• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway tresspass....how would you stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giles01

Call me what you want I think they should be showed a body of someone whos been hit by a train and maybe then they will listen?
Here Here, I think they should be shocked into realising why not to trespass, show em the body or a video of what happens when a person meets a train! Sometimes it's the only way to make people realise the error of their ways!!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Timer

Established Member
Most people who trespass are the sort who would almost certainly enjoy looking at such photographs.

They are also not the type of people you can reason with because they generally come from the less desirable areas, and have little or no regard for authority or the Law, which partially explains why they are there in the first place.

You are more likely to end up being assaulted, or certainly receiving a serious amount of verbal abuse.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much we can do. Re children, education is always a good thing as is a good clip round the ear if caught. But you will still get the "I'm 'ard so I don't give a stuff" types. Kids is kids.

However, the "Gentlemen" who were quad-biking were old enough to know better anyway. Hopefully their story will make some other brainless idiot think twice before doing the same thing. Mind you, adults have been chased and have run across the 4 lines outside at Ilford Depot before when they were caught spraying trains. They were all adults too. No-one got hit, but they still ran over 4 live lines.

Then there are crossings, you can have all the bells, barriers, cameras, signs etc. in the world, people will still ignore them and either a) get away with it, so that's not so dangerous, I'll do it again or b) get hit. In which case they won't do it again, but that's only one person who has learned their lesson. There will then be a convoluted enquiry and it will be found to be Network Rail's "fault", who will then either close the crossing to great gnashing of teeth from the locals or will have to install more bells & whistles when the labour could be better used elsewhere. Cable theives, money is a great persuader. Even when one of their ilk got fried on c2c a few months back (good riddence to bad rubbish), it didn't stop others doing the same thing yesterday at Chelmsford. If 25,000 volts is not a deterant, I have no idea what could be.

In all this I am not forgetting the poor sod driving the train in any of the cases who now is effected for life.

Maybe as part of the "education" people who have been caught tresspassing should be made to walk face-first into a coupler. If it hurts them at 2mph, hopefully they will think what it might feel like at 80mph. But I don't hold out much hope.

Last edited:

Nick W

Established Member
Err, no ....

It's that type of liberal do gooder attitute that has helped get the country in the mess it's in now. "Oh, so your breaking the law? Jolly good. Just make sure you don't get hit though, as I can't be arsed with the paperwork." :roll:

The Police cannot be everywhere at once, and below a certain seriousness of a crime, the police either have to earn co-operation. or issue a fine. In these cases, the perpetrator is usually seen as being the unlucky victims of Police looking to meet a target, and that the Police should target real criminals. Worse still, those people are then far less likely to assist the Police in the future for more important crimes. Do you really think that the fixed penalty policy that we have seen implemented in the last 3 decades has done the country any good?

Trespass on the railways is a criminal matter, so should be treated as one. First offence, £1000 fine or 200 hours community service. Second offence double that. After hat, the offender should be made to help clear up after someone gets mullered by a train.

Indeed, and so is speeding, so is cycling on pavements, smoking inside, being drunk and disorderly. The threat of fines in these cases simply achieve nothing because the likelihood of being caught is low. Therefore, such a policy will not stop the casual offender.

Furthermore, no judge would ever levy so great a fine onto a child, and an unemployed member of society with no further aspirations to work would simply never pay up, would not have enough goods in the home for bayliffs to take to meet the value, would probably skive the community service or would put in so little effort that it would not be worth paying a another member of society to supervise them.

On the surface, forcing someone caught to clean up the mess of someone run over by a train may seem a suitable and effective punishment. However, have you considered that this might be a very delicate and sensitive job? There are may implications if it's not carried out properly, spread of disease, upset to the family of the deceased, enhanced disruption to the railway, destruction of a crime seen.

4SRKT

Established Member
Good post Nick W. I was beginning to think on this thread that I'd wandered into a particularly splenetic edition of the Daily Mail.

Sir_Clagalot

My first thought was shoot them!!
Kernowfem, you may have seen the same video as me, IIRC the kid nearly lost his fingers? and his sister lost her voice from screaming?
Mind, it is over 20 years since I saw it as I will only have been 5-7 years old at the time (we moved away from Lincolnshire in 88), and I don't remember seeing it at my next schools, though the first school was near the Lincoln-Peterborough line, which at the time had HSTs screaming along it. Might have been some near misses so the BTP would be 'doing the rounds' as it were.
Scared me witless mind! A walk my parents liked to drag us on took us across the line on a foot crossing, and I refused point blank to cross, so we had to back track!

googolplex

Was it this video?
I seem to recall seeing this at age 5-7 in school, however it was presented by Keith Chegwin and got the message across.

GB

Established Member
The Police cannot be everywhere at once.

Indeed, but on the rare occassion they actually catch someone they should make an example of that person. If the parents of young children were hit in the pockets I bet they would soon teach their little ones not to do it again.

In these cases, the perpetrator is usually seen as being the unlucky victims of Police looking to meet a target, and that the Police should target real criminals.

There are?? Says who?? Perhaps the individual concerend or the parents who have to pay the fine maybe, but I bet if you asked any of the many commuters, railway staff or general tax payer if prosecuting tresspassers is a good idea they would say yes without a doubt.

Furthermore, no judge would ever levy so great a fine onto a child, and an unemployed member of society with no further aspirations to work would simply never pay up, would not have enough goods in the home for bayliffs to take to meet the value, would probably skive the community service or would put in so little effort that it would not be worth paying a another member of society to supervise them.

Therfore a community order would suffice.

Kernowfem

Don't think it was that one...

It was the one i saw. It worked too. I totaly undersand what you mean about the foot crossing. I wouldnt cross any level crossings on foot after watching it, in fact i hated going over them in the car too.
Even now if i approach a level crossing in the car, i pull up a good old distance from the barriers, put it in park, and put on my handbrake. My worst fear is being hit from behind and shunted onto the crossing...
So even now at 32, its stayed with me. I love the railway, but im wary of it too.

Established Member
Was it this video?
I seem to recall seeing this at age 5-7 in school, however it was presented by Keith Chegwin and got the message across.

Watching that now and looks more like an advert for one of those new intercity-125 trams, whats the gen on robbie these days?

...and to add insult to injury the "copper" brings back the football boots.

the dog gets it too?! mind its a 50 so ill let them off.

after watching it I must say it does get the message across, why dont they show this and "The finishing line" again in schools?

there are 2 other robbie films, one where he gets electrocuted by overhead power the other 3rd rail but I cannot find them

Last edited:

Kernowfem

I know, and I think his feet grew back too so he could step on the 3rd rail

No, he stood on it with his prosthetic limb (i should know i have one, lost it in a car accident before anyone thinks im taking the mick out of amputees!) they conduct electricity just like a normal leg! :D

Seriously, this video worked on me, it terrified me. Id love to see a modern day version of this shown in every school in the uk.

Established Member
No, he stood on it with his prosthetic limb (i should know i have one, lost it in a car accident before anyone thinks im taking the mick out of amputees!) they conduct electricity just like a normal leg! :D

Seriously, this video worked on me, it terrified me. Id love to see a modern day version of this shown in every school in the uk.

Ouch!

It said somewhere they still show it in some schools, but I think an updated version is in order as they may think thangs have changed since the 70`s and they wont get hurt/killed

Status
Not open for further replies.