• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Having worked on the railways a while what first struck me when joining was the banter with frequent expletives thrown about ( even at manager level) through to the very right wing immigration/benefits obsessed views propagated by the daily star/sun newspapers filling up the mess rooms which seem popular amongst a large number of railway employees. All part of the blue collar ethic ?

We all know the railways pay very well ie a train guard in some cases are on better pay than a qualified teacher... I don't believe the train guard's pay is as widely known as that of driver but that could be for another thread.

To those joining the industry with degrees or a perceived middle class background my question is this: Was the rail industry a culture shock!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I'm not in the railways but the industry I am working in you tend to find things described using a few expletives!

You can be middle class, work on the railways and swear... See it all the time. This "ethic" is not quite as common in my grade and depot anyway. I work with some of the most intelligent, witty and interesting people and some of the swearing is just so funny it's unreal. There are lots of crude individuals but it's mostly funny and good natured. You could find any newspaper in my messroom.

It wasn't a shock to me but then again I came to expect it.

455driver

Veteran Member
Banter is slowly being eroded from the messrooms, cant upset all those delicate little wallflowers joining can we!

fowler9

Established Member
You tend to find the Sun and the Star left lying around because they are basically comics and are not worth hanging on to. Ha ha

Flamingo

Established Member
The most common newspaper in Paddington mess-room is The Times...

fowler9

Established Member

Much more in the Times to keep you entertained while you are sat in the back cab doing nothing (I hasten to add that is a joke, ha ha).

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Does that reflect what is read and left behind by the passengers and collected by the staff*? IIRC Paddington commuters were always a cut above the rest...

*and who's to blame them for a bit of ecological recycling?

broadgage

Does that reflect what is read and left behind by the passengers and collected by the staff*? IIRC Paddington commuters were always a cut above the rest...

*and who's to blame them for a bit of ecological recycling?

Or perhaps it reflects the fact that the Times is provided free to first class passengers and therefore is no doubt unofficialy free for for staff.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Banter is slowly being eroded from the messrooms, cant upset all those delicate little wallflowers joining can we!

:lol::lol:+1 If there is no banter or having a laugh then things get dull very quickly, and I would agree that it is having to be toned down or you are accused of not showing the right "attitudes and behaviours" even in the office environment.

Tomnick

Established Member
On our side, working alone for most of the time, most of the banter happens on the phone between boxes - so you're always aware of the voice recorder, and the decline in the number of 'circuit' phones means that you can't all join in the conversation in most places. It's still a pleasure to share a pot of tea with the S&T or p-way though, well away from anyone who might be offended!

I came from working in offices where most of the training undertaken was not how to do your job better, but how to be more Pink & Fluffy! A term used by the trainers themselves!

I came expecting a difference & wasn't disappointed! My colleagues never shy away from calling a spade an f'ing shovel! Where I do feel at odds with things is when The Company bang on at us being Professional, but then various people in more lofty locations still act think & talk like they did at Stratford or Temple Mills back in the 70s! But at least life isn't dull.

bigbear

we do have nicknames for a few colleagues who i work with, not designed to offend or intimidate just a bit of light hearted fun. we used to have a secret santa at xmas time too, but that fell by the way side to due to certain individuals not liking it or being offended by it...

we do work in a culture now, even on the railway where a lighthearted comment will offend someone in the messroom, which has been the case and you will never know who you have offended but just know by being called in for something youve said that has offended someone...

personally ive never been offended by anything or anyone ive seen, or heard on the railway, but thats just me....but you do have to watch what you say now days, even if the person your speaking too will not be easily offended but know that someone within earshot possibly could be....

Shaggy

Even in these reformed days, the culture on the railway is still a lot more "accommodating" towards more extreme banter.

Also, it is my perception that for whatever reason that some people like to play up to the perceptions. As in "this is the railway, therefore because I can fart indiscriminately in the messroom/office, burp loudly without saying excuse me or swear like a navvy, then I will". I often find the younger guys more guilty of this than the older ones. Personally I find it somewhat sad.

