• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smudger105e

Mods please move this thread is the location is deemed unsuitable.

I have recently purchased a house in Long Eaton, Nottinghamshire, which backs on to the proposed route of HS2, and is immediately adjacent to a level crossing, that will close permanently if and when HS2 arrives.

What I would like to do, provided that cost and things are not too high, is to install a streaming webcam looking at the crossing.

I have no idea how this can be done, and whether a cam could be made to work only when trains pass through (a time lapse cam would probably not catch many train movements), could I somehow have a cam that only comes live when th gates are down? Movement detector would presumably detect road traffic movements as well as rail. Is a domestic broadband connection sufficient to provide a feed?

It will be some time before the house is in a habitable state, and this is only an idea at present, but has anyone had any experience of setting up such a system?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
No idea, but a suggestion would be that you use an audio sensor instead. That way, if you set the limit at, say, 95dB, then it would only activate for a predetermined period (20 mins?) when the sirens on the crossing sounded.

Clip

Established Member
You got the money for a real time upload on constantly? Will eat up data like no ones business.

michael769

Established Member
Are you on cable on Infinity.

Normal ASDL has pretty low upload limits - so you might struggle with bandwidth for full video.

Status
Not open for further replies.