the winter as Waverley isn't the warmest place.

ScotTrains

Forget the decor just make sure it's well stocked with fayre replenished regularly.
I agree. Every time I've been in all they have is some biscuits, crisps if you're lucky, and a limited choice of drinks.

The West Coast lounge at Glasgow Central is miles better in terms of fayre, always with a good choice of biscuits, popcorn, pretzels, crisps, cherry bakewells, chocolate Uglies, fruit, etc. I've even been served wine on occasion!

Maybe with this refurbishment LNER will finally improve the food offering. It's not as if Scotland is short on tasty treat suppliers!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I agree. Every time I've been in all they have is some biscuits, crisps if you're lucky, and a limited choice of drinks.

The West Coast lounge at Glasgow Central is miles better in terms of fayre, always with a good choice of biscuits, popcorn, pretzels, crisps, cherry bakewells, chocolate Uglies, fruit, etc. I've even been served wine on occasion!

Maybe with this refurbishment LNER will finally improve the food offering. It's not as if Scotland is short on tasty treat suppliers!
Agreed. The west coast lounges at Central and Euston are, in my opinion, the best in the country with a fantastic food offering, comfortable seating, charging points, plenty of drinks (although central station lounge could do with a toilet, you have to leave the lounge, use the main concourse and then return to go to the toilet there)

Butts

Veteran Member
Agreed. The west coast lounges at Central and Euston are, in my opinion, the best in the country with a fantastic food offering, comfortable seating, charging points, plenty of drinks (although central station lounge could do with a toilet, you have to leave the lounge, use the main concourse and then return to go to the toilet there)

May I add to that list GWR's London Paddington, although I have not been in there for a couple of years. Freshly Cut sandwiches in addition to the fayre you mentioned in Central used to be available. Birmingham New Street and International (West Coast) used to be okay as well.

The most parsimonious venues were East Coast ones barring Kings Cross and believe it or not Waverley. Newcastle, Darlington, Berwick et al, lucky if you got a packet of biscuits in addition to a hot drink.

Will be interesting to see what Scotrail come up with at Queen Street - judging by their onboard offer I don't hold out much hope.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Will be interesting to see what Scotrail come up with at Queen Street - judging by their onboard offer I don't hold out much hope.

Alas, it’s not happening :'( for a variety of reasons. The area where is was going to be (above the new Travel Shop) is a mere shell. (See https://vimeo.com/457317588 at about 03:15) There are different opinions as to how best to use the space when the ScotRail staff move into to the new management building on Dundas Street.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Alas, it’s not happening :'( for a variety of reasons. The area where is was going to be (above the new Travel Shop) is a mere shell. (See https://vimeo.com/457317588 at about 03:15) There are different opinions as to how best to use the space when the ScotRail staff move into to the new management building on Dundas Street.

That's a shame. ScotRail should really step up their game when it comes to lounges. Yes, the vast majority of routes do not convey First Class accomodation, but they should have lounges at stations where services do convey First Class.

This should be Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Queen Street, Inverness, Perth, Dundee and Stirling.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
May I add to that list GWR's London Paddington, although I have not been in there for a couple of years. Freshly Cut sandwiches in addition to the fayre you mentioned in Central used to be available. Birmingham New Street and International (West Coast) used to be okay as well.

On recent (well, pre Covid) visits to Paddington lounge there were occasional sandwiches, presumably depending on a mixture of the time of day and whether in luck or not!

ScotTrains

That's a shame. ScotRail should really step up their game when it comes to lounges. Yes, the vast majority of routes do not convey First Class accomodation, but they should have lounges at stations where services do convey First Class.

This should be Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Queen Street, Inverness, Perth, Dundee and Stirling.
I agree, the main stations should all have a 1st lounge. The old Scotrail lounge at Waverley was in a great location for Scotrail trains. Pity it shut.
The good news is that Scotrail are investing in a new lounge at Aberdeen so maybe they are planning to improve lounge provision elsewhere.

Currently, Scotrail aren't selling any 1st class tickets due to the virus. This may explain why the Q-street lounge has been put on hold. I really hope it goes ahead. It really is needed for a city the size of Glasgow with multiple 1st class routes out of Queen Street.

Oddly, most lounges in Scotland are now operated by Caledonian Sleeper (Dundee, Fort William, Inverness, Leuchars, Perth and Stirling), meaning they are closed for much of the day. These new lounges were developed with support from the Scottish Stations Fund and the Railway Heritage Trust, ie not fully funded by CS.

I wish Scotrail could come to some arrangement with CS to allow access for Scotrail customers during the day. It would encourage more people to upgrade to 1st, whilst providing extra income for CS. CS already have arrangements in place with Scotrail (Aberdeen), LNER (Waverley) and Avanti (Glasgow Central and Euston) so not out of the realms of possibility.

vlad

The most parsimonious venues were East Coast ones barring Kings Cross and believe it or not Waverley. Newcastle, Darlington, Berwick et al, lucky if you got a packet of biscuits in addition to a hot drink.

I take it you haven't used the one at London Liverpool Street? You get somewhere to sit and a hot drink if the machine's working.