• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Uniforms 1930's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Shunter

Hi all,

I'm trying to find information on the colors of British Rail uniforms worn by station staff in the 1930s.

Not having much luck. All the photos I can find are in black & white.

Does anyone have any links or what colors they wore please ?

Cheers

Doc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Do you mean British Rail in the 1980s or railways in Britain (GWR, LMSR, LNER, SR) in the 1930s?

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Almost certainly black - or maybe a dark navy.

Strict uniform policy in those days - with no variation allowed. There were 4 large companies . and the only "colour" might have been piped company intials on either hats or on lapels. Probably in yellow or red.

Doc Shunter

Thanks chaps,

To be precise, I am painting up three 28mm figures from the Will Hay film, 'Oh! Mr Porter'. 1937.

Station Master Porter, Harbottle & Albert.

Part of a diorama I'm building.

Appreciate any tips. I'd like to get it as near as possible

So, looks like the uniform was black.

The buttons & piping on Will Hay's uniform. yellow with gold or brass buttons would be correct I assume ?

Last edited:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Thanks chaps,

To be precise, I am painting up three 28mm figures from the Will Hay film, 'Oh! Mr Porter'. 1937.

Station Master Porter, Harbottle & Albert.

Part of a diorama I'm building.

Appreciate any tips. I'd like to get it as near as possible

So, looks like the uniform was black.

The buttons & piping on Will Hay's uniform. yellow with gold or brass buttons would be correct I assume ?

Sounds reasonable - the SM's uniform would have been of better quality that the rank and file of course.

plarailfan

In the railway museum at York, they have some old uniforms on display, although I never really bothered to look closely when I've visited.
There may possibly be some photo's on the internet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.