• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I will open the floor as I may not be able to be online until very late tomorrow. :)

I will set another easy one in the interim period as you have stated "open floor".

What station was originally built as a single platform station in 1874 as a private station serving a castle that had an "arts and craft style" waiting room constructed for it in 1902. It has been closed and reopened twice in its existence to date.

Welshman

Established Member
OK - try this one:-

Through which station were some passenger-carrying trains in the past regularly scheduled to pass twice, to avoid reversal?

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
OPreston. Glasgow/Edinburgh to Blackpool services used to pass through theformer ELR platforms to Lostock Hall, turn right and then right again back onto the WCML facing north, pass through Preston again and head for Blackpool.

steamybrian

Established Member
Brighton- Hastings and Ashford trains all reverse at Eastbourne and pass through Hampden Park twice

Welshman

Established Member
OPreston. Glasgow/Edinburgh to Blackpool services used to pass through theformer ELR platforms to Lostock Hall, turn right and then right again back onto the WCML facing north, pass through Preston again and head for Blackpool.

Correct. :)

I used to wonder what any passengers paying attention thought when they passed through Preston station twice in the space of about 10 minutes!

Old-School

First opened in 1836, which South-East London railway station in Bermondsey, was the first railway terminus in London and the original terminus of the London and Greenwich Railway (the capital's first railway).

Old-School

Neither of the above, sorry folks

extra clue:
this station was rebuilt twice and relocated 200 yards from its original site during the 2nd rebuild.

clagmonster

Established Member
I would imagine that the first were class 465s, thus something off Slade Green. I'm going to have a punt that the first worked passenger trains in the Medway Valley before being let loose on the suburban stuff, as a damage limitation exercise should they fail en masse.

steamybrian

Established Member
I believe the DMU version of the Networkers worked on the Great Western Lines out of Paddington before the EMU version was introduced.

Welshman

Established Member
Charing Cross/London Bridge - Dartford & Gillingham lines?

OK - if that's wrong, let's try a different angle:-

By "operate" I assume you mean regularly, in passenger traffic.

But IIRC, they were built at York, so I suppose, being pendantic, the very first lines on which they operated [as ECS], were the EC main lines on their journey to the South-East. :roll:

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
OK - if that's wrong, let's try a different angle:-

By "operate" I assume you mean regularly, in passenger traffic.

But IIRC, they were built at York, so I suppose, being pendantic, the very first lines on which they operated [ie were dragged], were the EC main lines on their journey to the South-East. :roll:

The 465s were built at York and Met-Cam, but they weren't the first networkers.