• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway stations with identical features...hehe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainfanBen

(My first quiz, please let me know what you think!)

Name two or more (Network Rail) Railway stations that both/all share identical propertie(s). Explain why identical

I'm going to make it harder by adding the following:
Both/all railway stations have to be operational, and the identical feature must be PRESENT DAY.
No station name signs, or operator signage.
No Benches
Stations with identical platform configurations/same platform lengths. DONT COUNT
The object(s) cant change/or move
Signalling doesnt count.
Third rail/Overhead power supply dont count.

It might sound restrictive, but I'm going to test your knowledge!!!
To prove it can be done: Tile Hill station (coventry) and Canley (Coventry) have identical footbridges.

By the way: Please dont repeat stations.
Remember: dont break copyright if photos are used!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Bit of a strange one, but New Hythe and Yalding, both with identical station buidlings, both became unstaffed on the same day: 4 September 1989, along with all the other currently unmanned station on the Strood-Paddock Wood line. Does that count?

EM2

Established Member
Maidstone East and Maidstone West have identical track layouts with a third middle road between the two platform roads.
That (to me) doesn't count as a platform configuration ;)

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Okay then, i am going to pick Lichfield Trent Valley and Tamworth

Both have a curving layout, both have a high and a low level and both have a new car park

Maybe that might not do but let me know what you think!

Hydro

Established Member
Deal and Sandwich both have signal boxes adjacent to level crossings at the country end of the down side of the stations. Not quite signalling as they're fixed permanent objects.

4SRKT

Established Member
Poppleton and Cattal are both at the end of short double track sections, with the line singling at the down end in both cases. They both have a level crossing and a signalbox at the down end as well.

EM2

Established Member
Wanstead Park, Leytonstone High Road and Leyton Midland Road have side staircase access only from road level *up* to the platforms. I'm sure many others do too...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Maidstone East and Maidstone West have identical track layouts with a third middle road between the two platform roads.
That (to me) doesn't count as a platform configuration ;)

Begging your pardon, but the track layouts are not identical - the bay at East is still in use; the bay at West is, I am sure, lifted?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah, if the track is still there then I think that's OK.:)

Do we have any forum members in the area who can peer through the dense undergrowth to check this for us?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ah, if the track is still there then I think that's OK.:)

Do we have any forum members in the area who can peer through the dense undergrowth to check this for us?

Quail says it a Down Bay Siding, not shown as out of use, however, I doubt it has been used for many years, much like the UM...

Lampshade

Established Member
New Mills Newtown and Whaley Bridge have identical footbridges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eng274

Kirknewton, Kingsnowe and Grimsby Town are immediately adjacent to a level crossing

imagination

And Wokingham and Midgham (in the latter case you can't get from one platform to the other without using said level crossing)

Established Member
Whole load of them in Yorkshire - Streethouse and Adwick come to mind. Also Chathill in Northumberland, Hartlepool could count as well, Allens West...

Eng274

Both Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street have five passenger entrances

12CSVT

Established Member
There's probably about 500 stations on the national network which consist of two platforms with waiting shelters a couple of ticket machines which are frequently vandalised.

Wyvern

Established Member
Bare Lane too! There's probably loads of them across the country.

Many of the early small stations were halts next to road crossings. The crossing keeper sold tickets as well as looking after the crossing.

Examples are, or were, Attenborough, Coossington Gate, Stanton Gate, Shipley Gate. It made sense to have them where the road was anyway.

Afterthought
Stanton Gate and Shipley Gate may be to do with the former Royal Forest.

Last edited:

deltic1989

Established Member
OK don't know if this will count but here goes. Lincoln Central and Nottingham, Both have flyovers carrying major routes into their respective city centres at the Eastern end of the station.

Ivo

Established Member
London Bridge and London Victoria. Both were operated as two separate halves at a previous stage of their existence even though in the modern era all that separates these "halves" is effectively a wall.

Wyvern

Established Member
That also applies to Birmingham New Street. At one time it was two stations separated by Queens Drive. Even now Midland line trains use platforms on one side and LNWR on the other.

It used to apply to Buxton until the Midland line and station were removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.