• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway General Knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll have a go.

Di-bloc is a form of electric key token working employing solid state interlocking. The first application of this system was commissioned in May 2022 on a UK heritage railway. Which railway and between which two stations?

I’ve looked at what part of the world you’re based in and taken a guess at the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, possibly on the single line section to Dungeness. Unfortunately I’m not sure where it starts though?

RDP

I’ve looked at what part of the world you’re based in and taken a guess at the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, possibly on the single line section to Dungeness. Unfortunately I’m not sure where it starts though?

I'll give it to you. The system is in operation between New Romney and Romney Sands replacing the tablet and ticket system previously used.

your turn.

341o2

Established Member
I believe you are right, and it would start at New Romney
oops, slow internet

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'll give it to you. The system is in operation between New Romney and Romney Sands replacing the tablet and ticket system previously used.

your turn.

Ah. Right line but not where I was expecting.

I’m going to be quite busy this evening so I’ll say open floor this time.

DerekC

Established Member
Which early public railway in the south of England was built to the "Scottish Gauge" of 4ft 6in and operated using it until the line closed in 1939?

Calthrop

Established Member
Which early public railway in the south of England was built to the "Scottish Gauge" of 4ft 6in and operated using it until the line closed in 1939?

With the above being totally new and unknown to me; and feeling intensely curious; I tried to Google (thereby self-disqualifying) -- but can't find anything which would seem to fit your above data ! In increasing torment herewith...

james73

Glasgow Buchanan St? I will guess eleven?

(Not sure what the question was here but...) Glasgow Buchanan Street only had 5 passenger platforms. It had a huge goods yard to the east side of the site.

Had Glasgow North ever been built, then it would've been a 14-platform terminus instead, but we'd have said goodbye to Queen Street High Level forever.

Gloster

Established Member
(Not sure what the question was here but...) Glasgow Buchanan Street only had 5 passenger platforms. It had a huge goods yard to the east side of the site.

Had Glasgow North ever been built, then it would've been a 14-platform terminus instead, but we'd have said goodbye to Queen Street High Level forever.

It appears to be #13,281.

DerekC

Established Member

Sandy & Potton?
The Sandy & Potton Railway was, as far as I can find out, standard gauge - it seems unlikely that it was anything else, as it was built after the GNR had arrived in Sandy. It was taken over by the Bedford and Cambridge Railway and eventually the LNWR and operated as part of the main line network until closure in 1968.

A clue - the railway in question was horse and cable incline worked to the end. As far as I know it never had any locomotives, steam or otherwise.

DerekC

Established Member
The Lee Moor Tramway was this gauge - but didn't close until 1960
Right gauge and mode of operation but as you say, closed later - I think the last commercial operation was in 1947 - after that it was token movements to keep the right of way across the South Devon main line open.
Liskeard & Caradon?
I believe this one was laid to standard gauge from the start.

A further clue - the line in question was on an island (that isn't quite an island).

DerekC

Established Member
Furzebrook Tramway (Isle of Purbeck)?
Wrong gauge, I am afraid. The Furzebrook Tramway (aka Pike Brothers' Tramway) started life in about 1840 using 4ft gauge (the exact figure seems to be uncertain) and was converted to 2ft 8in gauge steam operation by 1866.

In terms of geography you have overshot - and the island we are talking about is much nearer to being surrounded by water!

DerekC

Established Member
I think somebody should be able to get this one without further clues! To recap, this railway:
  • was built (in 1825) to 4ft 6in gauge and was never converted
  • operated using cable inclines with horse power on the level sections
  • was in the south of England, on an almost-island
  • finally closed in 1939

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Was it that thing on the Isle of Portland, whatever it was called? That's not a true island is it...?

No idea if it was a non standard gauge or not, but it's the only island that isn't that I can think of that once had a railway and doesn't now...

DerekC

Established Member
Was it that thing on the Isle of Portland, whatever it was called? That's not a true island is it...?

No idea if it was a non standard gauge or not, but it's the only island that isn't that I can think of that once had a railway and doesn't now...
That's the one. Portland really is almost an island- the natural link to the mainland is via Chesil Beach which involves a walk of about eight miles along the shingle bank - not much fun!

The Portland Railway (often called the Merchants' Railway) ran from a pier at Castletown to quarries in the interior of the island. It was never regauged or connected to the main line network, although it ended up with exchange sidings with the standard gauge branch from Weymouth. The branch itself had a very complicated history involving the GWR, the LNWR, the Admiralty and two or three independent companies.

Your island to play on!

Gloster

Established Member
That's the one. Portland really is almost an island- the natural link to the mainland is via Chesil Beach which involves a walk of about eight miles along the shingle bank - not much fun!

The Portland Railway (often called the Merchants' Railway) ran from a pier at Castletown to quarries in the interior of the island. It was never regauged or connected to the main line network, although it ended up with exchange sidings with the standard gauge branch from Weymouth. The branch itself had a very complicated history involving the GWR, the LNWR, the Admiralty and two or three independent companies.

Your island to play on!

Ahem!

Calthrop

Established Member
At all events -- a thing I'd never heard of before. Highly educational, this board !

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Quite a few details there that I wasn't aware of...

Next question:

The all-modes London Travelcard as we know it was originally issued under a different name before it was merged with the then London Transport only product from which it took the name and was in a very non-standard format. It also had a non-standard colour of physical ticketing.

What was it called, what format was it in - and in what colour?

Bonus points if anyone has one and can show a photograph of it!

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Started as Capitalcard

Was white with red and blue stripes from memory, although for reasons that I can't remember, sure there was a picture of a 13 amp plug

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Started as Capitalcard

Was white with red and blue stripes from memory, although for reasons that I can't remember, sure there was a picture of a 13 amp plug
You have the name, so you are one third the way there, but you are describing the advert for it... not the actual ticket...

xotGD

Established Member
Credit card sized, but vertical format, rather than horizontal?

Blue background, white text?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If nobody gets this by Tuesday evening, I'll post up a picture of some that I still have - I don't want this one dragging on for too long...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
4" x 4" square.

Green
That's close enough... they weren't quite square but they were indeed larger and on thicker card than any other ticket; you could have also offered purple and orange for the colour - they were colour coded according to discounts and whether they were peak or off peak - they also had ones coloured like the then InterCity tickets which were for the out-boundary versions.

Rather than wait until I get home tonight, here's a picture I've just nicked off a website; it was an auction website ( not e-Bay! ) so I won't provide a link as it would likely vanish once the item is sold.

A Google Images search for "London Capitalcard Ticket" should find this and other images of these tickets and their variations.

Anyway, it's your shift in the booking office now - while they last!

1688983297986.png