However, if I don't like something then I'll say it to that person's face. I won't go crawling to HR or to another manager, but I have the balls to confront somebody if I don't like what they're doing. For example, I do not swear at anyone or speak to anyone without saying please or thank you. If this happens to me (frequently in my job), I just politely ask that they ask again without the swearing or the lack of manners. Often the person is so embarrassed that it never happens again (or they didn't even realise they had sworn or not said please). On the other hand, one colleague complained to his manager (true story) that I insisted he be polite to me before I did anything for him. Funnily enough I never heard anything about it.

Flamingo

Established Member
FGW are currently in the middle of "Respect and Dignety" training for all staff, which the unions are supporting.

The two videos provoked discussion in my group, and I found them thought-provoking. The usual suspects are sprouting off in the Messroom about it being a waste of time, though.

Welshman

Established Member

Reminds me of one of the reminiscences in Harold Gasson's books of being a GWR locomotive man.

How, every morning, having brought into Paddington a commuter train, and waiting at the blocks for the stock to be released, the driver would be presented with a read copy of "The Times" from a bowler-hatted city gent.

Which, with a well-practised manoeuvre, was passed straight from driver to fireman to firebox in one go! :D

LowLevel

Established Member
I have to confess I'm a bit of a sod for swearing - it's just part of my vocabulary! I do manage to cover it up fairly well as I'm a passenger train guard and obviously you can't be doing it in front of them but when I'm wound up in the mess room it does tend to come flying out. I'm trying to improve myself though with varying degrees of success.

I thought I'd get a lot more banter being a gay enthusiast to boot but I've never noticed any difference in treatment - it's still a 'family' of sorts!

W230

Established Member
To those joining the industry with degrees or a perceived middle class background my question is this: Was the rail industry a culture shock!
Yes. Well, yes and no...

I came from a job that was so institutionalised that I was genuinely amazed to find the railway a step further in that direction. I guess (like my old job) it's because the turnover of staff is so low and people don't tend to move on that much that they (and the grade to an extent). But then I noticed while at a large SET depot recently that nearly all the drivers were 40+ and had been in the grade for 10+ years. Guess that helped to reinforce my opinion! :lol:

Don't get me wrong I love the job and there is banter. But there's also a lot of grumpy old men who love to whinge all day, every day.

The funny thing is, when they talk about the good old days it sounds a bit shi* to me! <D Full of bullying individuals and rules about which table you could sit at...

The other thing being that once I've been in the grade 10+ years I'll be 40+ myself. Maybe i'll be whinging not stop too! ;)

Quickthorn

I can't say I've been shocked by anything I've heard so far. Most people I've met are pretty good natured with it, and there's not as much swearing as my last few jobs n forestry.

The worst I remember were the manufacturing industry office jobs I did a fair few years ago: the sheer spitefulness of some people was a little hard to take.

Journeyman

Established Member
Interesting observations. I worked for London Underground for eight years and found it to be the most hardcore politically-correct company I've ever come across. You had to be REALLY careful what you said and did in certain places, and even extremely innocent comments could get you in deep, deep trouble. I've worked for 2 TOCs and Network Rail as well and was quite surprised by what you could get away with saying in these places in comparison.

I think there's much more honesty in the rail industry than there is in the other places I've worked - people are frank and say it like it is a lot more than they do in more general office culture. The office politics in some of the places I've worked are just ghastly and it's why I'm itching to get back on the rails after nearly five years away.

pitdiver

Interesting observations. I worked for London Underground for eight years and found it to be the most hardcore politically-correct company I've ever come across. You had to be REALLY careful what you said and did in certain places, and even extremely innocent comments could get you in deep, deep trouble. I've worked for 2 TOCs and Network Rail as well and was quite surprised by what you could get away with saying in these places in comparison.

I think there's much more honesty in the rail industry than there is in the other places I've worked - people are frank and say it like it is a lot more than they do in more general office culture. The office politics in some of the places I've worked are just ghastly and it's why I'm itching to get back on the rails after nearly five years away.

I also worked for LUL in my case sixteen years. When it was London Transport there was somewhat of a non PC atmosphere,. However when it became under the control of TfL it changed. I would agree to the degree that if you didn't breath in a politically correct way you would get in trouble.

TDK

Established Member
And the managers, especially NR, use mobile phones to discuss operations issues, so none of it is recorded.

Most calls to signal boxes these days are recorded but if the call is from mobile phone to mobile phone they are obviously not.

Status
Not open for further replies.