• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Thanks very much, I dreamed up some questions about names of locomotive engines

Several Schools class engines were named after establishments outwith the area served by the SR, please name them

The GWR had several 'Abbeys' but no Abbey Class, which class did the Abbeys belong to?

What is unusual about Bricklehampton Hall, Drysllwyn Castle (1 point each) & Broughton Castle (3 points)?

Union Castle and Brancepeth Castle were not GWR Castles, what classes did they belong to?

xotGD

Established Member
Schools: Stowe, Rugby, Harrow

Abbeys: Halls

Unusual: The things they were named after don't exist.

Brancepeth Castle is in the north east. So some form of NE kettle?

Spamcan81

The GWR Abbeys were part of the Star Class.
Union Castle is a Merchant Navy
Brancepeth Castle - B17?
Drysllwyn Castle was carried by three different Castle Class locos at different times.
Broughton Castle ? Bricklehampton Hall ? neither place in GWR territory?
Schools outwith SR area :
Repton - Derbyshire
Stowe - Buckinghamshire
Wellington - Shropshire
Harrow - Middlesex
Cheltenham - Gloucestershire
Radley - Oxfordshire?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
There are more schools not mentioned yet
Abbeys were not Halls or Stars
Unusual names/places? They do/did exist!

I used Observers Locomotives 1955

I shall tot up the answers in the morning, serves me right for dreaming up a multi-question
'Three points' is a clue

Spamcan81

There are more schools not mentioned yet
Abbeys were not Halls or Stars
Unusual names/places? They do/did exist!

I used Observers Locomotives 1955

I shall tot up the answers in the morning, serves me right for dreaming up a multi-question
'Three points' is a clue
Star Class locos 4061 to 4072 were named after abbeys. Of these all but two were rebuilt as Castles and became 5083 to 5092 in the process but retaining their abbey names.

Gloster

Established Member
Were the Abbeys Saints?

Are there three Broughton Castles?

Was Blundells a school? I think that Uppingham was a School
for a while, until the school complained and it became Bradfield, which I would guess is in Essex (at least it is an Essex sounding name).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Were the Abbeys Saints?

Are there three Broughton Castles?

Was Blundells a school? I think that Uppingham was a School
for a while, until the school complained and it became Bradfield, which I would guess is in Essex (at least it is an Essex sounding name).
Blundells was a Schools and was (and still is) a school in Tiverton, so not on a Southern Railway route although only about twelve miles from one (Crediton).

Gloster

Established Member
Blundells was a Schools and was (and still is) a school in Tiverton, so not on a Southern Railway route although only about twelve miles from one (Crediton).
I knew it was a school near Tiverton, but wasn’t sure if it was member of the Schools class.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I knew it was a school near Tiverton, but wasn’t sure if it was member of the Schools class.
That was unfortunately about all I had to offer for this question so I jumped on it. ;)
The only other thing I thought of was that I think ‘Drysllwyn’ was spelt wrong. Maybe the other Castles mentioned were spelt wrongly as well possibly?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
No, not spelt wrongly, but the answers are more to do with language than with engineering

More Schools please!

@Spamcan81
Correct, the Abbeys were Castles in 1955*
Brancepeth Castle was not a B17
@Gloster
You are warm but there were not three BCs
There were two Banbury Castles, 7011 + 5095 (this is not a clue)

* I only have the info from 1955, with rebuilds and renamings it is hard to be sure what was true when

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Having explored further I ran down a somewhat obscure connection to Broughton Castle. I won’t say what it is until asked.

Gloster

Established Member
Well, Waterloo was said to have been won on the playing fields of Eton, but somewhere someone said that World War II was won at the LSE (London School of Economics) and I very much doubt that that was a Schools’ name. An alternative is Westminster (the Parliament), but both that school and Eton are in SR territory.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Shrewsbury is another valid answer, but ww2 was not won there, according to the locals in the small town

It is in three choirs land. A famous composer who lived there gave his name to a class 50 engine

Gloster

Established Member
Something that I heard or read recently in connection with the airfield at Defford, which was used by aircraft operating for the Telecommunications Research Department (TRE). The TRE was moved from Langton Matravers in Dorset, a bit too easy a target for a German raid, to Malvern. I think that in Dorset they used some Avro 504K, a type that had already seen service in World War I.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@SteveM70

Malvern is right, the RRE, or, RSRE, or Qinetic was formed there

Whatabout these, still not solved, look at the names:

Bricklehampton Hall, Drysllwyn Castle and Broughton Castle*
*3 points, the book does not list 3 x BC, but..

SteveM70

Established Member
Broughton Castle isn’t actually a castle, it’s a fortified house. I’m guessing that’s not worth 3 points though so I may be barking up the wrong tree

Gloster

Established Member
Could it be that Broughton Castle, Broughton Grange and Broughton Hall are the same building, although there were three locos? (Presumably one for Twisleton, one for Wykeham and one for Fiennes.)